No Smoking now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did they advise against smoking for two weeks prior to your knee surgery? Anything were you're assisted to breathe during surgery, they tell you that. Usually. Just wondered if ya' had a leg up on quitting with that. I've 'quit' a few times. One being a couple of months. Stress gets the better of me. If I go a day without em,' I'll start to get moody. Things like yelling at the cat to get the f*ck outta' my way. Edit - or at the dog for staring at me if I eat something. "WTF are you looking at!? You get fed treats for taking a $h*t, and I don't harass you when you're eatin,' so get TF away from me!" She'll look away like "oh $h*t." So that's not fun to hear for anyone. It'll get to the point of getting them bought for me to make it bearable. Of course, a friend of mine smokes like a chimney, so that doesn't help.

Last edited:
I think I forgot to mention this, but I haven’t had a cigarette since the morning of my knee replacement surgery on April 10th. After smoking for 40 years I gotta say, it’s very freaking strange. I realize now how many triggers I had before and didn’t even realize it. Coffee and after a meal of course. But when I take the dog out, log off a device, before a drive, after a drive (never smoked in cars or inside) etc.
No nicotine or nicotine replacement of any kind (gum, patch, etc), I just cold-turkey’d it while still under the soothing caresses of opioids. I ran out of pain killers about a week and a half ago. So, this Wednesday it will be a month. Trippy, man.
Oddly, I haven’t even gone on a five state killing spree yet. Strange.
I quit a few times. Once for about 8 years. This time I am at about 6 I think. I'll never go back. It gets easier...
I haven't had a drink or a drug in 17 years. That was tough at first. I was on as much booze and coke as I could afford or get fronted to me at the end. It's all a matter of willingness. People knock "one day at a time" because it's said too much and it's cliche but 1 day, hour or even minute helps a lot. I'd look at the clock and say ok just 10 more minutes or just 1 more hour. When that was up I'd do it again if necessary.

I just quit last Friday. Kinda took it as a sign to quit seeing how times got tough and it was have money for smokes or have food for the week out on the road. Plus I also wanted to quit for my kid so I could be around longer the triggers are the worse
Good for you, man. Keep it going!

Did they advise against smoking for two weeks prior to your knee surgery?
Surgeon wanted me to quit totally before surgery, as the new prosthetics count on the bone growing into them, which nicotine apparently inhibits to a point. Whether it’s cigarettes, gum, patch, snuff, etc. No nicotine allowed. I still want to go into the woods, capture small woodland animals, and kill them. And seriously, I’m a tree-hugging, animal loving hippy from way back. Does that sort of thing pass over time?
Anything were you're assisted to breathe during surgery, they tell you that. Usually. Just wondered if ya' had a leg up on quitting with that. I've 'quit' a few times. One being a couple of months. Stress gets the better of me. If I go a day without em,' I'll start to get moody. Things like yelling at the cat to get the f*ck outta' my way. Edit - or at the dog for staring at me if I eat something. "WTF are you looking at!? You get fed treats for taking a $h*t, and I don't harass you when you're eatin,' so get TF away from me!" She'll look away like "oh $h*t." So that's not fun to hear for anyone. It'll get to the point of getting them bought for me to make it bearable. Of course, a friend of mine smokes like a chimney, so that doesn't help.
Ok, I’m gonna be honest. You scare me a little bit. At first I just thought it was because you were a d’ckhead, but now I’m starting to realize it might be because you remind me of many of the negative personality traits that I share with you and try to repress in hopes that others think I’m an alright guy.
It was the “dog” thing that sold me. Yup. Same here. I love my dog more than anything, but yeah. Where’s my treat when I take a dump, and what in the hell are you actually staring at?
Anyway, I hope that both you and I can successfully repel the urges to smoke, and that others around us can overlook our (hopefully) sociopathic tendencies while we try. 👍

Does that sort of thing pass over time?
Yes, eventually the smell of cigarettes will be repulsive and you won't believe you ever smoked because it's gross. It will take a couple months to not crave it at all and a year or two to be disgusted by it.

Yes, eventually the smell of cigarettes will be repulsive and you won't believe you ever smoked because it's gross. It will take a couple months to not crave it at all and a year or two to be disgusted by it.

Never smoked myself, but I know what you mean. Both my parents did. Trapped in the back of Oldsmobile with smoke and ash flying your way was great on a road trip. My brother moved out of the house and I would go over there. He told me I smelled like smoke.

Never smoked myself, but I know what you mean. Both my parents did. Trapped in the back of Oldsmobile with smoke and ash flying your way was great on a road trip. My brother moved out of the house and I would go over there. He told me I smelled like smoke.
We went to a bar last weekend with an outside stage, saw an 80’s hair cover band called poisonedcrew.

The only fugging cigarette out there was blowing right up my fugging nose… 😡

The laundry hamper the next day smelled like a dirty ash tray.. What the fug was I thinking when I started..🙄

Did they advise against smoking for two weeks prior to your knee surgery? Anything were you're assisted to breathe during surgery, they tell you that. Usually. Just wondered if ya' had a leg up on quitting with that. I've 'quit' a few times. One being a couple of months. Stress gets the better of me. If I go a day without em,' I'll start to get moody. Things like yelling at the cat to get the f*ck outta' my way. Edit - or at the dog for staring at me if I eat something. "WTF are you looking at!? You get fed treats for taking a $h*t, and I don't harass you when you're eatin,' so get TF away from me!" She'll look away like "oh $h*t." So that's not fun to hear for anyone. It'll get to the point of getting them bought for me to make it bearable. Of course, a friend of mine smokes like a chimney, so that doesn't help.
The first couple days for me was bad I’m surprised I’m not divorced… Mother’s Day for the wife wasn’t too good and when she got mad i didn’t get her anything I kinda lost my mind told her all this bs sounded like a her problem and for her to figure her crap out ( I did end up buying her favorite flowers and apologizing a day later) but yeah I was very nasty for the first time ever in our 6 years lol. Plus i ended up going thur like cold sweats and shakes I guess 3-4 packs a day for the last like 5-6 years really messed me up

Then just quitting one day with no patches or gum didn’t help

Patches burnt my skin and the gum made my throat go numb and felt like it was swelling shut

The first couple days for me was bad I’m surprised I’m not divorced… Mother’s Day for the wife wasn’t too good and when she got mad i didn’t get her anything I kinda lost my mind told her all this bs sounded like a her problem and for her to figure her crap out ( I did end up buying her favorite flowers and apologizing a day later) but yeah I was very nasty for the first time ever in our 6 years lol. Plus i ended up going thur like cold sweats and shakes I guess 3-4 packs a day for the last like 5-6 years really messed me up

Patches burnt my skin and the gum made my throat go numb and felt like it was swelling shut
Sounds par-for-the-course with quitting. I haven't tried the gum, but found out the patches don't work for me. Tried medium strength, but got real dizzy on em.' Probably the heart and blood pressure meds didn't help, so none of that is an option for me. Don't get me wrong, I inhale the crap out of cigarettes, (I'm no lightweight on that) but those patches are powerful. Best for me to gradually step down with the damn things. Then after so long, just pretend I'm on an island at all times where they're not accessible. It's tough for me to visit a friend who smokes every five minutes, drinking coffee and lots of talking with occasional shots of whiskey or beer lol.

The only thing repulsive about cigarette smell (to me) are the butts left over. They absolutely f*€king reek. Never stick em' in your pockets, or you'll smell way worse. Otherwise, the smell of someone actively smoking is 'intoxicating' to me. Way better than actually smoking them myself. I have always enjoyed that smell a far back as I can remember. But, I used to enjoy the smell of gasoline in the early to mid nineteen eighties. Smelled like McDonald's fries, to me. It doesn't smell like that anymore. They changed gasoline somehow.

Last edited:
Surgeon wanted me to quit totally before surgery, as the new prosthetics count on the bone growing into them, which nicotine apparently inhibits to a point. Whether it’s cigarettes, gum, patch, snuff, etc. No nicotine allowed. I still want to go into the woods, capture small woodland animals, and kill them. And seriously, I’m a tree-hugging, animal loving hippy from way back. Does that sort of thing pass over time?

Ok, I’m gonna be honest. You scare me a little bit. At first I just thought it was because you were a d’ckhead, but now I’m starting to realize it might be because you remind me of many of the negative personality traits that I share with you and try to repress in hopes that others think I’m an alright guy.
It was the “dog” thing that sold me. Yup. Same here. I love my dog more than anything, but yeah. Where’s my treat when I take a dump, and what in the hell are you actually staring at?
Anyway, I hope that both you and I can successfully repel the urges to smoke, and that others around us can overlook our (hopefully) sociopathic tendencies while we try. 👍
Well, that takes honesty. I'm all bark no bite. Like Fred Flintstone. I can be loud sometimes (in person) raising my voice like an @$$, but those who know me, know I'm not inherently bad. Just tough to endure, sometimes. Same on the net. I'm no angel, but my family tells me my face softens if I'm handed a tiny puppy or baby. I've never hunted animals, and seeing people hurt each other, hurts me. If I hurt someone's feelings, I feel genuine remorse. Deep remorse. I don't repress my negative side. I let it 'flow,' and that gets me into trouble. That doesn't mean I'm incapable of a 'social self,' but am never 'fake.' Never disingenuous. Most can't handle me, because they don’t understand me. Most either think I'm a vexing personality, or just plain don't like me and can't quite explain why. We all exude an energy, and mine is definitely different. So anyone who may have a problem with me, or can't figure me the heck out...that's the majority.

The only thing repulsive about cigarette smell (to me) are the butts left over
I agree with this I hate the smell of clipped cigs and the butts I would throw my wife’s clips away if she left them in the door handle in my truck or even if she left them somewhere inside the house. I know it’s a gross habit and smells bad but I never smoked inside or clipped cigs lol

Never smoked but have other addictions..lol. .... Ignorant question probably but how do you have time to smoke 60 to 80 cigs a day. I really don't understand, not being sarcastic. Isn't that a job in itself?

Never smoked but have other addictions..lol. .... Ignorant question probably but how do you have time to smoke 60 to 80 cigs a day. I really don't understand, not being sarcastic. Isn't that a job in itself?

I drive a semi for hours a day plus sit bored in it and just chain smoke pretty much

But when is be home on weekends I’d smoke maybe a pack a day but when I’m home I’m busy doing stuff whereas sitting in a dock getting loaded or just driving you can light one after another not realizing you’re doing it

Lol. That is a question. My usual is 7 to ten (half pack) a day, unless I spend a day with the super smoker friend. Can end with going through a whole pack. Her? Several. I bothered to reply to this one, because I don't understand how anyone could ever get to 6+ hundred pounds. Like 80 cigarettes, that would take serious effort! You'd have to stuff your face sick 24hrs a day, everyday! It's like they take a sturdy, healthy body capable of serious abuse, and $h*t all over it beyond recognition. Food can't possibly be THAT good! Sure, I'd like a donut, but they're not worth looking like the blob and possibly losing limbs with high blood sugar. Guess they don't care if someone has to carry their 2 ton corpse out of wherever they crap their folds at.

It gets easier if you can smoke other things to calm the nerves, I hear. 😉. To me, it got easier when I didn’t smell it anymore. That took awhile though, that stench sticks around for awhile. All my clothes, my car, and my house stunk for a very long time. It takes multiple washes to get the smell to go away.

I smoked for almost 20 years. It’s tough, but I’ll never go back now, I like not shelling out all that $ killing myself. It’s been 7 years now, I smelled someone smoking last week, and I was gagging.

Last edited:
Well, that takes honesty. I'm all bark no bite. Like Fred Flintstone. I can be loud sometimes (in person) raising my voice like an @$$, but those who know me, know I'm not inherently bad. Just tough to endure, sometimes. Same on the net. I'm no angel, but my family tells me my face softens if I'm handed a tiny puppy or baby. I've never hunted animals, and seeing people hurt each other, hurts me. If I hurt someone's feelings, I feel genuine remorse. Deep remorse. I don't repress my negative side. I let it 'flow,' and that gets me into trouble. That doesn't mean I'm incapable of a 'social self,' but am never 'fake.' Never disingenuous. Most can't handle me, because they don’t understand me. Most either think I'm a vexing personality, or just plain don't like me and can't quite explain why. We all exude an energy, and mine is definitely different. So anyone who may have a problem with me, or can't figure me the heck out...that's the majority.
Well, if you’re into quitting I hope it works out for you. It definitely isn’t easy. I’ve joked before that it’s easy to quit, I’ve quit so many times I lost count. 😂 This time I had the benefit of being in a hospital room for a couple of days while all drugged up and another week at home with some pretty serious painkillers and I’m quite sure I would have failed otherwise. It’s one of the hardest things ever, and the fact that I really loved smoking never made it easier for me.
It sucks that cigarettes kill you. If they were good for you I could be the healthiest dude in the world.

Well, if you’re into quitting I hope it works out for you. It definitely isn’t easy. I’ve joked before that it’s easy to quit, I’ve quit so many times I lost count. 😂 This time I had the benefit of being in a hospital room for a couple of days while all drugged up and another week at home with some pretty serious painkillers and I’m quite sure I would have failed otherwise. It’s one of the hardest things ever, and the fact that I really loved smoking never made it easier for me.
It sucks that cigarettes kill you. If they were good for you I could be the healthiest dude in the world.
I don't know what it's like to be held up in the hospital as a smoker, but do know what it's like to be trapped in there connected to machines while trying to fight off the FULL monty of anesthesia. In that hell, I'm fairly certain that a cigarette wouldn't be on my mind. Not with a fresh drill hole in the skull and torn up neck muscles where they used a retractor to keep em' open back there. The aftermath of the halo they screwed into my skull didn’t phase me. The hell was being trapped, along with a prostate swelled shut not being able to void the bladder. Nowadays, I pass kidney stones like a production line with no pain meds. No pain meds for anything anymore. We're ALL a bunch of addicts now, according to the feds. Feds go after doctors, so doctors treat everyone like a crack addict. Then weed becomes mainstream. Even John Boehner got into the business. It's all about money, and pain meds don't make them money. Pain is punished, and money is king, so smoke or eat the mary jane and remain in pain. Too bad the stuff doesn't work for me. So, I smoke cigarettes and pace in pain, whether it be my broken implanted shunt not working properly, or another stone scraping it's way through my ureters for over the 100th time. Best chance of passing those now? Beer. As for pain...society lost all empathy. Hospital will give basically a liquid ibuprofen in the IV, but no opioid. Empathy is dead. Difficult to quit smoking when one is already nerved up from pain. Especially when it never leaves. Never lets up. A Permanent friend. Best to see it as a friend lol. Cigarettes are a distraction. Hard to break the habit of a distraction.

As far as work (contributing to society) I'd very much like to have some damn pain pills to stave off the extreme, and do something. Anything. Get back on a production line making ABS brake systems again, or even pushing carts again. Or detailing vehicle interiors. As long as my pain was managed and I would be guaranteed my heart medication. I don't care to be at over 300bpm and have my heart stopped on an ER gurney while conscious again because they ripped my meds away. I would die. My heart already thickened and my valves f*€ked up from the damage as it is. This country needs a little more democratic socialism. Bernie. If we were more like Europe, I'd be doing something constructive if I had my meds. I don't want to live on $600 a month. Who would?? I'd rather DO SOMETHING. Instead of punishing pain, this country could encourage and help, so we could all have a chance to contribute. But no...if you need medication to live, you have to be labeled a lazy POS to get it. Uncapped capitalism is slowly killing this country. It's keeping people down, and it enables the ones who have it all to keep hoarding a disgustingly redundant amount of wealth.

Cigarettes are a distraction. Life itself is a distraction. From the beautiful sunshine out today, to pain. The dualistic nature of existence. Anything to look away from what we came from. The state after death, and before we were born. Indefinable nothingness. No space, no time. Ineffable, selfless (no ego/self) awareness. Ya' tend to notice it as consciousness (awareness of a self) slips away to a wholeness (no self). Then ya' become aware of what we all are. The same one. We're all the same awareness. Just different, superficial facets of it. That's why I can irritate you with the Dalai Lama $h*t. As you can tell, even with pain as a distraction, that experience stuck. It's not PTSD, but actually peace. I'm a lot more at peace than it appears. There's always peace behind all the superficial BS. I notice more than it appears. Just happen to be socially conditioned to gripe. My dad is loud. It's all I've known. But inside, it's okay. It's important to be at peace with oneself if ya' want to quit, say a bad habit. Then comes whether you really WANT to. The struggle is choice. Hate to sound like the 2nd Matrix movie, but that's all the struggling with something like that is. Choice.

When my hands aren't shaking from pain, I can do a few things. I use to enjoy a little sketching. I sketched these on pain meds, back years ago before the opioid epidemic narrative. It was never the damn pills. It's fentanyl. Taking pain meds away from people made them to to street drugs more, which started killing them like flies. Fake tranqs and pain pills made with it, along with fentanyl laced heroin. Drew this for my friend before he died. A Dave Mathews band fan. As far as ARRMA projects, I take a LOT of time to be able to do them. A lot of breaks. Takes everything I have as far as pain and money. So, now you know. I'm not lazy. Never was. Worked my tail off before the stroke and sub-arachnoid brain cyst brain damage. Just have too much time on my hands with no way out without dying on my parents. Not ready for death yet. When my parents are gone, I'll be ready.

20240511_171322.jpg

Last edited:
Back