Kraton Nero motor in Kraton, anyone tried with stock BLX 185 ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crud!!! Finally got Kraton rebuilt from total scratch and tested Nero motor between rain storms out front. Put stock tires and same 16 pinion on, she rips!!! Felt like I was driving my Typhon and Outcast on a bigger MT scale. Sweet exceleration, big wheelie's, crazy power slides....think I'm going to like this Nero motor. Rig is very tight with all new shimmed diffs, need to adjust front turnbuckles and maybe add a couple shims up front, seems to be binding at CVDs a tad. Regardless, this motor has serious punch. Couldn't find my colored shrink tubing, motor wires are tape labeled for the moment.
IMG_20170219_213948721.jpg
Not doing another scratch build anytime soon, but glad to have my Kraton Beast back!!!

Holy crud!!! Finally got Kraton rebuilt from total scratch and tested Nero motor between rain storms out front. Put stock tires and same 16 pinion on, she rips!!! Felt like I was driving my Typhon and Outcast on a bigger MT scale. Sweet exceleration, big wheelie's, crazy power slides....think I'm going to like this Nero motor. Rig is very tight with all new shimmed diffs, need to adjust front turnbuckles and maybe add a couple shims up front, seems to be binding at CVDs a tad. Regardless, this motor has serious punch. Couldn't find my colored shrink tubing, motor wires are tape labeled for the moment.View attachment 7923 Not doing another scratch build anytime soon, but glad to have my Kraton Beast back!!!

Nice! I was wondering if the motor will run off of the blx185. I'm running the complete blx200 system and it's redonculous. Mad power! I have been running it on a single 4s but it's been giving me issues lately. Got a chance to run it on 6s today and I could barely keep it on all 4 wheels. The motor is awesome. It makes me wonder if the blx200 system doesn't like a single 4s battery though... when I ran it on 4s today the batery puffed up like a blow fish. Not sure what was going on with that. Not sure if anyone else has tried and had similar experience. That motor is sick and you will enjoy the heck out of it. I love building cars from scratch....I would do it again if I didn't have so many cars...lol.

Nice! I was wondering if the motor will run off of the blx185. I'm running the complete blx200 system and it's redonculous. Mad power! I have been running it on a single 4s but it's been giving me issues lately. Got a chance to run it on 6s today and I could barely keep it on all 4 wheels. The motor is awesome. It makes me wonder if the blx200 system doesn't like a single 4s battery though... when I ran it on 4s today the batery puffed up like a blow fish. Not sure what was going on with that. Not sure if anyone else has tried and had similar experience. That motor is sick and you will enjoy the heck out of it. I love building cars from scratch....I would do it again if I didn't have so many cars...lol.
Only did maybe 10 minute street test with non thread locked pinion (couldn't wait...Lol) partially charged 6s, but she ripped hard!!! Forgot to replace wheelie bar I had given to my son for his Outcast build, definitely gonna need one. I noticed the motor shaft moves in and out more than I'm use to, but very impressed with power output. I enjoy doing builds too, but got frustrated waiting for backordered parts... Front turnbuckles, rear front suspension mount... I'm a patient person, but having to rely on barrowing parts is getting old...Lol.

Only did maybe 10 minute street test with non thread locked pinion (couldn't wait...Lol) partially charged 6s, but she ripped hard!!! Forgot to replace wheelie bar I had given to my son for his Outcast build, definitely gonna need one. I noticed the motor shaft moves in and out more than I'm use to, but very impressed with power output. I enjoy doing builds too, but got frustrated waiting for backordered parts... Front turnbuckles, rear front suspension mount... I'm a patient person, but having to rely on barrowing parts is getting old...Lol.

Lol! I hear you....that's why I buy random spare parts when I find them cheap...so I don't have a ghost ship....and if you wait long enough you can come pretty close to a complete build like I did...HA! Glad to see your Kraton back up and running. Can't wait to see your next video. Love watching what your going to do next!

Lol! I hear you....that's why I buy random spare parts when I find them cheap...so I don't have a ghost ship....and if you wait long enough you can come pretty close to a complete build like I did...HA! Glad to see your Kraton back up and running. Can't wait to see your next video. Love watching what your going to do next!
Thanks bro, that's the smart way to do it with parts for sure. I'm just waiting for storms to pass, looks like rain until Thursday, we'll see. Really want to get Kraton out in the dirt soon, been too long, curious about this motor with Backflip tires. My guess is torque for days with nice air launches... Lol.

Thanks bro, that's the smart way to do it with parts for sure. I'm just waiting for storms to pass, looks like rain until Thursday, we'll see. Really want to get Kraton out in the dirt soon, been too long, curious about this motor with Backflip tires. My guess is torque for days with nice air launches... Lol.

Yeah. Those backflips are ridiculous! Crazy traction. That should be really nice. You may have to practice a little more throttle control to keep a few wheels on the ground....lol! We've got a little nice patch of weather here on the east coast so I'm trying to get out there as much as possible.

I TOLD YOU, she'd be a beast! I couldn't keep the front down past half throttle. LOL My pinion came loose on the first run, but that was a good thing. I posted something about it in my build thread that the grub screw was cheap! Very shallow and couldn't get it back out until the Maiden flight when it came loose.

I TOLD YOU, she'd be a beast! I couldn't keep the front down past half throttle. LOL My pinion came loose on the first run, but that was a good thing. I posted something about it in my build thread that the grub screw was cheap! Very shallow and couldn't get it back out until the Maiden flight when it came loose.
You were right, she's driving more Beastly then I remember with the Nero motor for sure. I'll need to catch up on your build thread. Can't wait for weather to dry out some again and let her rip!!!

You were right, she's driving more Beastly then I remember with the Nero motor for sure. I'll need to catch up on your build thread. Can't wait for weather to dry out some again and let her rip!!!
Yeah, I saw the weather out West and you guys are getting slammed!!! I hope the 185 works without incident, the BLX 200 might not work with the GKA servo mount. The esc seems longer than the BLX 185. Might have to trim the esc mount. There's a small raised area where it sits and I didn't think about it until it was mounted. :confused:

Any ideas on what size connectors I need? Or do they have some kind of adapters that will just plug in?...thanks, Mike
Mike, I used the motor side wire, lost 1/4" of wire, went with 4mm male gold plated bullet connectors so I can plop the motor in any of my Arrmas with 185 ESC stock connectors. The LHS advised me it may have been better to cut ESC side because the motor wire type is suppose to be a specific length to keep proper timing. I cut them all the same and haven't had any issues, only 2 packs in due to recent storms. He said there is probably a little wiggle room with the wire lengths. I'm not an expert in this area.

Glad it feels good. I'm contemplating getting a spare Nero motor since they're so cheap. My Castle 2200kv on 15T pinion is getting pretty hot, I ordered a fan/heatsink for it. Let us know what the bashing temps are after a full run.

Glad it feels good. I'm contemplating getting a spare Nero motor since they're so cheap. My Castle 2200kv on 15T pinion is getting pretty hot, I ordered a fan/heatsink for it. Let us know what the bashing temps are after a full run.
I ran a near full 6s pack in her yesterday at the park, mostly bark, some dirt, with an 18 pinion and hit 135-140 motor, 110 esc. Had a hard time keeping the nose down, going to try a dirt bash today, hopefully not all mud, and will post temps. May drop down to 17, she hit 61mph with a 16....Lol.

Going to lhs tomorrow after work. Hopefully they have some connectors. I put the Amazon motor on the Nero last night and came to the conclusion that the esc is possibly garbage... Always something....Mike

Last edited:
That's pretty cool temps. I might have to just go for it. I'm putting money into other areas and vehicles right now.
Did a high speed jumping bash today, mixed moist dirt and grass, motor hit 140s, ESC 110-115 tops with 18 pinion. So far I'm pretty happy with this setup. Definitely way more torque at all speeds. Kraton backflipping at speed
BB54F1EEE3F4DBC30FC463935F281194.jpg
off dirt incline across a large field. Don't think I've ever seen her cover so much distance before....Lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back