PLA Advancements... Hmmm... Interesting...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a fair question, but hard to answer haha. It was only one round of practice and one round of qualifying. I don’t remember any major crash but there were a few bumps and side brushes for sure. The piece only fell off when I was inspecting the Ackerman back home.

Some close ups of the break, sheared off.

View attachment 354799

View attachment 354800

My main car that did two qualifying rounds and the main has the same part, and it’s still intact as far as I know. I should probably check.

Thanks for the wire/divot/rod idea! Will try that if I continue to see breakage.

Btw is my print orientation okay? I printed it the way I show on the photos above. I set wall thickness to 3mm and infill to 100%.
Orientation is correct and yes always use 100% infill on all RC parts no exceptions. I'd do a bit thicker wall. Glad to hear your other held up. Prolly smacked something on this one im guessing and why it broke.

I printed the part in PETG 4 walls full solid infill

Okay.
Let's Rock!
Relapse Records Car GIF by Red Fang

Keep us posted. 👍

Is this something new? Mixed PLA & PETG core in one strand? Or a gimmick

Screenshot_20240316_183603_Instagram.jpg

That's just a screen shot

Is this something new? Mixed PLA & PETG core in one strand? Or a gimmick

View attachment 355044
That's just a screen shot

I saw that filament on YT a couple of days ago..
I'd say it can/will produce some interesting color finishes after it's been extruded.

But, I can't imagine how it'll be a benefit for functional prints.. because of the temperatures required to properly melt PETG and PLA are quite different.

I saw that filament on YT a couple of days ago..
I'd say it can/will produce some interesting color finishes after it's been extruded.

But, I can't imagine how it'll be a benefit for functional prints.. because of the temperatures required to properly melt PETG and PLA are quite different.
And those two filaments don’t stick to each other. I’d be surprised if the end result stuck together, and even if it did, it would be incredibly weak.

And those two filaments don’t stick to each other. I’d be surprised if the end result stuck together, and even if it did, it would be incredibly weak.
That's what I was wondering. Didn't think they stick together. Looks like a gimmick.

Got in my goods... Hmmm what to test... Maybe I will do a stress test with weight, we shall see what I create to test these side by side.

I will say uncle Jesse's test of the airless basket ball is pretty damning... Super PLA is def good stuff!! I will compare, PLA/PLA+/PETG/SuperPLA+

The flexible stuff main test will be Pushing it's speed to failure. If I can get 100 to 150 then im sold and will buy a ton of it. But, at least if it will do double what tpu does i'd still be happy.

433402318_1098385658073745_8112750334131926859_n.jpg
433465800_1882673438840997_8694808345258799655_n.jpg

Last edited:
Pla is great, until it melts in the sun or breaks.. you should be trying some good materials, your mind will be changed on PLA..

Pa
Pacf ( not fond of cf or gf, turns pa brittle)
Taulman nylons, 910 in particular, 645 too
PCtpe
PC
PP

If you can get those to print, you won't go back to pla for structural / impact parts..

Expand your horizons, PLA just isn't good for much..

Pla is great, until it melts in the sun or breaks.. you should be trying some good materials, your mind will be changed on PLA..

Pa
PCtpe
PC
PP

If you can get those to print, you won't go back to pla for structural / impact parts..

Preach. PLA is for cosmetics and prototypes IMO. Rarely for functional parts.

I still need to try PCtpe.

Pa
PCtpe
PC
PP

While that isn't bad advise this thread is just about PLA here, so its obvious it will be talked about and tested. I am expanding lol, im starting to use PETG now and will move up slowly from there.

The bulk of what I do is cosplay right now and PLA is def fine for that.

The particular statement of it isnt good for much is simply not true "for me" at all. It's good for the majority of what I do and that is PROVEN with testing, videos, and pics.

So for me right now in life if crazy, headaches matter "i.e. failing and learning", got a lot going on, trust me when I bust into what you are talking about I'll blow everyone else out of the water, always do. Just give it time sir. I am buying a house and getting married all in the next few months haha.

Preach. PLA is for cosmetics and prototypes IMO. Rarely for functional parts.

I still need to try PCtpe.

Well thats me then, all my parts get engineered to work 100% perfectly with PLA. And yes you are correct im a rare beast, agreed 100%

While that isn't bad advise this thread is just about PLA here, so its obvious it will be talked about and tested. I am expanding lol, im starting to use PETG now and will move up slowly from there.

The bulk of what I do is cosplay right now and PLA is def fine for that.

The particular statement of it isnt good for much is simply not true "for me" at all. It's good for the majority of what I do and that is PROVEN with testing, videos, and pics.

So for me right now in life if crazy, headaches matter "i.e. failing and learning", got a lot going on, trust me when I bust into what you are talking about I'll blow everyone else out of the water, always do. Just give it time sir. I am buying a house and getting married all in the next few months haha.

Well thats me then, all my parts get engineered to work 100% perfectly with PLA. And yes you are correct im a rare beast, agreed 100%

Congrats man.. I have to same going on.. 👍..

Trust me, you won't be disappointed when you switch to some good materials.. 😉

Don't pat yourself on the back too much.. sheesh... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

This is very relevant to this thread as I want people to understand how and when you can use PLA. Because it is proven to me time and time again that people are not familiar with this data/information.

So i have smashed out examples with damning evidence. But here are some more. You never know which ones will relate to what person and get them to believe what your saying haha. If something doesn't work I would never say it did :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: It's literally that simple.

Ok airdams/splitters on 1/7th Armma's. I don't go over 100MPH often but two of my cars are 12s and the other 8s, so yes stupidly heavy cars. The airdams take Soooo much abuse and they also sit lower then the chassis so they take literally all the hits. I've yet to break one. PLA, PLA+, Silk PLA, it doesn't matter on these parts, just make them 100% infill of course. I've sold a ton of air-dams and splitters, not a single breakage unless they hit a wall.

3 different cars: "all my videos you can hear the air-dams scrapping along the hole time haha"

12s Max5 56x118sd: "very heavy car"

433211142_950209759788937_5788396221765170793_n.jpg
432231507_1595914500947539_6487545091458532306_n.jpg

12s dual motor/esc: "haha look at the carbon fiber side-skirt and its higher then the airdam"

432204946_7745681402122649_2421751104515995739_n.jpg
433482656_377154425159139_7344536229943024337_n.jpg
433447824_1007153621062204_2999427923660037208_n.jpg

8s 4985 Limitless:

433576899_2156556571355185_5901126388256002567_n.jpg
432192842_1119366675755546_5913238164599232418_n.jpg

Now all that being said the spots that PLA has failed for me and literally always will, those spots I need and will use a better plastic when I finally get to where im printing with it easily.

BUT!! hahahah :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You knew it was coming!! If it doesn't break and its stupidly easy to print, and cheap, why wouldn't I use PLA. I cant be the only person to have literally 100% success with the parts that I use "again excluding parts I don't use and parts PLA doesn't work on"

Everything on my Thingiverse is 100% tested working with PLA and will NOT abnormally break. "again though I don't touch certain areas of the car as I do know PLA's breaking point"

https://www.thingiverse.com/kuskye25/designs

Its not magic, its def not science, haha, and im no genius at ALLLL hahah. I even use junk PLA most times. If you print the same parts im talking about, use good squish and 100% infill you will have the same results.

Last edited:
I printed the part in PETG 4 walls full solid infill
How is it holding up?
Got in my goods... Hmmm what to test... Maybe I will do a stress test with weight, we shall see what I create to test these side by side.

I will say uncle Jesse's test of the airless basket ball is pretty damning... Super PLA is def good stuff!! I will compare, PLA/PLA+/PETG/SuperPLA+
Looking forward to this!

Congratulations man!
You don't waste any time!!
Marriage.
New House..
You know what's Next...

A bunch of Babies!!!
Hahaha
You are not wrong... My first marriage I didn't want any kids. This is the one, and I def do now.

Last edited:
You are not wrong... My first marriage I didn't want any kids. This is the one and I def do now.

When you're with the right woman..
You just know. 👍

Back