Big Rock Please tell me the secret

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRH

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
In this forum and on YouTube I see guys running their BRCC with Badlands and Duratrax tires with no problems. I'm on my 3rd diff input gear in less than 2 months. Can someone inform me on how this is done? Some are running 4S, larger pinion along with the heavier tires and from what I can tell, they have no issues with the diff. What's the secret sauce?

Last edited:
Input ?? Is that not the metal part , I believe ring gear plastic, interesting. I am about to do this tire mode but wont if you have dif problems. she is a tank right now

Are you doing a lot of jumping and hard landings? If you are make sure to let off the throttle as you land. That's the quickest way to strip gears. Bashing around on flat or rough ground it shouldn't matter but if you're holding the throttle down as the car is touching down it puts a lot of stress on the gears and drivetrain.

No Jumps. Mostly flat land. Construction site with a few small bumps here and there. Everything is stock. Slipper and punch still stock settings. The only upgrade was the wheels & tires.

Most likely a slipper issue causing it to strip.

Could definitely be the issue too. This is a good video showing how to set the slipper clutch adjustment. If you have the newest Big Rock (V3), you shouldn't need the threadlocker.
I don't have experience with bigger tires so I don't know how much stress that puts on the car.

No Jumps. Mostly flat land. Construction site with a few small bumps here and there. Everything is stock. Slipper and punch still stock settings. The only upgrade was the wheels & tires.

Yeah, you need to loosen the slipper. On the V3's, they set it too tight from the factory.

Try 1-2 full turns looser.

Yes I have the V3.According to the manual, it's set 1-1/2 turns loose. I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Would you say the same thing about the typhon 3s v3?
If you are running Badlands MX2.8s yes, stock tires try 1 turn looser then go to 2 if you want.

I have not ran any bigger tires except some paddles and have had no issues, so guess I better check slipper before I throw m2c adapters and some back flips ..... na arrma tuff 😜

Interesting thread. When I first got my 3s car, most people seemed to indicated that 1.5 turns from tight for the slipper was too loose. I've been running slipper about 1 turn out for a while now and seems OK to me. But I'm no expert at all. Going an extra 1 or 2 turns out from the factory set 1.5 turns out seems a lot to me. But I will give it try out see how it is. This is the first time I've actually heard anyone say to go that loose.

Interesting thread. When I first got my 3s car, most people seemed to indicated that 1.5 turns from tight for the slipper was too loose. I've been running slipper about 1 turn out for a while now and seems OK to me. But I'm no expert at all. Going an extra 1 or 2 turns out from the factory set 1.5 turns out seems a lot to me. But I will give it try out see how it is. This is the first time I've actually heard anyone say to go that loose.

I'm guessing the suggestion to go 3.5 turns from fully tightened applies specifically to people running larger/heavier tires (e.g. MX28 Badlands) on their rig. Perhaps also specifically to V3's.

I just put a set of MX28's on my 3S Typhon V3, so I'm going to be giving this slipper setting a go.

Guys, there's no such thing as "if you do X, Y, and Z your slipper will be perfect".

Every car is different. My V1 Granite was perfect. My Kraton 4S was too loose. My V3 Granite was 2.5 turns too tight, my buddy's V3 BRCC was about 1.5 turns too tight.

Every car is different. It changes over time. What makes for a perfect setting when the truck is new will be too loose after the pads glaze/thin a little bit and the spring weakens due to time.

Learn how to set your slipper. And then do it. That's all there is, there are no shortcuts.

To set your slipper —

Put it on the ground on a high traction surface like the street.

Give it full throttle from a stop at max punch with a fully charged battery.

You should hear the slipper whine for an extremely short period and the car ALMOST blast off like the tires are on fire. I’m talking like a micro second. Like 0.001 seconds.

If it insta backflips or the tires spin and does a burnout, it’s too tight. If you hear the whine go for more than a micro second or the car doesn’t seem to accelerate hard, then it’s too loose.

If you keep breaking input gears, or diffs, or spurs, or driveshafts, it’s too tight. 😀

The other way is to do the same thing but give it a roll backwards by hand before blasting full throttle. There should briefly be the a high pitched whine. If it insta breaks traction loose and the tires insta burnout, it’s too tight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back