Typhon New typhon. Questions about nimh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1st arrma

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, new here. Just got this buggy for my son and he loves it.... So do I!
Really fun driving off-road. Was used to my other son's rustler. It's more street than anything. Super fast but the typhon is plenty quick and very enjoyable. Will get the inevitable upgrades (just can't help it) for now I'm running the nimh battery. Can this esc handle 2s lipo?
Also, is it good to discharge/charge the nimh? If so, at what amp?

IMG_20210815_112409.jpg

IMG_20210815_112401.jpg

IMG_20210813_203856.jpg

IMG_20210813_200737.jpg

NiMH aren't as touchy as LiPos about storing them charged. I have never bothered putting one at a storage charge. I charge my son's NiMH at 1C (ie. 1.8A for an 1800 mah battery.

My sons' Granite Voltages have a jumper on the esc to switch between NiMH and LiPo. I run a 2s LiPo in one and the stock NiMh in the other. The LiPo has more punch, but top speed is pretty similar.

Thanks for the input. When the time comes, ill swap for brushless and keep it at 2s lipo. For now, my son is having a blast with this. What other parts are recommended once you go lipo.

Was out bashing earlier and after about 20 mins of play, I wasn't able to reverse with it....intermittently. I would sometimes hear a constant beep.

I used 2s when I had a brushed granite and I used it for a while…but I almost lost my granite by using that I even had the jumpers set correctly. I was driving and I heard a pop and next thing ya know smoke is coming out of all sides…it completely melted my esc and I just upgraded to brushless. It took 7 cleans to get the burnt electrical smell off the car. I wouldn’t recommend it…I did hour’s of research and I’m sure it was the fact that I was running 2s on a brushed esc.

What brushless motor and ESC did you upgrade to? What’s else did you have to upgrade? I’m running lipo 2s batteries and smoked my motor after swapping out for the metal spur gear.
What brushless motor and ESC did you upgrade to? What’s else did you have to upgrade? I’m running lipo 2s batteries and smoked my motor after swapping out for the metal spur gear.

I did this combo:https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Bru...cphy=9033511&hvtargid=pla-1173459248840&psc=1

ESC rocks and the motor...well it wore out fast...I would recommend the motor that comes in stock 3s arrma cars.

list of upgrades:

3s slipper assembly
added a outcast 4s wing
traxxas maxx roof protector
3s motor module
12mm wheele hex
wheele bar
hot racing aluminum pivot balls
proline badlands
16t pinion

were you using a brushed motor if your were than that's why. if you were using brushless motor it shouldn't have done that.

Also I see your a new member! Welcome to the forum! People are helpful and kind and you will find most of your answers here as well.

NiMh batteries definitely like to be stored at a discharged state. As far as charging, start with the 1C rate (2000 mAh battery would equal 2 Amps for 1C). If the battery is not hot after being fully charged then try bumping up to 1.5C or higher. If your battery is hot to the touch when charging then you are charging at too high of a rate.

Can this esc handle 2s lipo?
Also, is it good to discharge/charge the nimh? If so, at what amp?
Yes it can handle 2S lipo.

I never had to discharge nimh, that was done running them. I would stop running nimh when the vechicle would significantly slow down, but never deplete them until the vehicle would not move. This would leave some mah in them to sit until charging them for next time. You don't want to completely discharge nimh like nicad.

Nimh is way more forgiving than lipos, had friends that would fully charge them, let them sit for days/ weeks and no adverse effects.

Charge rate is 1C like lipos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back