Typhon No such thing as a stupid question correct?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdub34

Reaction score
I recently put v5 6s shocks on my 3s typhon. The top mounts are all secured using silicone axial bushings to eliminate any play. I shimmed the bottom front mounts 2mm using M3 washers and the rear bottom mounts 1mm with M3 washers. I put the stock 3s screws to button everything up. My question is how tight should I put the screws. I tightened all 8 using my MIP driver and two fingers on the handle. They can definitely be tightened more but I was thinking it might effect suspension action by smushing the pivot balls. as you know the screws go into plastic threads which I don’t want to damage. How tight can I safely go with all 8 screws to hold everything together really well while not altering suspension performance or stripping the plastic threads. My a-arms are factory Arrma as well as my shock towers if that matters. How tight do you guys put your screws to keep everything together considering the shocks need to be removed and serviced periodically? Thank you so much for sharing your plastic /metal screw wisdom with me before I mess anything up ok😊

Thanks guys. I’m pretty damn strong as I’ve worked as a mechanic for years. I just don’t have much experience with the strength of the ARRMA plastic threads. They’re snug now but just feel loose in my mind🤔 I sure as fudge don’t want to strip anything while at the same time I want it to stay together. Thanks

Don’t feel funny bro stupid questions always got answers 😂 I been on this app since 2019 I asked a sh*t ton of stupid answers always got a answer
Especially you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: j/k but put the Bottle down now.

I recently put v5 6s shocks on my 3s typhon. The top mounts are all secured using silicone axial bushings to eliminate any play. I shimmed the bottom front mounts 2mm using M3 washers and the rear bottom mounts 1mm with M3 washers. I put the stock 3s screws to button everything up. My question is how tight should I put the screws. I tightened all 8 using my MIP driver and two fingers on the handle. They can definitely be tightened more but I was thinking it might effect suspension action by smushing the pivot balls. as you know the screws go into plastic threads which I don’t want to damage. How tight can I safely go with all 8 screws to hold everything together really well while not altering suspension performance or stripping the plastic threads. My a-arms are factory Arrma as well as my shock towers if that matters. How tight do you guys put your screws to keep everything together considering the shocks need to be removed and serviced periodically? Thank you so much for sharing your plastic /metal screw wisdom with me before I mess anything up ok😊

I feel that "snug" is all you want for screws going into plastic. The plastic means that they won't usually back off, but you can check them occasionally to be sure. Too much force will lead to suspension binding and more breakage. As long as it doesn't move around and doesn't back off you are fine. Just because it could be tighter doesn't mean it needs to be any tighter.

Also, never use a power driver or drill to turn those screws. Not just the last bit, but don't use a fast power tool to turn those screws at all. Doing so will heat up the plastic and it will hold for now but strip very easily later on. Given that you are a mechanic and have MIP drivers I don't think you would do this anyway... but some of us learned this lesson the hard way. Or so I heard. ;)

I don’t use power tools on anything considered fragile especially these plastic parts. I do it the old fashioned way with quality hand tools and feel. Thanks for the information and I love my MIP drivers💪

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back