New member to the family. WLToys 144001. So much fun for under $100. Added post with home made LED mod for night driving to last page.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just updating this with my thoughts on the new tires and batteries, as well as a new run video. The tires are perfect. Just the right size, and A LOT more traction. So much more traction that it will wheelie now and the tires fall off. I lost a tire while driving and actually found the wheel nut... crazy lucky. But the tires have so much more traction that I had to thread lock the nuts on. They would back off and get loose if I didnt. The new Gartpot batteries are perfect as well. They are the exact fit for the tray, have more punch at 35c, and I get about 10 minutes each. So Ill be buying more. But this little thing is even more fun now. Heres some pics and the new video with a few small wheelies.
View attachment 57983View attachment 57984View attachment 57985View attachment 57986View attachment 57987
View attachment 57988
Gets up pretty good, lot of fun in a small package.

image.jpg
broke it was doing great on road also was able to drift lol. Its minus 11 celius atm and i decided to go on grass it was doing meh maybe because the front shock oil is too heavy 40wt and i lowered the car down too. I hit a little bump car went flying in the air and landed on one wheel and i heard a snap i knew i broke it but its alright going to upgrade to lc racing parts hope they are more flexible plastic. Arrived at home and saw i was missing my spring perch luckly i found one piece of the hub and the retainer but unfortunatly did not found the last piece i wanted to glue them togueter

View attachment 58352 broke it was doing great on road also was able to drift lol. Its minus 11 celius atm and i decided to go on grass it was doing meh maybe because the front shock oil is too heavy 40wt and i lowered the car down too. I hit a little bump car went flying in the air and landed on one wheel and i heard a snap i knew i broke it but its alright going to upgrade to lc racing parts hope they are more flexible plastic. Arrived at home and saw i was missing my spring perch luckly i found one piece of the hub and the retainer but unfortunatly did not found the last piece i wanted to glue them togueter
Wheel landings on these = death to the hub. I've broken like 3-4 of the rears, none of the fronts though. Keep an eye on the rear hub bearings, I've shattered fast eddys in mine a few times.

OK guys. Got a funny story (well not that funny). Anyway as I posted above after bending the stock shock towers so easily I decided I would try the real LC racing ones. They looked identical in the pics. But when I got them the part where they mount on top of the diff case is a bit shorter. So the mounting holes didnt line up. My options were to either dremel the towers a bit so the holes would line up, or dremel a slot into the diff case. Well since the diff cases are so much cheaper I dremeled a slot in the top of them so the towers would fit. I knew I was compromising the integrity of the plastic's strength, but I wanted to make the towers fit.

Well yesterday I was out bashing my 8th scales up and down the street and there is a neighbor that has a 4 year old grandson that LOVES the RC's. A future Arrma owner no doubt. Well I was talking to them about how it works, the controls, etc. And they were hinting that the grandson wanted to touch the controller. Well I stupidly said OK and while I held it and had my hand on the wheel the plan was to have him pull the trigger just a bit and I would steer it up the block for a couple seconds. (Stupid idea I know). Well instead of pulling the trigger he pushed it in reverse and my Notorious went full bore right towards grandmas legs (and she was holding the grandson). Just in time I threw my own leg out and took the full bore of it before it hit her. This would have been a disaster, especially if she would have fell. Now there is a point as to why I am posting this in this thread. They werent mad or anything and laughed it off. I thought well since that was a dumb idea I would go get the 144001 and let him try the same thing with that since it wouldnt hurt anyone. Emphasis on "anyone".

So I went and got the 144001 and he was screeching with joy as I drove it up to them. He wanted to try it so bad. So I set things up the same way. Grandma holding him, while I held the controller and steering wheel. And he was suppose to "PULL" the trigger and I would steer it for a few seconds. Well he did it again and pushed it in reverse full power. This time everyone jumped out the way and I tried to stop it, but it went full bore in reverse slamming into the curb. And this is where my diff case mod ended up being a stupid idea. The rear diff case split in half right at the weak point I had created. They were all upset and apologizing, but I said it was totally my fault. I explained to them if you arent willing to have these break and fix constantly this hobby isnt for you, so I was use to it. Ironically I already had new diff cases on the way, and will be ordering LC racing diff cases and diffs to try them out on the 144001 soon enough.

I guess the moral of the story is don't let kids touch your RC's, no matter how nice you are trying to be. Let the parents buy them a Walmart one and I bet they would still screech with joy at that age. Anyway thats my Christmas RC story. Pics of the damage below, and of stock towers on top of the LC racing ones showing the size and hole line up difference. Could have been a lot worse. Disclaimer: (No humans were harmed in this stupid idea of mine.)

20191225_124054.jpg

20191223_153003-1612x1209.jpg
20191223_160537.jpg

OK. Just an update to repairing this. The LC Racing diff cases I ordered will NOT fit at all. The LC racing one uses smaller diameter bearings and a few other small differences here and there. So what Ive learned is that although it looks the same a lot of the parts between them are not compatible. So Ill just be using stock WLToys parts for it since I know they will work. I already have all the parts I need on the slow boat from you no where. So the 144001 will just keep collecting dust...for now.

OK. Just an update to repairing this. The LC Racing diff cases I ordered will NOT fit at all. The LC racing one uses smaller diameter bearings and a few other small differences here and there. So what Ive learned is that although it looks the same a lot of the parts between them are not compatible. So Ill just be using stock WLToys parts for it since I know they will work. I already have all the parts I need on the slow boat from you no where. So the 144001 will just keep collecting dust...for now.
I'll do a complete teardown and side by side comparison of everything once mine gets here. Just to check and see what parts will work without having to replace a bunch of other parts. Hoping to help others not waste money on parts that won't fit.

I'll do a complete teardown and side by side comparison of everything once mine gets here. Just to check and see what parts will work without having to replace a bunch of other parts. Hoping to help others not waste money on parts that won't fit.

Great idea. I can confirm that the shock towers will not fit without either grinding a slot in them or the diff cases (which is what caused mine to break so easily, and like I said the cases themselves. You might be able to get them to work if you also changed the center driveshaft, the bearings, and the diffs as well. But at that point you might as well just buy the real thing which I just might. I have an idea for my next RC and if that doesn't work out I might buy another 1/14th scale. Maybe a Tacon or the LC. Not sure yet.

Great idea. I can confirm that the shock towers will not fit without either grinding a slot in them or the diff cases (which is what caused mine to break so easily, and like I said the cases themselves. You might be able to get them to work if you also changed the center driveshaft, the bearings, and the diffs as well. But at that point you might as well just buy the real thing which I just might. I have an idea for my next RC and if that doesn't work out I might buy another 1/14th scale. Maybe a Tacon or the LC. Not sure yet.
There are slight differences in the LCs and the Tacons.
LC Racing cars have lexan bodies and 4 gear diffs the Tacons have PVC bodies and 2 gear diffs. Considering the bodies are about $20 and the diffs are $11 a pop I think the difference in price between the LC and Tacons become negated. However I have not had any issues with the 2 gear diffs.

There are slight differences in the LCs and the Tacons.
LC Racing cars have lexan bodies and 4 gear diffs the Tacons have PVC bodies and 2 gear diffs. Considering the bodies are about $20 and the diffs are $11 a pop I think the difference in price between the LC and Tacons become negated. However I have not had any issues with the 2 gear diffs.

Good to know. I was leaning towards a Tacon but didnt know about these differences. The other possible RC I might get is a blast from the past. (My 1st Hobby grade). Might get both (1st RC and 1/14th). Found great deal.

Well I decided not to buy another 14th scale (sorta). What I mean is Im not buying a Tacon or LC just yet. But what I did was buy a whole 144001 off Ebay being sold for "parts". Its in perfect condition with the exception of needed a servo. So I paid $50 for it. This way I have a TON of extra parts to swap around. I have no idea where the parts are that I ordered from Banggood since they didnt provide tracking. But it'll be nice to have an extra for almost all parts for the 144001 I already have. And the one I just ordered has the "better" external on/off switch. The one I got came with a hard to reach plastic button on the top of the esc. Anyway the one I just ordered is in great shape. Tires, body, shocks, and everything else look good in the pics. Will update as I go with this little project.

Wat how lol
Idk I pulled it out of the box and it was broke. ?‍♂️ Thankfully I had spares, the LC caster blocks and front hub carriers will work, but you have to change out the hub bearings to 4x8x3mm.

Shocks.
  • Front.
  • Lc Racing are 65.5mm eye to eye.
  • WL Toys are 71mm eye to eye.
Lc Racing on right, WL Toys on left,
20200108_205038.jpg

• Rear.
  • Lc Racing are 69mm eye to eye.
  • WL Toys are 71mm eye to eye.
Lc Racing on the right, WL Toys on the left.
20200108_205104.jpg

All of the WL Toys shocks are overfilled.

Axles are both 2.5mm in diameter.
20200108_194225.jpg

WL Toys front hub bearings are hilariously tiny even compared to the already tiny LC Racing 4x8x3mm hub bearings.
20200108_195058.jpg

20200108_195107.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back