Kraton Open front diff cover to investigate missing screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darvid

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
So I noticed I was missing a screw from the front diff cover
When I tried putting one to replace it won’t go it. I’m assuming I might have broken away

to investigate I’m trying to open the front diff I removed all the screw that I know off from the front cover but it won’t budged
Anyone know what I’m missing ?

85971997-3722-44B9-8FA3-E84AB817B63C.jpeg

3DC27E9F-23FE-46B6-9C73-8E2B3937C5DB.jpeg

They can be on there rather snug, you might have to use something to pry it off. Or push comes to shove pull on the diff and see if that pushes it out.

So I noticed I was missing a screw from the front diff cover
When I tried putting one to replace it won’t go it. I’m assuming I might have broken away

to investigate I’m trying to open the front diff I removed all the screw that I know off from the front cover but it won’t budged
Anyone know what I’m missing ?

View attachment 160153

View attachment 160154
Some elbow grease? 🤣💪🏻 They can be a pain to remove. Did you loosen the sway bar end links? They need to be free as well.

View attachment 160157
Got it

I should probably clean and lube
Looks like the grease is not in the best condition
When putting the cover back on, pay attention to the sides where the cover makes contact with the bearings. There are two sharp edges that must be perfectly straight on both sides to go back in. Once you figure that out it’s pretty easy, but the first few times had me cussing.

Judging by the pic, you've stripped the thread out of the bulkhead where (and which is why) that screw won't go in.

View attachment 160160
Yeah not sure what happened, but good pick up
It was full of grime reason I could not get the screw in and stripped it in the process
Cleaned it out after but too late.

anyway to repair a thread. I can now get the bolt in but it won’t tighten

It was full of grime reason I could not get the screw in and stripped it in the process

just buy a new bulkhead, all the temporary fixes won't hold up. You can try the ziptie trick but in my experience it never holds

Put a very small piece of zip tie in there the same length as the depth of the hole. I mean just a little sliver. It will tighten the hole back up and get you by until you replace the diff housing.

So shock goo got it. I read that wrong. I just started using the Protek blue stuff.
Mines not called green slime but it's green and slime lol, they didn't have green slime in stock at the time so I bought the "knock off" seems to work I have no leaks from the rings so far. But my rig took some good damage the other day, pinion came loose, shock cap blew off again and my esc decided to remove itself from the mounting plate so now my max 6 is missing half it's plastic casing. Taking a break for a while. Having more fun with my printer it breaks less often. When I do run my rigs from now on no more jumps at all I'm sick of spending so much on parts.

Mines not called green slime but it's green and slime lol, they didn't have green slime in stock at the time so I bought the "knock off" seems to work I have no leaks from the rings so far. But my rig took some good damage the other day, pinion came loose, shock cap blew off again and my esc decided to remove itself from the mounting plate so now my max 6 is missing half it's plastic casing. Taking a break for a while. Having more fun with my printer it breaks less often. When I do run my rigs from now on no more jumps at all I'm sick of spending so much on parts.
Best alternative for the Team Associated green slime is to just buy Noleen SF3 motorcycle shock grease http://www.noleenj6.com/noleen-greases it's about $10 for a tub and you get like 10x what comes in the little tube from Team Associated.

Put a very small piece of zip tie in there the same length as the depth of the hole. I mean just a little sliver. It will tighten the hole back up and get you by until you replace the diff housing.
Yeah give this a go, I would rather not pull it apart if I don’t have to.
I was also think thread tape used for plumbing.

Yeah give this a go, I would rather not pull it apart if I don’t have to.
I was also think thread tape used for plumbing.
Ziptie trick or plumbers tape will not hold up. those 4 bolts hold your diff in. Not worth buying a new pinion and ring gear to save 10 bucks and 2 hours of wrenching. I've tried zipties, epoxy, jb weld, nothing holds to that plastic they use. Just save yourself the heartache and headache and buy a new bulkhead.

Ziptie trick or plumbers tape will not hold up. those 4 bolts hold your diff in. Not worth buying a new pinion and ring gear to save 10 bucks and 2 hours of wrenching. I've tried zipties, epoxy, jb weld, nothing holds to that plastic they use. Just save yourself the heartache and headache and buy a new bulkhead.
I’ve done the zip tie trick many times. Holds up until you take the screw out again. I would also look into some vibratite thread lock too. That combo with just a little bit more plastic in the hole and it should stay nice in tight in the hole until you can get a new bulkhead.

I’ve done the zip tie trick many times. Holds up until you take the screw out again. I would also look into some vibratite thread lock too. That combo with just a little bit more plastic in the hole and it should stay nice in tight in the hole until you can get a new bulkhead.
or save the money spent on thread lock and just buy a new bulkhead......

Back