Please take a moment to read!!!!!! Just sharing with you what can happen when U charge lipo's in a way that wasn't intended by the manufacturer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacSpacey

Reaction score
(Disclaimer) and because my good friend made a stupid mistake around 6 months ago and burned down his shed with everything in it, including a nice motorbike, (MY YAMAHA R6 FROM 2014 TO BE EXACT ???) Just up in flames just because he did some stupid stuff with a experimental way of charging more than one battery at a time with some stupid plan he came up with to try and charge multiple Lipo battery at once just to get less down time, but he went from waiting a little longer to get the lipo's safely charged, to charge nothing at all because HE GOT CHARGED with some very serious accusations and he's looking at several fines some of which are a couple of hundred euro's and one of the claims from one of the neighbors even can get up to a fine of one or two thousand euros!!!! in total he is looking at about 5000 euros in fines and claims for the damages he caused and putting others in danger. He has to pay this out of his own pocket because the insurance company found out he was fiddling with the charging methods. which were NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO THE WAY THAT IT WAS INTENDED BY THE PEOPLE THAT DESIGNED THE HARDWARE FOR USING IT IN A SAFE WAY. (oh and a tip, they (the insurance company) found out about the fact that he wws experimenting with his own charging methods via some post on good old Facebook) so do what you want with this information. Sorry for this horror story, but my Yamaha R6 had just as easily could have been a dog pen with several newborn puppies, the same as the one that the neighbors had 3 houses down in the sa
SO NO.... I do not want to be away from my Lipo whilst charging, because I really don't want to let my lipo out of sight in other words, GUYS DO NOT CHARGE YOUR LIPO BATTERY UNATTENDED, ive heard some nasty stories about the accidents that COULD happen, and what do you think of the neighbors their house and maybe their pets when you set your house on fire amd it sets their home a blaze afterwards? Please guys take that into consideration. Always be onnthe safe side. It just as easily can change into a molotov / fire bomb, and this is NOT BEING OVERLY DRAMATIC, IT IS JUST A MATTER OF USING YOUR HEAD AND PRECAUTIONS for instance a fire proof bag and optimal conditions and the correct hardware. AND READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL ??They didn't want only to put in some extra dead trees with some ink inside of the box just for filling.. NO IT IS IN THERE FOR A REASON. To keep you, you're neighbors, and your neighbors dog Sparky in good health (without any scorch marks) for years to come.me street. So it could have been worse. So this was a very long story and I hope you can find some useful information about the carefulness you need to apply when you have a hobby like ours. Don't let those things scare you off but let them be the information that keeps you from doing something that just isn't right and really is just plain stupid and dangerous, not only for you personally, but also for the people around you. Groetjes uit Nederland, Greetings from the Netherlands. MACSPACEY OUT, PEACE!!!!

Last edited:
That is my standard way and has been for many years. Just have to do some due diligence but this isn't a new experimental thing, hence my question.

To jkflow, he bought a couple of cheap charging boards from a Chinese website and connected them as follows Charger ——>board——>board<——board<——Charger and the middle of the boards he plugged in his Lipo battery packs, I am not sure how much he put in the board, but he used all the connections on it because he was sure that it would be the fastest way to charge as much battery packs in one go. But I have no idea why he would think that it would work? he connected two chargers at the same middle board but then instead of directly plugging the two chargers in one board. He placed a empty board (extra) in between the charger and the board in the middle.
So from left to right
Charger - empty board -
board with all the battery packs that fit-empty board - Charger
And then he plugged in both the chargers and as a result it started to burn so rapidly that his reaction was not to try and contain the fire but he ran outside and he was in such a panic mode that the first thing he did was grab his phone and called me. He was in such a shock when I answered his call that the first time he tried to explain it to me I didn't understand that he had started a fire. The weird thing is that I was just on my way to help him out with (his brilliant plan) but it wouldn't have come to this if he just would have told me what he was going to do. So after a minute or three after he had phoned me, I arrived at his house and I saw the smoke coming from the backyard and he was standing by the door, just totally frozen to the ground . I immediately called the fire department and they told me that under no circumstance I should enter the garage, so the only thing I could think of was alerting the neighbors who were home for god sake, because they were busy with the restoration of their old timer (a ford gt-40) that they had in the family for decades. They were able to push the car out of the garage before the first flames took over their side of the garage (they had a cinder block wall that divided the garage) and that was that. But it is still a complete mystery to me why he thought it would work that way.... Just plain stupid, that's what I think..
Greetings Macspacey

2 chargers, yes the spells disaster. Parallel charging done right is as safe as anything else but you have to know Ohm's law as judgement is imminent, as your friend found out. There is no forgiveness, just pure application of physics followed by chemistry.

Based on description I guess he didn't even get to turn them on. If he did, the chargers will fight each other and that never works out well.

Some are simply not suited for this. Seriously, of all the things to mess around with

2 chargers, yes the spells disaster. Parallel charging done right is as safe as anything else but you have to know Ohm's law as judgement is imminent, as your friend found out. There is no forgiveness, just pure application of physics followed by chemistry.

Based on description I guess he didn't even get to turn them on. If he did, the chargers will fight each other and that never works out well.
I have had a vennum pro quad charger for about a year it will chg 4 lipos at a time but it will go only to 7amps so it is safe on batts.

Sorry about your bike, but your friend is no Einstein, literally playing with fire and got burnt!

I have had a vennum pro quad charger for about a year it will chg 4 lipos at a time but it will go only to 7amps so it is safe on batts.
If done properly you can charge as many batteries on 1 channel as the charger can handle.

Jesus... This is like throwing four chargers and a battery in a bucket of water thinking it'll charge 4x as fast.

Also you don't want to use balance boards unless batteries are the same total voltage and mAh and cells are same very close in voltage. I don't get what he was thinking by connecting two chargers together to 3 balance boards connected in series.

Sorry about the meme buuuuut...I couldn't help it.
InShot_20200615_002128993.jpg

Last edited:
I know this doesn't help but how old is your friend?

like my grandparents love to say, at least the person is alright, everything else can be replaced, learn from this mistake and don't touch lipos again. :LOL:

Also you don't want to use balance boards unless batteries are the same total voltage and mAh and cells are same very close in voltage. I don't get what he was thinking by connecting two chargers together to 3 balance boards connected in series.

Sorry about the meme buuuuut...I couldn't help it.
View attachment 85694
They don't have to be the same mah once the cells reach 4.2v the charger isn't going to keep going. I charge 6 2s lipos at a time 2 1500mah, 2 1700mah and 2 2200mah have been charging them like that for over a year now.

They don't have to be the same mah once the cells reach 4.2v the charger isn't going to keep going. I charge 6 2s lipos at a time 2 1500mah, 2 1700mah and 2 2200mah have been charging them like that for over a year now.
Ah good to know. I just made it a habit never to mix and match the batteries back when I flew more fpv drones. I go with same cell counts and cell voltage in close proximity, and I throw same mAh capacity in there mainly because I didn't want to complicate the amps for charge/discharge and it's easy to make a mistake there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back