Kraton New Kraton V3 or Build from Roller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goliath76

Reaction score
Howdy Arrma Forum Crew,

I have been anticipating buying a new RC for some time. Coming to the hobby on a bit of a whim about a year ago I started with Traxxas, but am looking for something a bit larger scale with more opportunity to bash. I identified Arrma as my desired path by reading here, and watching some of the resident YouTube stars. My research and looking has drawn me to the Kraton V3 as the desired RC, but given all of the suggestions about Mods, and changes to many different aspects, and out of a desire to do it right and have a rig that will last me for a while, I am on the fence about how best to proceed.

Option 1: Buy a new in box Arrma Kraton from an approved dealer and then mod it as needed.
Pros: Warranty support, should work out of box, less wrenching than a new build. Lower initial cost.
Cons: May have stuff that I don't really want and still pay for (tx/rx, stock servo, stock tires)

Option 2: Buy a roller from ebay and assemble a Kraton with different electronics (esc, motor, servo, tx/rx, etc) and additional parts (body, wheels/tires, bearings, supports, etc).
Pros: Get an end product that is (hopefully) superior as a starting point than a NIB. Better overall familiarity with build. Verification of all bits to ensure it works well.
Cons: Can't just open the box and bash. Overall higher cost. No warranty support.

It seems like many of the folks posting start from stock and mod from there, but I am not sure if that is because the feeling is that the preponderance of the stock parts are good enough, or because the folks parting on ebay are asking too much for rollers, or for some other reason.

So the question for all you skilled Kraton owners out there, if you had it to do again would you buy a new in box Kraton or would you build one from roller/parts?

Thanks for your time. Bash on.

Goliath

The warranty is awesome and customer service is great. My last truck was 1st Gen emaxx a few years back and I'm back in it and I would recommend RTR, with 6s it is a beast

The Arrma RTR's are pretty good value. The Motor/ESC combo is something that in a lot of RTRs is quickly replaced, but for the Kraton, you get a decent ESC with a very strong motor. The servo is not great, and the radio is pretty basic, though. In addition to all the electronics, the Ebay sliders also need tires and a body, so factor that into the cost.

As a current Arrma Kraton/Typhon owner with a box full of spares, my next want would be a Outcast or Notorious. For me, I would buy the RTR, because I would want the body and tires. If I was going for another Kraton, I would probably get a Ebay roller, as I don't really get excited about the stock body or tires.

I would just go RTR and sell the TX. Keep the servo in it, sounds like you already have a back up, and keep the Mino’s for pavement. You can’t beat the warranty and the motor and esc are pretty good out of the box. Plus it’s ready to go when you receive=immediate bashing.

Jerry-rigged and Mongoose,

Thank you for the feedback. I had read about bad ballooning on the stock Mino tires on 6S, so assumed they wouldn't be great for pavement speed runs. Have they held up ok with that use for you? Watching a brand new RC shred tires, watched my brother detonate an X-Maxx tire on run 2, is pretty crap. I have read a lot about the failing servos, and the weak torque they have, but I guess I wondered if the gears could be upgraded or something (the Traxxas 2075 has an analogous Savox steel gear set you can drop in, and OEM has one as well) to "fix" it? Or are the failures more fundamental to the servos? From all of the writing I have seen the Outcast/Notorious stock Backflips are the tires to beat for the Kraton, so in either of my options I am buying a set of tires.

Thank you both for the feedback.

Goliath

No problemo. As long as your end points are set right the servo works well...is it slow and under powered? Yes, but it works and is reliable. Plus, it’s under warranty so you could swap it out and put your other servo in while you are waiting on the replacement, so no down time.

As for the Mino’s, I hate them and they do ballon BUT they are great to run if you know you will be running parking lots or on the street. To me they are a sacrificial tire to use when it’s too muddy and the only place to run is in a parking lot. This way I don’t wear down my Backflips. The Mino’s are pretty good on dry packed dirt too....but nothing else lol.

It is mostly preference. Rollers are a lot of fun to build. I'm considering it myself but I already have the body wheels and electronics to go on it.

If there is a particular build your seeking or wanting to do then a roller would be best, I have thought about the same thing but if cost is no issue then you would be more happy to have want you want and like me, you get to build it yourself

Im new to all this and I bought two used RC
An outcast and kraton. I figured I would rebuild them back up. Not sure how I feel now. I think I'd go back and get one brand new, because I'm not a basher....but this way. I will bash them and not care about it too much.

Still have to find the time to take them apart and rebuild.

I’ve done both and recommend buying new for first the one. Don’t buy a whole bunch of upgrades right away. Get good batteries, charger and maybe even a second car to let the other cool or when the other is broken. (You may end up with a collection...) I guess it all depends how much money you have to spend. You will want some extra arms, servo, shock ends, hardware, shock and dif oil, good tools and a set of bearings. These aren’t upgrades but things you will need. Kraton is a great truck stock and as things break or you feel something is holding the car back then it is time to upgrade.

Arrma 1:8 trucks buggies have so many upgrades and possibilities in what you can do. I am fixing weak links and figuring out what make of kv motor and esc, shock build and wheels that fit my bashing and terrain I have to play on. I would love to race but we don't have any tracks around. To each one his own build good luck and enjoy

I kind of recommend new depending on price/condition of used. I spent a decent amount on my Nero and had to put some money into it to get it up to snuff. Parts add up fast even if oem.

If you want to build it you could buy a new one and sell the stock parts you don't need.

I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap Kraton in my area. Even the abused ones are $275+

My next one is the Typhon and I am going to get a roller and install the electronics I want

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back