New HOBBYWING 12s!!! max 5 g2 and motors?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arguing about a product none of you have experience with, it’s starting to sound like an automotive forum after a concept reveal.

Castle’s amp ratings on their software are the same ones used on C-rating Lipos 😂

They may be “consistent” but they’re heavily inflated.
Since when does Castle provide amp ratings for their ESCs? That's always been a point of contention as far as I was aware. Unlike other ESC manufacturers (who do provide continuous/burst amp ratings for their ESCs) Castle doesn't provide any official amp ratings. Or has that changed over time (did they in the past or do they now?). Not trying to :poop: stir, just a genuine question.
AC/DC Amp clamp with proper frequency/maximum or capable wattage meter. Sounds like a good project for someone like the Lipo tester guy to confirm bogus marketing.

If you believe 8-10 gauge wire is capable of supplying 4-600+ amps of current, let’s see it.
I linked a video above where QS8/8AWG connection is tested under 600A+ loads.

Just ordered the 800kv combo for my dbxl. Tired of the castle combo dying on me.
Keep us posted on that. It’s a much more affordable 12s option for that truck, I hope the results are good.
The Max6 and Max5 have always been able to handle 12S, you just needed to know how to hack them.

If you have one, all you need is a cap pack that will handle 12S (50V) and a voltmeter. Connect everything and power on the ESC. The ESC won't fully start because too much voltage. Disconnect the positive lead and wait for the cap pack voltage to go back down to 33V and then reconnect the positive lead. Boom. ESC will now run on 12S.

Learned this from Jason Flores/Flopack.
That‘s crazy! In a good way. That should theoretically lower the ESC amps under load at 12s, right? But a MAX6?!? Wow, I’d have never thunk it.
From where? I only need the ESC but I can’t find it in stock anywhere.
HW is calling it a presale, but I also noticed all of their big G2’s are listed as out of stock in spite of this.
The new hobbywing 1/5 scale system cannot be worst than the XLX2 in reliability. If it does or is similar in terms of failure rate we might need to find a new name for hobbywing. Castle cremations and hobbyswing🤣. In all seriousness im sure hobbywing will be tons more reliable than casltle. I haven't seen a bent motor shaft yet by simply threading a set screw or an esc explode 10secs after its first power up.
HottyWing?

The Max6 and Max5 have always been able to handle 12S, you just needed to know how to hack them.

If you have one, all you need is a cap pack that will handle 12S (50V) and a voltmeter. Connect everything and power on the ESC. The ESC won't fully start because too much voltage. Disconnect the positive lead and wait for the cap pack voltage to go back down to 33V and then reconnect the positive lead. Boom. ESC will now run on 12S.

Learned this from Jason Flores/Flopack.

Yes, it's the short duration. Things do get warm, even with 8AWG and QS8 connectors but if your soldering is good, they should hold for the duration of a speed pass. In one of Raz's videos, he links to a gentleman who did some stress tests with Perfect Pass QS8s (I only specify PP connectors because those are the ones he tested and there are some questions regarding the uniformity of performance regarding QS8 connectors). The connections held 600A for 20 seconds, 1000A for 10 seconds both without failure or desoldering of the connection. He went so far as to test them at 1400A until failure and even under such extreme load it still held for 6-8 seconds IIRC.

Edit: Took me a minute to find it, but here's the video testing the PP QS8-V2 connectors.
Thanks for that, wires weren’t happy but they held a crap ton for a few seconds

Keep us posted on that. It’s a much more affordable 12s option for that truck, I hope the results are good.

That‘s crazy! In a good way. That should theoretically lower the ESC amps under load at 12s, right? But a MAX6?!? Wow, I’d have never thunk it.

HW is calling it a presale, but I also noticed all of their big G2’s are listed as out of stock in spite of this.

HottyWing?
If power draw remains the same then yes, you should see a drop in amp load. I'm 99% sure on the Max6, 100% on the Max5. Now I have to check. BRB.

Edit: Ok, I can't find the video he made but, I know I didn't dream it. And I'm certain he addressed two HW ESCs that could both be hacked in this manner and the only two ESCs that make any sense at all in this context are the Max6 and Max5 as they're both 8S ESCs with very similar power profiles. This is just speculation on my part but I think it's possible that those two ESCs have the same guts and that their amp load differences (which are pretty slim if we're honest) come down to the Max5 having a larger case/heat sink and, by that token, a higher capacity in terms of heat absorption. Maybe slightly larger caps? Something of that nature.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, wires weren’t happy but they held a crap ton for a few seconds
Yeah, he definitely went a good bit beyond what we're generating during speed runs in both current and duration. It's worth noting that the amp values you may seen mentioned here or there about the XLX2 being capabale of 600A, 650A (I've seen a log just north of 700A) are peak values that are only experienced under peak load for 0.2-0.3 seconds after which it falls off fairly quickly. Don't get me wrong, it remains high, relatively speaking. There aren't many ESCs out there that can match it and definitely none at the price point. Just to illustrate, this was a test sprint with a new motor and at peak it hit 629A. But by the time we're at the right end of the pic, load is down to 440A and that's just two seconds later. The orange line is RPMs which you can see is plateauing by that time. I found this test to be reassuring regarding the question of whether 8AWG/QS8 connections are sufficiently capable in terms of what we're asking of them. I also think it helps to illustrate why letting the car (the motor/ESC specifically) cool properly between runs is good SOP.

HottyWing?
I'm hoping it goes well too. I did some rough calculations and I'll be adding about 340 grams of weight to my dbxl going from xlx2 1100kv combo + 2x 4s 8000 mah smc lipos to hw max 5 g2 800kv combo and 2x 6s 6300 smc lipos.

I just wish I knew when it was coming out. I emailed them to ask so hopefully they actually hook me up with some info. :cool:

If power draw remains the same then yes, you should see a drop in amp load. I'm 99% sure on the Max6, 100% on the Max5. Now I have to check. BRB.

Edit: Ok, I can't find the video he made but, I know I didn't dream it. And I'm certain he addressed two HW ESCs that could both be hacked in this manner and the only two ESCs that make any sense at all in this context are the Max6 and Max5 as they're both 8S ESCs with very similar power profiles. This is just speculation on my part but I think it's possible that those two ESCs have the same guts and that their amp load differences (which are pretty slim if we're honest) come down to the Max5 having a larger case/heat sink and, by that token, a higher capacity in terms of heat absorption. Maybe slightly larger caps? Something of that nature.
It’s looking like I might soon be faced with an “extra” Max 6 that’s seen duty in another rig. I might actually try this hack. So, just to be clear…
  1. ESC would have to be set up with bullets on the battery side, not a QS8,
  2. Power it up with a 12s cap pack installed with two 6s packs in series,
  3. Let it fault, remove the positive battery lead from the ESC with a voltmeter installed on the ESC inputs,
  4. Let the voltage fall to 33v and plug the +bullet lead back in while the ESC is still powered up.​
And now I have a 12s capable Max 6? Can this be true? Seems too easy, man. And when I say “smoke and mirrors” I’d be ok with mirrors, but not so much with the smoke… Especially since the HW manual says (paraphrased) any voltage over 8s applied to the ESC will instantly cook it and void whatever warranty you were under the impression that you ever actually had.
And now I want to try it. You’re killing me, Smalls!
I'm hoping it goes well too. I did some rough calculations and I'll be adding about 340 grams of weight to my dbxl going from xlx2 1100kv combo + 2x 4s 8000 mah smc lipos to hw max 5 g2 800kv combo and 2x 6s 6300 smc lipos.

I just wish I knew when it was coming out. I emailed them to ask so hopefully they actually hook me up with some info. :cool:
But hey, what’s an extra 340 grams in an already 30+ pound rig that will now have substantially more power? Only downside is if it still flames out 70 yards into the park and you have to carry it back. There’s a thread about that here for the 1/5 guys. They bring wagons. 😊

Last edited:
Especially since the HW manual says (paraphrased) any voltage over 8s applied to the ESC will instantly cook it and void whatever warranty you were under the impression that you ever actually had.
Don't let this hold you back. It's not like there is much a warranty anyways. Lol

It’s looking like I might soon be faced with an “extra” Max 6 that’s seen duty in another rig. I might actually try this hack. So, just to be clear…
  1. ESC would have to be set up with bullets on the battery side, not a QS8,
  2. Power it up with a 12s cap pack installed with two 6s packs in series,
  3. Let it fault, remove the positive battery lead from the ESC with a voltmeter installed on the ESC inputs,
  4. Let the voltage fall to 33v and plug the +bullet lead back in while the ESC is still powered up.​
And now I have a 12s capable Max 6? Can this be true? Seems too easy, man. And when I say “smoke and mirrors” I’d be ok with mirrors, but not so much with the smoke… Especially since the HW manual says (paraphrased) any voltage over 8s applied to the ESC will instantly cook it and void whatever warranty you were under the impression that you ever actually had.
And now I want to try it. You’re killing me, Smalls!
Yassir. Yassir Arafat.

340g will make exactly zero point 00000023% difference. Only a well educated trigger finger can smell the difference. Just make sure it's distributed evenly across the chassis. Should this pose logistical problems, hammers and rolling pins come highly recommended.

Yassir. Yassir Arafat.
Thank you for posting this hack, if I do it I’ll be filming.
And,
IMG_2616.jpeg

God, I miss the PLO. 😂

Last edited:
Any one know if these new motors will fit in a K8S or O8S ? The castle 2028 barely fits and these new HW’s are longer.
Did I misread your post or did you just answer your own question? :)

maybe it will fit in the k8s with aftermarket bellcrank? definitely no way it's fitting in the outcast.

@Diem Turner Read it. Learn it. Live it. 😊
I shall take it under advisement but, I can make no promises except that I'll put it on my short list (my list of books to read is really...really short). I'm not much of a bookworm and at this point in my life, I have my doubts that an Arafat biography is going to make much of a dent in how I operate in this world. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm only expressing my doubt. :)

I shall take it under advisement but, I can make no promises except that I'll put it on my short list (my list of books to read is really...really short). I'm not much of a bookworm and at this point in my life, I have my doubts that an Arafat biography is going to make much of a dent in how I operate in this world. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm only expressing my doubt. :)
You’re probably right. I’m pretty sure you know which way the wind (has always been) is blowing, so yeah… Long live Yasir. And Sadat, too. 🇵🇸

You’re probably right. I’m pretty sure you know which way the wind (has always been) is blowing, so yeah… Long live Yasir. And Sadat, too. 🇵🇸
Did no one inform you that a hemorrhagic stroke deleted him in 2004?

I kid of course. I know you meant in spirit. :)

Did no one inform you that a hemorrhagic stroke deleted him in 2004?

I kid of course. I know you meant in spirit. :)
I know that you kid. He was poisoned with a witches brew of radioactive isotopes. His grave still sets off Geiger counters. At least his wife lived….

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back