New World Record

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that Raz Schifrin is operating under carefully scrutinized conditions -- using photosensors and a carefully measured length of track to compute speed, etc.
This gentleman may have hit 208mph, but even a 5% error in the GPS measurement could put him below 200mph. We don't really have any way to know the accuracy of that measurement.
Raz at the ROSSA event couldn't do 190+.
Back at home he could go 198. Makes you wonder if it is the running surface, the downhill advantage or tailwind? Or the GPS.

I can tell you these SKY RC GNSS are incredibly accurate.

Before I got back into RC cars for years all's I did was run my electric rc boats which I still do just not as much thanks to arrma got me hooked .I have 5 plus I started building my own from wood a few years back and never finished lol again thanks to arrma.sometimes when I go to the pond I have been told I was bothering the wild life and they would say the fish can't eat because I'm making to many waves.🤣 I honestly had the most confusing look on my face and just had no answer to give back .my first reaction was to flip out on them for even saying something that made no sense..when on the other side of the pond someone fishing was ripping out the insides of a bass he had caught and was destroying the fish just to get back his Walmart hook..lol don't say anything to him but yell at me for making a few splashes.i swear people these days make no sense..

Oh wow I did not know that .I just thought if a record was broken all you needed to do was report it .proove it and done deal..I thought tax payers payed for it.haahha🤣🤣 thank you @LibertyMKiii 🗽
someone always says I am upsetting the birds the pond I run on always has kids swimming & paddle boarding on one end so I go to the opposite end that's never used as you have to climb over rocks to get to the water keep myself & my boats well away from everyone most people watch from a distance I think its the sound & rooster tail that upsets them everyone else thinks its cool. & right next to the pond I use is another pond no one uses as its full of old sunken boats

Back at home he could go 198. Makes you wonder if it is the running surface, the downhill advantage or tailwind? Or the GPS.

I don't own one mainly because they to me are expensive and I rather use the money to save for a 4s system on my build but I will get one when I'm done.right now I'm using a Garmin 101 and I'm ok with it just hate waiting 15 minutes to aquire enough signals . usually takes about 6 or 7 satellites before it can work. And I have to hold the car in my hand and spin fast in a circle to see if it's working lol.if I push the car doesn't seem to work .weird..not fun getting dizzy.🤟🤣👍

Raz talked about how he already knew they wouldn't do any speedrecords, hell he even said he knows no one would do any because of the weather conditions and the quality of the tarmac (or rather lack of).

someone always says I am upsetting the birds the pond I run on always has kids swimming & paddle boarding on one end so I go to the opposite end that's never used as you have to climb over rocks to get to the water keep myself & my boats well away from everyone most people watch from a distance I think its the sound & rooster tail that upsets them everyone else thinks its cool. & right next to the pond I use is another pond no one uses as its full of old sunken boats
I tend to stay away from the ponds ik that people go fishing in..I've had my share of fishing line wrapped around my prop shaft and it sucks when it happens.espeacially when you have to swim out far to untangle it.i now have a canoe 🛶 so this helps ..and my favorite boats I have are the ones with self righting ones with the chamber inside the hull that fills up with water then flips it self over.my sonic wake and my pro vector both have it.. awesome feature.

I'm not suggesting any kind of elaborate deception. I'm just saying: we don't really know. We have exactly 1 run on video, and one speedometer result.

Reading the specs on SkyRC's site: https://www.skyrc.com/files/196?open=1 . They indicate a sampling rate of 10 Hertz, or 10 times per second.

Let's do a thought problem. Imagine the peak speed of the car is really 190 miles per hour. At 190 miles per hour, the car travels 84.9 meters/sec or 8.49 meters in 0.1 seconds.

Which means that if the position measurement is off by even 1 meter, it could return a result of 167.5 mph on the low side to 212.3 mph on the high side of the error.

I don't claim to know how accurate the SkyRC product is, their manual doesn't give a precision. It could be accurate to within a few centimeters, or maybe not, it just depends on the design and capabilities of the receiver.

I'm not suggesting any kind of elaborate deception. I'm just saying: we don't really know. We have exactly 1 run on video, and one speedometer result.

Reading the specs on SkyRC's site: https://www.skyrc.com/files/196?open=1 . They indicate a sampling rate of 10 Hertz, or 10 times per second.

Let's do a thought problem. Imagine the peak speed of the car is really 190 miles per hour. At 190 miles per hour, the car travels 84.9 meters/sec or 8.49 meters in 0.1 seconds.

Which means that if the position measurement is off by even 1 meter, it could return a result of 167.5 mph on the low side to 212.3 mph on the high side of the error.

I don't claim to know how accurate the SkyRC product is, their manual doesn't give a precision. It could be accurate to within a few centimeters, or maybe not, it just depends on the design and capabilities of the receiver.
While it is 10hz it is proven to be accurate to around 1mph compared to other gps systems for rc cars. I haven't looked, but there is probably a video on the tube showing how accurate it is compared to the official speed radars.

Raz talked about how he already knew they wouldn't do any speedrecords, hell he even said he knows no one would do any because of the weather conditions and the quality of the tarmac (or rather lack of).
The runway Rossa use suffers from strong crosswinds most of the time them welsh valleys be windy

Way to much calculation for me before my brain starts to smoke like a lipo over worked 🤣

While it is 10hz it is proven to be accurate to around 1mph compared to other gps systems for rc cars.
That may be true for certain speeds. But I suspect that the error will go up at higher speeds. For example, if it's accurate to within 1 mph at 20mph, it may be off by 10mph at 200mph.

I tend to stay away from the ponds ik that people go fishing in..I've had my share of fishing line wrapped around my prop shaft and it sucks when it happens.espeacially when you have to swim out far to untangle it.i now have a canoe 🛶 so this helps ..and my favorite boats I have are the ones with self righting ones with the chamber inside the hull that fills up with water then flips it self over.my sonic wake and my pro vector both have it.. awesome feature.
I have a v1 sonic wake nice boat and use a rescue tug for my baby Zonda or veles 29 no fish in the pond I run in plus if it's not hot ( like most of the time in the UK ) get the pond to myself.

That may be true for certain speeds. But I suspect that the error will go up at higher speeds. For example, if it's accurate to within 1 mph at 20mph, it may be off by 10mph at 200mph.
If it is off my 1mph at 80 (some people have measured it as that accurate), it shouldn't be off by more than 4.5mph at 200+mph (still WR IIRC)

While this all very interesting speculation I'd be more interested in actual data that even remotely makes the case for this being a concern with the device used. If you have any, I'm all eyes. There were several passes to be observed at the last ROSSA event (up to 183mph) and the GPS produced the exact same reading as the traps. I think that's about as good as it's going to get as far as validation goes for the accuracy of the GSM020.

While this all very interesting speculation I'd be more interested in actual data that even remotely makes the case for this being a concern with the device used. If you have any, I'm all eyes. There were several passes to be observed at the last ROSSA event (up to 183mph) and the GPS produced the exact same reading as the traps. I think that's about as good as it's going to get as far as validation goes for the accuracy of the GSM020.
That's a good point.

I have no data, but the SkyRC manual doesn't provide any specs around accuracy or precision either, so... yeah I'm just saying that I don't know.

That's a good point.

I have no data, but the SkyRC manual doesn't provide any specs around accuracy or precision either, so... yeah I'm just saying that I don't know.
Fair enough. I couldn't say with 100% certainty either. But what I can say is that I've watched his progress for a long time and he's definitely put in the work. James McCoy ran two GSM020's on his 204mph run and they both read the same speed. If the devices actually had measurement errors stemming from their sampling rate or some other random influence, I would expect to see variations where two units are used (and he did this on several runs). But there weren't. This coupled with the results seen at ROSSA is good enough for me to trust the readings we get from the device. At least until proven otherwise. But that's just me. :)

@Diem Turner 's comments pretty well confirm the accuracy as it matches the trap speeds at the ROSSA event.
My speculation is that the SkyRC device is looking at the time it takes to reach 5 or 10 meters distance to calculate what the speed is to avoid a wrong calculation.

However they do it, the thing works darn well.

Way to much calculation for me before my brain starts to smoke like a lipo over worked 🤣
This is what happens when I think of them calculations.

Screenshot_20230110-043817.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back