Typhon New motor and esc for in my Typhon 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamVorst

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hi all,

I want to buy a new esc and motor for my typhon 3s. I want the hobbywing max10 motor combo. But there are three option motors. A 3200, 4000 and a 4600. Which one is the best for going the fastest with eventually a bigger pinion? And the esc is capable of doing 4s but are these motors too? I was thinking about the 4000kv because I have already a 3200kv.

Thanks,
Sam

Hi all,

I want to buy a new esc and motor for my typhon 3s. I want the hobbywing max10 motor combo. But there are three option motors. A 3200, 4000 and a 4600. Which one is the best for going the fastest with eventually a bigger pinion? And the esc is capable of doing 4s but are these motors too? I was thinking about the 4000kv because I have already a 3200kv.

Thanks,
Sam
Go lower KV, and gear up with bigger pinion. Lower KV is more power/torque. If running HW, I recommend Max8 with a 2600kv, and can run 4s or 3s.

Thanks,
What if I keep driving on 3s. Can i buy the 4600kv or is that too much for 3s?

Thanks,
What if I keep driving on 3s. Can i buy the 4600kv or is that too much for 3s?
Yeah general rule of thumb is to keep the motor under 50k Rpms. 4600kv on 3s is almost 58k.

So it is too much?
I heard from a friend if I buy the max8 with a 4600 I still can run it on 4s. Is that true?
No, it is not true. 4600kv on 3s is running almost 58,000 rpms. On 4s it's gonna be over 68,000 rpms. Like Slick said, you wanna keep the rpms below 50,000, no matter what ESC you use.

No, it is not true. 4600kv on 3s is running almost 58,000 rpms. On 4s it's gonna be over 68,000 rpms. Like Slick said, you wanna keep the rpms below 50,000, no matter what ESC you use.
Alright! Thanks

So I made my choice, I'm gonna buy a max10 with a 4000kv motor
that is on 3s 44000rpm which is under 50k.
Anybody an idea what's the biggest pinion I can use?
I have seen a video on Youtube where MrMad2424 used stock electronics with a 29t pinion. and he reached a speed of 81.1mph.
The video from MrMad2424

So If I use a 29t on 4000kv and I have to believe the speed I can reach with the radiocontrolinfo RC Car Calculator a speed of 101.4mph. I know this is theoretical. Because you don't have resistance or something.
Calculator

Can I use that 29t safely on my new 4000kv motor? Or is that too much?

I now know, that a motor doesn't like it to go above 50k so Is there also some mnemonic for the max size pinion I can use?

I’m not the expert here, but your setup and your goals don’t really seem to align.

Gearing that high with a 4000kv motor on 3S isn’t going to work. The oomph won’t be there and it’ll overheat very quickly.

I’d guess the biggest pinion you can reliably use with that 4000kv motor is about 13/14 off road or 15/16 on road. Maybe a little higher for short speed runs.

Most 1/10 scale trucks use a motor with a kv rating of around 3200-3500kv. The reason being that with the weight of the truck you need the torque of the lower kv motor to get the truck moving. The higher 4000kv motor will not have enough torque to move the truck sufficiently with that big of a pinion gear, just like @dure0016 is saying.

If you wanna do speed runs, the best thing to do would be to get the Hobbywing Max10sct 120amp ESC and a 2950kv motor and you will be able to run it on 4s. You can also gear up to get the speeds that you want. On 3s, a 4000kv motor just won't have enough torque.

Most 1/10 scale trucks use a motor with a kv rating of around 3200-3500kv. The reason being that with the weight of the truck you need the torque of the lower kv motor to get the truck moving. The higher 4000kv motor will not have enough torque to move the truck sufficiently with that big of a pinion gear, just like @dure0016 is saying.

If you wanna do speed runs, the best thing to do would be to get the Hobbywing Max10sct 120amp ESC and a 2950kv motor and you will be able to run it on 4s. You can also gear up to get the speeds that you want. On 3s, a 4000kv motor just won't have enough torque.
I was looking around this morning and was surprised to see that this truck comes with a 3800kv motor. What’s your take?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-b...k-king-shocks-los03020v2t1/p-qqqcqauqnczvqctz

Last edited:
And are you looking at doing speed runs with it or off roading? Because that will play an important roll in what system you want as well.

The Redcat MT10E has a 4400kv motor and only a 80amp ESC. But it is underpowered til it really gets moving.
I think a lot of guys end up with the Max10 SCT 3200kv combo in that as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back