Printing pinion gears for testing purposes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soheilmd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton EXB
I was wondering has anyone tried printing pinion gears? Is it doable? I was thinking to print some for testing purposes. I don't expect them to last long but just for few runs to find the correct gearing.
I was thinking about polycarbonat filament.

The resistance caused by the spur gear would be too great……I would imagine it wouldn’t last even a second before the teeth broke off.

Metal print would be what you’re looking for in prototyping

Is it possible? Very.

Is it durable? Not as much as An OEM plastic injected unit. A 3D printed (FDM) unit is layered. I haven’t printed one yet as I never had the need to but I wouldn’t put money on it lasting more than a battery pack. Maybe in PC it would last longer. Maybe…

I was wondering has anyone tried printing pinion gears? Is it doable? I was thinking to print some for testing purposes. I don't expect them to last long but just for few runs to find the correct gearing.
I was thinking about polycarbonat filament.
I print them all the time with PLA+ but only for testing fit before I buy the steel version. I would imagine it will be very hard to secure the pinion to the motor shaft even with a Safe D type of hole. Will the grub screw hold?

But food for thought, the Tarmo5 uses 3D printed gears in PLA. They are big though!

Try and let us know.

Back