WoodiE's journey into 3D printing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
congrats on the printer @WoodiE ! They are great and can be just as addicting as the RC's.. I have accumulated over 25 spools of different color types of PLA and I maybe have only used like 8 of them at any given time. I own a Longer LK5 Pro (normal bed slinger), I enjoy the hell out of it.. If you are ever wanting to find some RC related accessories to print (RC stands, tool stands, etc., and other misc stuff) here is a link to my page on Cults3d. RC-MOD 3D. And if you might be in need of anything designed or help with some project idea's, just send me a message. I use 3DS Max, Meshmixer, 3D builder, etc..

I don't use the Bambu slicer program for any prints, so not 100% sure how it operates.. If you ever DL and or purchase prints, it's good to have a couple of programs handy to check the STL's for any errors.
These 2 are free and extremely handy.. Meshmixer and Microsoft 3D builder.
I personally prefer using the 3D builder for error and repair checking, it's alot less destructive with that process then Meshmixer or any other I have tried in the past.

I like using Meshmixer with sculpted models that I might need to split and or optimize for multi-part printing. It has alot of great features, well worth DLing and watching some videos on how to use it.. it can be a little bit confusinig at first.
Hope this might help ya a little along with your journey in 3D printing.

I'm starting to think I got a 3D printer to print parts for my 3D printer... :D ;)

Printing now is a P1S riser and AMS stand - https://www.printables.com/model/784520-fixed-v2-vented-remix-updated-bambu-lab-ultimate-p

1711393640158.png

I am sooo over my head. I have no idea what's going on, but now I've downloaded and installed OrcaSlicer because why not throw more stuff at my small brain.

I really don't understand why picking "Bambu PLA" shows a MUCH faster print time (6 hours) then say my own custom filament preset or even the "Generic PLA" preset (8 hours).

What black magic does the Bambu PLA have the others don't?

I am sooo over my head. I have no idea what's going on, but now I've downloaded and installed OrcaSlicer because why not throw more stuff at my small brain.

That's what we're here for..
We got your back!

Don't sweat it.

I really don't understand why picking "Bambu PLA" shows a MUCH faster print time (6 hours) then say my own custom filament preset or even the "Generic PLA" preset (8 hours).

Bambu 's Special sauce...
They inject into their filament (actually it's just their spool's RF ID) that let's their printers know to "unlock" the Turbo speed..

While on the other hand with their competitors' PLA filament (without the RFID) are gimped.

I'm 99% sure I found the answer to this and that's "maximum volumetric speed". I'll look into it more in the morning.

I'm 99% sure I found the answer to this and that's "maximum volumetric speed". I'll look into it more in the morning.

Yes sir.. you got it.. you can run flow calibrations to obtain the amount of volumetric flow the filament has.. Bambu PLA knows it will flow in the 30's.. typically generic PLA profiles that I've seen will show around 18-23..

This translates into limiting or raising the speed the printer can produce..

Which can also play games with you... For instance, a filament flows at say 30 at .2 layer height... If you cut that layer height in half (.1) you can now go faster as the flow demand is now cut in half.. it's a balancing act that you will get the hang of.. 👍

Yes sir.. you got it.. you can run flow calibrations to obtain the amount of volumetric flow the filament has.. Bambu PLA knows it will flow in the 30's.. typically generic PLA profiles that I've seen will show around 18-23..

This translates into limiting or raising the speed the printer can produce..

Which can also play games with you... For instance, a filament flows at say 30 at .2 layer height... If you cut that layer height in half (.1) you can now go faster as the flow demand is now cut in half.. it's a balancing act that you will get the hang of.. 👍
What do you think of all the “high speed” filaments being released? It seems gimmicky to me since the printer itself determines most of the speed capability, but maybe I’m missing something.

So I learned something today. When you click on "Splice Plate" the page that shows up next actually tells you some useful information, other than just showing how the model will be built line by line.

Did I say I have zero experience in this at all? :D ;)

So comparing the volumetric speed limitation for the filament types, there IS indeed a big difference.

Bambu PLA Basic profile:
1711564639993.png

And the filament profile I created after doing a calibration created this:

1711564882140.png

I then tweaked the VSL from 12 to 20 and it certainly prints after but for this particular job I did, the print completed about an hour or so sooner but also looked like there was a lot of spider web material strung all over it.

I've since changed the VSL setting for my filament profile from 20 down to 18, but have also changed the max feed speed threshold from 8s to 5s.
1711565165901.png

I'm now printing the other pieces for my AMS stand/riser and have actually looked at some of the information after slicing the plate. Most noteably the Flow which appears to look very consistent to me.

1711565303706.png

Now granted all yellow could be bad for all I know, but at least it's all bad and not just parts of it. haha.

Even at the incredibly slow pace I'm picking very small things up so far, it makes me realize how much this machine really does for me. I've pretty much just treated this like a Circuit machine, where I just pick a file and print it and somehow everything tends to work out in the end. It's pretty neat stuff.

What do you think of all the “high speed” filaments being released? It seems gimmicky to me since the printer itself determines most of the speed capability, but maybe I’m missing something.

There is definitely something in the formula to make them flow better.. what that is, I'm not quite sure.. but I do know it messes with the plastic.. high speed abs seems more fragile than generic..

So I learned something today. When you click on "Splice Plate" the page that shows up next actually tells you some useful information, other than just showing how the model will be built line by line.

Did I say I have zero experience in this at all? :D ;)

So comparing the volumetric speed limitation for the filament types, there IS indeed a big difference.

Bambu PLA Basic profile:
View attachment 357242

And the filament profile I created after doing a calibration created this:

View attachment 357244

I then tweaked the VSL from 12 to 20 and it certainly prints after but for this particular job I did, the print completed about an hour or so sooner but also looked like there was a lot of spider web material strung all over it.

I've since changed the VSL setting for my filament profile from 20 down to 18, but have also changed the max feed speed threshold from 8s to 5s.
View attachment 357246

I'm now printing the other pieces for my AMS stand/riser and have actually looked at some of the information after slicing the plate. Most noteably the Flow which appears to look very consistent to me.

View attachment 357248

Now granted all yellow could be bad for all I know, but at least it's all bad and not just parts of it. haha.

Even at the incredibly slow pace I'm picking very small things up so far, it makes me realize how much this machine really does for me. I've pretty much just treated this like a Circuit machine, where I just pick a file and print it and somehow everything tends to work out in the end. It's pretty neat stuff.

I crank mine to 60mm/s and use speed settings to find my speed.. I don't let the slicer determine what I want to print at..

Holy moly. You are seeing the VSL to 60!? What printer are you using?
K1 max... k1 hot ends flow at about 32 mm/sec max with the correct filament..

I don't use pre programmed filament profiles.. I use one profile for every filament I ever use.. always have.. I just change a couple settings to go with what filament Im using at that given time.. so setting my max volumetric flow at 60 let's me determine what speed I want to print at..

I also know the limits of flow/ speed on all the filaments I use, so it's easy for me to choose a speed to match that filament without the enabled limitation on a volumetric flow setting..

Volumetric flow settings are there to prevent the unknowing from running to fast for the filament and then bugging the manufacturer over a user error.. 👍

The P1S came with a 0.4mm stainless steel hotend that I replaced with a 0.6mm hardened steel hotend. I haven't noticed any major speed improvements and some items seem to need tweaking to get just right. So I've swapped out the 0.6mm with a 0.4mm hardened steel hotend.

Seems more prints, that I'm finding, are more designed with a 0.4mm anyways so maybe fitment might be a bit better. Plus I like the smoother look of the 0.4 vs the 0.6mm.

Getting ready to start printing the Smoothy Y-Connector as the hardware for it was just delivered today!

The P1S came with a 0.4mm stainless steel hotend that I replaced with a 0.6mm hardened steel hotend. I haven't noticed any major speed improvements and some items seem to need tweaking to get just right. So I've swapped out the 0.6mm with a 0.4mm hardened steel hotend.

Seems more prints, that I'm finding, are more designed with a 0.4mm anyways so maybe fitment might be a bit better. Plus I like the smoother look of the 0.4 vs the 0.6mm.

Getting ready to start printing the Smoothy Y-Connector as the hardware for it was just delivered today!

The .6 nozzle will provide a Stronger part for the same wall count as a .4

It won't print any "faster"..
until you up the resolution to 0.34mm height vs .2
Then it'll be moving ,for sure!
But you'll compromise on surface detail/smoothness..

NOTE:
You might need to update the new nozzle size in the Slicer so it'll know ,to calculate new speeds correctly.

I know it needs to be done when I switch out different size nozzles on my printers with Cura.

Not sure if Bambu does it automatically.. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any major speed improvements and some items seem to need tweaking to get just right.
Moving to a bigger nozzle should definitely provide speed improvements, assuming the settings are similar. I wonder if you’re hitting the maximum extruder volume setting?

Someday I will have to take the plunge and get one. It's very cool technology.

Need a place to put it. Work bench isn't level and gets pounded on, which would throw the machine out of level. No space in my office, plus I'm sure cats and 3D printers are not a good combo. Cat hair combined with plastic makes it extra strong right?

Back