Post run Lipo Question - Discharge then Storage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doolin64

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Infraction 4x4
Charging question...I've always just balance charged, ran my truck then storage charged my lipo a few hours later just to make sure it has cooled down. So when do you use discharge mode? There's times I've charged my battery and not had time to run it, so I just set used the storage mode and let the charger do its thing.

Is this right? Wrong? What's the proper way? When do you use discharge mode?

Nah, just storage charge for lipo. You’re doing it right.

Regular discharge mode is more useful for battery types other than lipo.

Edit: on some chargers. discharge mode can help with a bad lipo by discharging it to zero. But every charger I’ve used won’t go below 3.0V per cell.

Discharge mode can be used to cycle new batteries to improve their performance.

In drag racing, speedrunning and track racing it’s used to heat the battery up in conjunction with charging. For example, if you’re battery is capable, you can discharge at 20-40A and then recharge it using 20-40A. This helps lower the IR and improve its discharge capacity.

In my instance, the only time I have used discharge is when I failed to use a fully charged battery.

It takes forever.....

It's just better, in my application, to put the battery in the rig, run it for a while, run down the battery a while, then storage charge.

In drag racing, speedrunning and track racing it’s used to heat the battery up in conjunction with charging. For example, if you’re battery is capable, you can discharge at 20-40A and then recharge it using 20-40A. This helps lower the IR and improve its discharge capacity.
Interesting

Interesting
Nah, just storage charge for lipo. You’re doing it right.

Regular discharge mode is more useful for battery types other than lipo.

Edit: on some chargers. discharge mode can help with a bad lipo by discharging it to zero. But every charger I’ve used won’t go below 3.0V per cell.
Mine has preset (and adjustable) limits for discharge

In my instance, the only time I have used discharge is when I failed to use a fully charged battery.

It takes forever.....

It's just better, in my application, to put the battery in the rig, run it for a while, run down the battery a while, then storage charge.
You need this. It’s one of my favorite RC purchases.
This helps lower the IR and improve its discharge capacity.
It’s also slightly dangerous and reduces the battery’s longevity. It makes sense for racers who are willing to sacrifice a battery pack to win that specific race. But doesn’t make much sense for bashers.

You need this. It’s one of my favorite RC purchases.

It’s also slightly dangerous and reduces the battery’s longevity. It makes sense for racers who are willing to sacrifice a battery pack to win that specific race. But doesn’t make much sense for bashers.

Yeah, bashing you’ll want as much mAh as you can get. So a 1-3C charge is great.

20-40A on a high quality battery isn’t too bad and it’ll definitely last you more than 100 cycles easily. 8000mAh SMC SRD charged at 5C would only be 40A.. so not too bad at all.

Yeah for discharging a non used fully charged lipo, a dedicated Lipo discharger is best. I use the ISDT Discharger.
A charger's Discharge function is much too slow ( low amped )for a fully charged lipo IMHO. Can take hours. Track guys use a high amp discharger to warm them up. Cycling a charge then discharge and rapid charging them again at a 4-5 C rate for best punch on the track. Lipos work best when they are around 100F. There are many theories about this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back