Vorteks Need heat sink and fan recommendations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchased a Hobbywing

EZRUN 4268 SL Motor

and I need a heat sink and fan for it. It's going in a vorteks if that matters.
Links are very helpful. ✌️

If using a heatsink be sure to install it with a thermal pad or thermal grease. Otherwise the heatsink will be useless...

That motor already has cooling fins so as others have mentioned you should just use a fan. I've had good experiences with the Rocket fans. Worth noting though unless you gear that thing to hell and back a 4268 motor in a vorteks is gonna run very cool. I hope you've upgraded the ESC as well because the stock ESC is not going to like that large of a motor.

That motor already has cooling fins so as others have mentioned you should just use a fan. I've had good experiences with the Rocket fans. Worth noting though unless you gear that thing to hell and back a 4268 motor in a vorteks is gonna run very cool. I hope you've upgraded the ESC as well because the stock ESC is not going to like that large of a motor.
Ok just going to get a fan. And fan mounts. 😉
Yes upgrading the esc to a QUICRUN WP 10BL120 G2 ESC (2-4S)
Thanks.

Ok just going to get a fan. And fan mounts. 😉
Yes upgrading the esc to a QUICRUN WP 10BL120 G2 ESC (2-4S)
Thanks.
I would highly encourage you to go to an 8BL150 for that motor. 10BL120 is going to run hot at best and burn out entirely at worst with that motor.

I would highly encourage you to go to an 8BL150 for that motor. 10BL120 is going to run hot at best and burn out entirely at worst with that motor.
The standard 10BL120 is inadequate but they said the WP 10BL120 G2 ESC (2-4S) is 4s rated and was recommended on their website with this motor.
That's why I got it.

If using a heatsink be sure to install it with a thermal pad or thermal grease. Otherwise the heatsink will be useless...
Any finned motor should not be used with a heat sink or thermal paste. They should simply have fan mounts and a fan(s) blowing over the already machined ribs, as they are the heat-sink. Only smooth can motors benefit from a tight fitting heat sink fan mount, with or without thermal paste.

I am very happy with this setup, 50mm fan on a 3660 motor.
20231027_112109.jpg
20231027_112018.jpg

Search for 'rc motor cooling fan 40mm' at Aliexpress.
The standard 10BL120 is inadequate but they said the WP 10BL120 G2 ESC (2-4S) is 4s rated and was recommended on their website with this motor.
That's why I got it.
Hobbywing recommends a Max8 ESC for that specific motor, which I believe is 160A.
That 120A ESC is going to suffer for sure.

Last edited:
Hobbywing recommends a Max8 ESC for that specific motor, which I believe is 160A.
That 120A ESC is going to suffer for sure.
He is right though that the 10BL120 has specs for 4s to run 4268 under 2600kv. Hopefully it's the one under 2600kv cuz it will die otherwise. It might be okay honestly but it's gonna run hot.
Here's the spec sheet

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 1.13.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 1.13.39 PM.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 24
He is right though that the 10BL120 has specs for 4s to run 4268 under 2600kv. Hopefully it's the one under 2600kv cuz it will die otherwise. It might be okay honestly but it's gonna run hot.
Here's the spec sheet
I will keep a close eye on temps.
I got the recommended 2600kv and I figured in the vorteks it should run ok since it's running in a 1/10th not an 1/8th. I'll certainly share the outcome in the build.
Thanks.
Any finned motor should not be used with a heat sink or thermal paste. They should simply have fan mounts and a fan(s) blowing over the already machined ribs, as they are the heat-sink. Only smooth can motors benefit from a tight fitting heat sink fan mount, with or without thermal paste.
That seems to be the what everyone is saying. Going that way.

Back