New Losi U4???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've got the CVD thing right. On about my 6th run one of the front shafts just snapped at the ball (see pic). The other front shaft is warped.

View attachment 101394

During my 4th run I lost power to the backend. Opened up the dif and had metal shards everywhere but the ring and pinion looked good... then noticed that the rear pinion bearing was gone. It just came apart and got ground to bits. (pic)

View attachment 101397

All of this is in addition to the tire issue I mentioned earlier in the thread (right rear just keeps spinning the nut off no matter how hard I tighten it down).
This is just like what Greg experienced with it in his RC Driver review:
(watch at about the 21:30 mark)

Finally, and this is minor but I'm wondering if it's common, the front screens on the body keep popping out (see pic). Not a big deal, but annoying. Wondering if anyone else has this issue. (see pic) I haven't even gotten this thing out of my back yard yet! No terrain, no jumps, nothing.
View attachment 101398

I contacted Horizon Hobby over a week ago but so far they haven't responded to me. Worried they aren't going to be standing behind this product.

You've got the CVD thing right. On about my 6th run one of the front shafts just snapped at the ball (see pic). The other front shaft is warped.

View attachment 101394

During my 4th run I lost power to the backend. Opened up the dif and had metal shards everywhere but the ring and pinion looked good... then noticed that the rear pinion bearing was gone. It just came apart and got ground to bits.

View attachment 101397

All of this is in addition to the tire issue I mentioned earlier in the thread (right rear just keeps spinning the nut off no matter how hard I tighten it down).
This is just like what Greg experienced with it in his RC Driver review

Finally, and this is minor but I'm wondering if it's common, the front screens on the body keep popping out (see pic). Not a big deal, but annoying. Wondering if anyone else has this issue.

View attachment 101398

I haven't even had this thing out of my backyard grass yet.

I contacted Horizon Hobby over a week ago but so far they haven't responded to me. Worried they aren't going to be standing behind this product.
My body panels come out too when I get done running. I'm going to put a little super glue up in the corners. Jim with Jim's bearings has put together a bearing kit for the lasernut now, including the steering bushings. I just ordered mine. I'll shim up my front and rear diffs and swap all the bearings when they come in.

My body panels come out too when I get done running. I'm going to put a little super glue up in the corners. Jim with Jim's bearings has put together a bearing kit for the lasernut now, including the steering bushings. I just ordered mine. I'll shim up my front and rear diffs and swap all the bearings when they come in.
Good to know! Thanks!
Also, had to initiate a chat with Horizon Hobby but they're going to send me replacement parts under warranty. Obviously they can't start fixing this issues yet, the car was just released, but at least I'll get some parts and they did respond.

Good to know! Thanks!
Also, had to initiate a chat with Horizon Hobby but they're going to send me replacement parts under warranty. Obviously they can't start fixing this issues yet, the car was just released, but at least I'll get some parts and they did respond.
Good deal. I only wish I was smart when I saw them come out and researched more to see what parts I should snag while maybe they were still in stock. I did that with the K8 so I already had a lot of the sold out stuff. I've backordered the exotek steering rack and the tekno m6 drive shafts through a main. I got lucky on the rest of the stock parts as replacements at least.

View attachment 101394

During my 4th run I lost power to the backend. Opened up the dif and had metal shards everywhere but the ring and pinion looked good... then noticed that the rear pinion bearing was gone. It just came apart and got ground to bits.

View attachment 101397

This is just like what Greg experienced with it in his RC Driver review

Finally, and this is minor but I'm wondering if it's common, the front screens on the body keep popping out (see pic). Not a big deal, but annoying. Wondering if anyone else has this issue.

View attachment 101398

I haven't even had this thing out of my backyard grass yet.

You guys are spinning a lot of weight in those tires. If its diffing out in the front or rear and you push too much brake OR it instantly gets traction under power that puts lots of stress on that one side. Me thinks heaver diff fluid would help.

It makes no sense that I can run 6s and my CVD's are straighter than a honeymoon d!ck..

I sorted out a fan setup. Prob be in the 130’s now. ? Tomorrow I’ll test it!

AC25C213-5FDC-466C-8424-8DA0D5D32A02.jpeg

4BD95BBB-15C1-41F9-86D8-9DD1D179F647.jpeg

FB8C8100-15E2-4735-88E6-A897FFBE3C91.jpeg

103DEB4B-E251-42CD-8FB4-5FA8E3AA1582.jpeg

Ran a solid 20 min up and down the road and full throttle through the grass and motor temps were at 120. Esc was also 120 with the fan locked up. Going to try to fit a yeah racing one on it

So do any of you that purchased the Lasernut also own the V3 Bigrock. I am stuck between purchasing one of the two. I have driven the Lasernut and loved the way it drove but witnessed a sheared cvd and possibly some internal gear crunching. I want both but can only afford one at the moment.

I don't own the Bigrock... but speaking of CVD's, here's where I'm at with the Lasernut after putting about 8 packs through it...

IMG_0755.jpg

That's THREE shafts sheared off right at the head for those of you keeping score at home. I've also destroyed 2 tires.

I don't own the Bigrock... but speaking of CVD's, here's where I'm at with the Lasernut after putting about 8 packs through it...

View attachment 106961

That's THREE shafts sheared off right at the head for those of you keeping score at home. I've also destroyed 2 tires.
Yeah, I really want one but maybe waiting for a version 2.0 is the best choice.

View attachment 106961

Broke my 1st stock driveshaft yesterday. I have some Tekno waiting to go in it.

No issues with tires, but that is because I switched to metal beadlock wheels and didn't even run the stock plastic wheels and tires.

Otherwise, my 'Nut has performed better than my v2 Armma Granite BLX -> which breaks every time I take it out.
Yeah, I really want one but maybe waiting for a version 2.0 is the best choice.

I think you should ask yourself what kind of driving style do you want out of the car. Soak up the bumps and get some decent air with the U4, or be a bouncy, bumpy. high center of gravity MT that can flip.

I made the mistake as a noob thinking you can strap road tires on a MT and it will perform somewhat like a track car. Exaggerating a bit, but I thought RC cars were a lot less finicky than they actually end up being.

Last edited:
Broke my 1st stock driveshaft yesterday. I have some Tekno waiting to go in it.

No issues with tires, but that is because I switched to metal beadlock wheels and didn't even run the stock plastic wheels and tires.

Otherwise, my 'Nut has performed better than my v2 Armma Granite BLX -> which breaks every time I take it out.

I think you should ask yourself what kind of driving style do you want out of the car. Soak up the bumps and get some decent air with the U4, or be a bouncy, bumpy. high center of gravity MT that can flip.

I made the mistake as a noob thinking you can strap road tires on a MT and it will perform somewhat like a track car. Exaggerating a bit, but I thought RC cars were a lot less finicky than they actually end up being.
I ask myself this often. At the moment I wanted to replace my old Rustler with something better. Big Rock was my answer but just as I was gonna make the decision, my buddy purchased the Lasernut. It drives awesome when it does but too many people, I’m seeing, have issues and I don’t have the income at the moment to feed that itch. So Bigrock it is for now and I’ll wait and see if the U4 gets a reboot.

About 110 battery packs through mine now.

https://www.mojavevalleyrcadventures.com/lasernut-u4.html

View attachment 118826
Another few images
I'm going to have to get those aluminum inserts for sure. Have you had any issues with the bearing on the front of the rear diff? i had one fall apart and i saw a few videos on youtube of people having issues. i upped the pinion to 15 or 17 and added a 40x28 fan to the motor. Also vitavon makes an aluminum brace for the front of the front shock tower that is plastic. I haven't noticed that mine is broke but with the front end impacts i've taken i figure it's a sound improvement. I got the SCT metal hinge pin blocks to put on mine but haven't installed them yet. I figured i'd wait til i did diff maintenance again. I have the tekno drive shafts to put in as well if/when i break one. I ran some DDF wheels on pro line hyrax tires for the udr but i didn't like the look with them being smaller in diameter. For me the stock wheels/tires make the look. I totally dig your research and work on the truck! Gotta keep your page bookmarked to come back to as i change things on it. I've been a little distracted with the losi 8ight xte and mojave builds lately but need to get the nut back out.
Here’s the vitavon part. Arthur tsang can ship them DHL and have them here in less than a week!

Attachments

• DABC71BA-54A2-4F02-B219-678C327B5452.jpeg
    DABC71BA-54A2-4F02-B219-678C327B5452.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 8CD7EB62-5C2A-4C9F-ADDD-86DB26E3B08D.jpeg
    8CD7EB62-5C2A-4C9F-ADDD-86DB26E3B08D.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 61
Greetings,

I swapped out all the bearings with AVID bearings early on and have experienced no problems to this point. I've seen that Vitavon part, but I have not had a use for it yet, and it's just hauling extra weight higher up on the CG of the buggy. Maybe if you're crashing into things, but then again the stock front bumper is scale garbage and you'd be far better off replacing that part.

With the 17 tooth pinion, I'm not sure what will happen. I do not feel the Lasernut is robust enough to run that pinion with the heavy weight and size of the OEM wheel and tires and not start breaking things. On 4s, you're gonna want to have a pretty solid spare parts set on hand. I only run the 12 tooth for our race track, but I also don't run the sway bar.

The aluminum diff cups for the rear bulkhead is a good upgrade.

Glad you like the website. We are deep into tire and wheel testing with the Lasernut now and should have 200 battery packs through it pretty soon.

s

I had to shim up my center diff. It was sounding pretty rough when I got on it. Thought I stripped a wheel! No apparent damage done at least and after the shim job it ran fine with no more scary noises.
What shims did you use I have the some problem and do not have a bit of clew of how to fix it

Hello.

I have a question about this model... Can someone tell me how is easy way to clean it? When you drive in wet conditions is mud on the rc model. Yes car is waterproof but you can't clean with water pressure. Please tell me how to? Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back