New member to the family. WLToys 144001. So much fun for under $100. Added post with home made LED mod for night driving to last page.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The battery tray max dimensions stock are 72 X 38 X 18mm. I see a few ways to extend that pretty easily but I decided to stay in the stock dimensions for now. I ordered these. Ill run these for awhile then start looking at some 2000mah batteries.
71c8O5Bjv4L._SL1500_.jpg

Got an ESC question. When LVC kicks in does the car just completely shut off? No steering, no driving, nothing? I ask because I was testing run time and I got a solid 10 mins out of the first pack. Things were pretty hot, but I didnt think it was overheating. So I put the other pack in, and about 7 mins in it shut off. I thought it was just LVC but when I checked the packs voltage it was at 3.5 ish, when the other dead one was at 3.1. So Im thinking maybe it overheated? Not sure. But I decided to remove the oil I had put in the diffs just in case it was creating too much drag and I just lightly greased them which is how it came. Seems a lot smoother now, and Im hoping it stays cool.

Well before I completely wear out all the tread on the stock tires I thought I should look into some cheap "street" tires. And I sure found some cheap ones. $9 on Amazon for these. Glued them on and they actually look pretty good. haven't drove it yet with them on, but Im pretty sure they will hold up. I did have to redo the diffs again though. The fluid idea didnt really work out all that well so I just greased them. And bent a shock tower, although not sure what did it, but nothing a vise and a hammer couldnt fix. Anyway I ordered the LC RACING Shock Tower Set for EMB-1. Hope they are a little tougher. But I did hit a few things that may have caused the bend. Anyway I have the towers on the way, some better batteries, an extra set of A-Arms, and another set of parts that will be good to have on hand.

20191218_014300.jpg
20191217_230719.jpg
20191217_230706.jpg
20191217_230733.jpg
20191217_230907.jpg
20191218_033053.jpg
20191218_033027.jpg
20191218_032938.jpg
20191218_032955.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work!
I tried thise same tires on my lc sct.
They work, but yep, they are cheap, lol

Well before I completely wear out all the tread on the stock tires I thought I should look into some cheap "street" tires. And I sure found some cheap ones. $9 on Amazon for these. Glued them on and they actually look pretty good. haven't drove it yet with them on, but Im pretty sure they will hold up. I did have to redo the diffs again though. The fluid idea didnt really work out all that well so I just greased them. And bent a shock tower, although not sure what did it, but nothing a vise and a hammer couldnt fix. Anyway I ordered the LC RACING Shock Tower Set for EMB-1. Hope they are a little tougher. But I did hit a few things that may have caused the bend. Anyway I have the towers on the way, some better batteries, an extra set of A-Arms, and another set of parts that will be good to have on hand.

View attachment 57657View attachment 57658View attachment 57659View attachment 57660View attachment 57661View attachment 57662View attachment 57663View attachment 57664View attachment 57665

I actually bent one of the LC Racing towers once, not even sure how I did it but it wasn't bent like that, it had a slight twist to it, took about a year of thrashing before it did bend though. So I would think they would hold up a bit better.

Nice work!
I tried thise same tires on my lc sct.
They work, but yep, they are cheap, lol

I managed to burn through a set of those with the gold wheels in like 2-3 packs in my Team Associated Apex, but the stock tires only lasted about that long too. ?‍♂️

Have you tried putting oil in the shocks? I tried on my a959b and its great but you have to refill them every couple hours:)

Have you tried putting oil in the shocks? I tried on my a959b and its great but you have to refill them every couple hours:)
The 144001 already has oil shocks

View attachment 57657View attachment 57658View attachment 57659View attachment 57660View attachment 57661View attachment 57662View attachment 57663View attachment 57664View attachment 57665
Tires look so tiny on it
Still waiting for mine been 6 days since it arrived at vencouver? Still says delivery for 23 of december

I checked them yesterday and they were already full and hadn't leaked at all.. yet
The 144001 already has oil shocks

Tires look so tiny on it
Still waiting for mine been 6 days since it arrived at vencouver? Still says delivery for 23 of december

I agree on the tires. They are a bit small, and the funny thing is they are listed as 10th scale. Lots of reviews of people with actual 10th scales saying they are too small. I might look into some with a bit more diameter. Having a hard time finding any street tires that arent 65-69mm. Everything Im finding is 16th scale and is the same smaller size that I have now. Ideas?

Decided to try these here. They are 76mm which is only a few mm larger than stock. And should hold up longer on the street.

716QS17PncL._SL1001_.jpg

Last edited:
Just adding a link to a YT video I recorded of the 144001. Im driving one handed here to record so its not exactly exciting. But just thought Id add this so others can get an idea of its stock speed. Its bone stock other than the "street" tires I added. I am honestly suprised at how well the tires have been working considering they were $8. Plenty of grip once the rain dried off the road. Had a close call. Reminded me of the Traxxas Jato that got destroyed the first time I drove it.

I checked them yesterday and they were already full and hadn't leaked at all.. yet

I agree on the tires. They are a bit small, and the funny thing is they are listed as 10th scale. Lots of reviews of people with actual 10th scales saying they are too small. I might look into some with a bit more diameter. Having a hard time finding any street tires that arent 65-69mm. Everything Im finding is 16th scale and is the same smaller size that I have now. Ideas?

Decided to try these here. They are 76mm which is only a few mm larger than stock. And should hold up longer on the street.

View attachment 57766
They are for 1/10th scale, 1/10 touring cars run 64mm tires.

Just updating this with my thoughts on the new tires and batteries, as well as a new run video. The tires are perfect. Just the right size, and A LOT more traction. So much more traction that it will wheelie now and the tires fall off. I lost a tire while driving and actually found the wheel nut... crazy lucky. But the tires have so much more traction that I had to thread lock the nuts on. They would back off and get loose if I didnt. The new Gartpot batteries are perfect as well. They are the exact fit for the tray, have more punch at 35c, and I get about 10 minutes each. So Ill be buying more. But this little thing is even more fun now. Heres some pics and the new video with a few small wheelies.
20191221_092721.jpg
20191221_092747.jpg
20191221_092907.jpg
20191221_140536.jpg
20191221_142222.jpg

Gartpot battery.jpg

Just updating this with my thoughts on the new tires and batteries, as well as a new run video. The tires are perfect. Just the right size, and A LOT more traction. So much more traction that it will wheelie now and the tires fall off. I lost a tire while driving and actually found the wheel nut... crazy lucky. But the tires have so much more traction that I had to thread lock the nuts on. They would back off and get loose if I didnt. The new Gartpot batteries are perfect as well. They are the exact fit for the tray, have more punch at 35c, and I get about 10 minutes each. So Ill be buying more. But this little thing is even more fun now. Heres some pics and the new video with a few small wheelies.
View attachment 57983View attachment 57984View attachment 57985View attachment 57986View attachment 57987
View attachment 57988
I had the same problem with my truggy, had to loctite on the darn wheel nuts.

Needs more MT status :p
JD9hxpP.jpg

I got my wltoys 144001 today i was exicted i noticed the shocks were not fully compressing i already knew it was an assembly issue so i opened the cap and removed a but of oil ao it was fully compresing. I started to regrease the diffs. Then i noticed the car shakes violently at randomly speed. And after an hour of investigation it was the dog bones when they you lift the car on the air . And then my shocks started to leak.. idk why i rebuilded 2 already with green slime and holds but atill leaks a little. Its a low leak speed honestly im a bit disapointed
Might have to find metter orings or remplace the shocks completly. The orings seems fine they are flexible made of silicone

I got my wltoys 144001 today i was exicted i noticed the shocks were not fully compressing i already knew it was an assembly issue so i opened the cap and removed a but of oil ao it was fully compresing. I started to regrease the diffs. Then i noticed the car shakes violently at randomly speed. And after an hour of investigation it was the dog bones when they you lift the car on the air . And then my shocks started to leak.. idk why i rebuilded 2 already with green slime and holds but atill leaks a little. Its a low leak speed honestly im a bit disapointed
Might have to find metter orings or remplace the shocks completly. The orings seems fine they are flexible made of silicone
I would try the LC Racing orings before buying new shocks, the shipping is going to kill you though https://riptiderc.com/shop?olsPage=products/l6087-o-ring-set&page=1&sortOption=ascend_by_price

I tried to find the LC racing o rings but its so rare nobody has it :/ im going to ask my hobbyshop tomorrow if they can find a match
What a pain in the butt
What do you mean nobody has it?
That link I posted has them,
these guys have them https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...duct_id=1619&sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100
here they are https://www.nitrorcx.com/25p-l6087.html,
here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32665910606.html

But here are the shocks https://www.nitrorcx.com/25p-l6022.html
https://www.nitrorcx.com/25p-l6021.html

When i say nobody has it i mean the hobbyshops. I ordered once on alliexpress and never received my order or my money back never
Luckly it was 1$
The second link is a bit interesting but i don't really trust the website

When i say nobody has it i mean the hobbyshops. I ordered once on alliexpress and never received my order or my money back never
Luckly it was 1$
The second link is a bit interesting but i don't really trust the website
I buy stuff from Nitrorcx all the time. Heck I bought my Tacon Valor from them.

Got the LC Racing sgock towers today and ran into an issue. They are shaped just slightly different than the stock ones. So the mounting holes don't line up. Had to dremel a slot in the gearbox so they would fit. Works but don't like the gearboxes all cut up.

Ill be ordering the real LC Racing gearboxes soon to get it right.

20191223_160537.jpg
20191223_153003-1612x1209.jpg
20191223_161727-1612x1209.jpg
20191223_161732-1612x1209.jpg

I buy stuff from Nitrorcx all the time. Heck I bought my Tacon Valor from them.
image.jpg

My hobbyshop found these from hpi they are toghter like they should have been to prevent leakage from the shaft and when the shaft goes trought it expends and becomes the same size as the stock ones
image.jpg

*my screwdriver is 3 mm thick
image.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back