Granite Which Heat Sink and Fan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebfooball139

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Looking to put a heat sink and fan on my son's Granite Boost that we upgraded to 4WD, and then fried the motor.

I was just going to go with a Arrma one. There looks like there are at least 2 styles, one that more horizontal and one that's more vertical, and then even different once with in those styles. Will any 1/10 set up on my 12 turn arrma brushed motor? It looks like the one that's more vertical is from the BLX brushless model...? I wanted to just get the vertical one off eBay because they are cheaper then Amazon, but want make sure that will work.

Any recommendations and help would be great.

How much will that help the motor stay cooler? After getting it broken in good will be able to run a 12T motor full throttle? Some people were saying with the 4x4 to only got 50-75% power...

Screenshot_20240216-101125.png

Screenshot_20240216-101110.png

Screenshot_20240216-101254.png

Screenshot_20240216-101205.png

Those heatsinks are designed for smooth can brushless motors, the top one might fit with some argument on the 12 turn 550 can, but because the 550 has a torque ring on the outside of the can, the heatsink might have trouble fitting over it. There is an internal fan on the arrma 12 turn motor already but you could try adding a 550 fan mount to help cool it additionally. Ultimately though running a 10th scale monster truck on a 550 brushed motor with 12 turns is going to result in dead motors on a pretty regular basis. The faster you go brushless, the faster you'll stop killing motors. JennysRC has the brushless stuff pretty cheap or you could buy the brushless Boost Box from arrma for not much more money.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...r-module-upgrade-set-boost-box/ARA210005.html

I did the math and getting all the same components on ebay or jennysrc is not a significant savings over getting the Boost Box. These electronics will last significantly longer than the brushed stuff.

Hello everyone,

Looking to put a heat sink and fan on my son's Granite Boost that we upgraded to 4WD, and then fried the motor.

I was just going to go with a Arrma one. There looks like there are at least 2 styles, one that more horizontal and one that's more vertical, and then even different once with in those styles. Will any 1/10 set up on my 12 turn arrma brushed motor? It looks like the one that's more vertical is from the BLX brushless model...? I wanted to just get the vertical one off eBay because they are cheaper then Amazon, but want make sure that will work.

Any recommendations and help would be great.

How much will that help the motor stay cooler? After getting it broken in good will be able to run a 12T motor full throttle? Some people were saying with the 4x4 to only got 50-75% power...

View attachment 348872

View attachment 348873

View attachment 348874

View attachment 348875
Ditch those w/ the heatsink, just get fan mount & a couple good fans like this

Screenshot_20240216_113802_Chrome.jpg

Ok, not heat sink. Thanks for the info.

Those heatsinks are designed for smooth can brushless motors, the top one might fit with some argument on the 12 turn 550 can, but because the 550 has a torque ring on the outside of the can, the heatsink might have trouble fitting over it. There is an internal fan on the arrma 12 turn motor already but you could try adding a 550 fan mount to help cool it additionally. Ultimately though running a 10th scale monster truck on a 550 brushed motor with 12 turns is going to result in dead motors on a pretty regular basis. The faster you go brushless, the faster you'll stop killing motors. JennysRC has the brushless stuff pretty cheap or you could buy the brushless Boost Box from arrma for not much more money.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...r-module-upgrade-set-boost-box/ARA210005.html

I did the math and getting all the same components on ebay or jennysrc is not a significant savings over getting the Boost Box. These electronics will last significantly longer than the brushed

Thanks for the post, $200 is a lot. We can't afford that. If the motor goes out we will have to go to a different motor that better for it, even if we loose some speed. Like 20 Turn, or imlv head changing the gearing would help also... Just stinks because we will loose some speed going those options, but another $200 is not an option for us unfortunately. But I appreciate the info.

Ok, not heat sink. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the post, $200 is a lot. We can't afford that. If the motor goes out we will have to go to a different motor that better for it, even if we loose some speed. Like 20 Turn, or imlv head changing the gearing would help also... Just stinks because we will loose some speed going those options, but another $200 is not an option for us unfortunately. But I appreciate the info.
There are cheaper options but the 48dp spur will be short lived if you go brushless

Back