Opinions on Alien Power Systems ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twitchfast

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
So I'm pretty distraught that my XLX blew up after months of use, if people want the details I'll happily provide because I'm utterly baffled as to what caused it.

Back on track, I've been looking for high output ESCs to replace my dead XLX while Castle determine whether they will handle it or not, I've come across Alien Power Systems but I haven't really heard of anyone using them?

Thanks in advance, you can find me drowning my sorrow in vodka (y)

So I'm pretty distraught that my XLX blew up after months of use, if people want the details I'll happily provide because I'm utterly baffled as to what caused it.

Back on track, I've been looking for high output ESCs to replace my dead XLX while Castle determine whether they will handle it or not, I've come across Alien Power Systems but I haven't really heard of anyone using them?

Thanks in advance, you can find me drowning my sorrow in vodka (y)
Details on the xlx.

Also just email castle they’ll have you send it in and get another for 50% off retail

Details on the xlx.

Also just email castle they’ll have you send it in and get another for 50% off retail
I emailed Castle yesterday (when it happened), I'm just waiting on a response. I'm well within my warranty period but that depends on whether they deem my changes to be detrimental.
I had removed the tacked on PCB which had 4 caps on it and replaced it with a fat cap pack, as well as used non-conductive thermal paste to improve thermals, however I had been running it like this since I got it without issue.

The situation is as follows:
I just put 1/5th scale wheels on my Typhon and was going slowly to gauge a feel for it, the ESC began to beep at me (I don't know what code it was) so I brought it back to me, it seemed like a calibration beep code so I went to recalibrate it.
I took the wheels off just to ensure I had no chance of a run-away, during recalibration it spat a flame out the side o_o
I had made no changes whatsoever between my last run and this one, aside from the wheels.

People only use the alien power systems for xtreme speed running and such
I'm more concerned about their reliability, I don't think I could take another £200+ pop :c
My car is pretty overkill, it's a Castle 2028 800KV motor with 48T pinion + 29T spur, I'm also very interested in having a sensored ESC which Alien Power Systems appears to do.

Thinking of buying this (I know it has no BEC) https://alienpowersystem.com/shop/esc/car-esc/alien-420a-4-24s-48-mosfet-esc-hv-sensored/

I have observed that they don't run reliably and when you push them hard they catch fire.
RIP.. I appreciate this is a silly question, when you say pushing them hard, you mean beyond the rated spec or matching the rating?
I'd appreciate if you could elaborate on the reliability problems if possible, apologies for all the questions but I'm not finding much info.

Last edited:
RIP.. I appreciate this is a silly question, when you say pushing them hard, you mean beyond the rated spec or matching the rating?
I'd appreciate if you could elaborate on the reliability problems if possible, apologies for all the questions but I'm not finding much info.
I specifically play in the RC Speed run side of the hobby. This is one of the few parts of the RC hobby where an ESC is asked for over 200 amps for more than 1-2 seconds. In a speed run this is somewhere around 5-15 seconds. The guys who ran alien power ESCs (I believe on 12s) always resulted in a fire.

I specifically play in the RC Speed run side of the hobby. This is one of the few parts of the RC hobby where an ESC is asked for over 200 amps for more than 1-2 seconds. In a speed run this is somewhere around 5-15 seconds. The guys who ran alien power ESCs (I believe on 12s) always resulted in a fire.
Thanks for the feedback, I pull peaks of 230a on 1/8th wheels and now I've switched to 1/5th wheels so I'm assuming that's gone up a fair bit.
It seems the only option left for me is MGM's X2 Series, I was hoping to avoid spending all that but it really doesn't appear to be possible.

Thanks for the feedback, I pull peaks of 230a on 1/8th wheels and now I've switched to 1/5th wheels so I'm assuming that's gone up a fair bit.
It seems the only option left for me is MGM's X2 Series, I was hoping to avoid spending all that but it really doesn't appear to be possible.
I would say unless you need 12s power avoid these ESCs.
Can you not get Castle ESCs? The MMX8s or the new XLX2 would both be great options. (XLX2 is not available yet)

I would say unless you need 12s power avoid these ESCs.
Can you not get Castle ESCs? The MMX8s or the new XLX2 would both be great options. (XLX2 is not available yet)
While my motor is rated for 12S, I wouldn't want to go that route purely because I think the drive train will fail with that amount of torque.
I wasn't aware of the XLX2 being a thing until Overpowerrc just mentioned it, really hoping that they'll just swap mine since it's in the warranty window.
I'm not sure what kind of power people have pulled from the MMX8S, I went the XLX route because of the amp overhead I thought I'd have.

I'm also looking to get a sensored ESC, really hoping that Castle had the sense to include that as a feature for the XLX2. Praise the gods it's sensored!

Alien, rsnake & others are rebrands of Flier ESCs. I’ve heard some have programming differences (was told rsnakes are “the best”) but i only have experience with the Fliers.

There is a Flier ESC Facebook group that is absolutely mandatory for anyone running these ESCs.

Their dual fan 3-16s 400a ESC can be bought for around $240 with the program box. You have to fab up a mount (I drilled tapped into the heatsink) install a good cap pack, some OSE8 connectors & you’ll be set....

1 run & you’ll be addicted... The big Kraton is absolutely insane on 12s & has NO problem handling the extra power!

I've contacted Alien since they appear to do a custom ESC form, may as well probe into that and see what their quotes are like.
Kinda put off by Castle since I haven't heard a peep from them concerning the blown XLX.

You may want to call them. I have had nothing but great experiences with Castle support by phone.

I know absolutely nothing about these, but might be worth a look:
https://neumotors.com/apd-electronic-speed-controls-for-brushless-motors/
Thanks, just scoured their site a bit.
The ideal one looks like it'll cost ~$1100, so I probably ought to stick with MGM as they'll be cheaper.

I'm also from the UK, I'm not sure I can call them without ridiculous expense, that's one reason I'm trying to get in contact with them.
I'd rather not spend £25+ on postage to return an ESC that they will refuse warranty on due to my modifications.

Thanks, just scoured their site a bit.
The ideal one looks like it'll cost ~$1100, so I probably ought to stick with MGM as they'll be cheaper.

I'm also from the UK, I'm not sure I can call them without ridiculous expense, that's one reason I'm trying to get in contact with them.
I'd rather not spend £25+ on postage to return an ESC that they will refuse warranty on due to my modifications.

Understood. I wonder if going through several XLX 2 ESCs is still a better option than MGM. I believe the MSRP for the XLX 2 is around $249.00
I have read up on MGM and people indicate they are tricky to setup. I personally would rather run Castle products for the ease of use and great data logs.

If you do want to venture down the MGM ESC path the Off Shore Electrics boat forum is one of the few that has good details on it. Although they are running water cooled setups most of it should translate to surface/car use.

Understood. I wonder if going through several XLX 2 ESCs is still a better option than MGM. I believe the MSRP for the XLX 2 is around $249.00
I have read up on MGM and people indicate they are tricky to setup. I personally would rather run Castle products for the ease of use and great data logs.

If you do want to venture down the MGM ESC path the Off Shore Electrics boat forum is one of the few that has good details on it. Although they are running water cooled setups most of it should translate to surface/car use.
Truthfully I've only ever had Castle ESCs as my brother recommended them to me, and boy do I love the sheer power their systems provide, I just don't feel very comfortable spending another £250 on a company that seemingly doesn't respond to their customers.
It's a shame because the XLX2 does look very impressive, and they finally included sensored capabilities on their top-end ESC.

I think the datalogs will be the the most painful loss, I can imagine most brands rarely have data logging, let alone a sleek and user friendly method.

Truthfully I've only ever had Castle ESCs as my brother recommended them to me, and boy do I love the sheer power their systems provide, I just don't feel very comfortable spending another £250 on a company that seemingly doesn't respond to their customers.
It's a shame because the XLX2 does look very impressive, and they finally included sensored capabilities on their top-end ESC.

I think the datalogs will be the the most painful loss, I can imagine most brands rarely have data logging, let alone a sleek and user friendly method.
I understand that MGM has logging also, but man.... the price LOL
You could also look into ZTW boat ESCs (the on road ones are junk)

My eventual plan if I find wads of cash on the ground is to setup a 1/7 scale car with a 14s ZTW boat esc. (requires separate BEC)
Then use a nitro fuel tank to hold ice water, with a small pump to circulate to the ESC and motor.

There is also the possibility of mounting a aluminum heat-sink on top of the FETs and using a fan.
ZTW ESC page on Off Shore Electrics

I was really hoping the new Castle ESC would be 12s or 14s :(

I understand that MGM has logging also, but man.... the price LOL
You could also look into ZTW boat ESCs (the on road ones are junk)

My eventual plan if I find wads of cash on the ground is to setup a 1/7 scale car with a 14s ZTW boat esc. (requires separate BEC)
Then use a nitro fuel tank to hold ice water, with a small pump to circulate to the ESC and motor.

There is also the possibility of mounting a aluminum heat-sink on top of the FETs and using a fan.
ZTW ESC page on Off Shore Electrics

I was really hoping the new Castle ESC would be 12s or 14s :(
Yeah the price is a killer but at this stage I feel like I've sunk so much into this car I just want to be able to use it without fear of things blowing up :c
I've been considering fabricating a roll cage for it since any decent ESC is going to be very expensive and I'd like to keep it as safe as I can, this coincidentally opens up watercooling imo with the roll cage being a great option for radiator mounts.

Personally I think Castle dropped the ball on the XLX2 in a way, while I read and understand the capacitor concerns, they are selling 12S capable motors bundled with 8S ESCs... Just seems awfully counter-intuitive.
I feel anyone buying a beefy ESC and is concerned for the wellbeing of it would probably have a cap-pack on hand if not make one for it, I made a 8x Rubycon ZLH 1000uF pack for my XLX because I could and it certainly helped with ripple.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back