Limitless Problem with Limitless cutting out Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What type of "motor analyzer" do you have? I'd like to get one for my experiments.
Skyrc. Got it off ebay and it's a must for any motor guy.
Wow. Calibrated my setup and disabled the LVC and it's not doing it as bad but it's still cutting out at top speed. Always, same thing, after it coasts for a few seconds it will drive again just fine. I guess I will replace some connectors and see if that helps. Rolling on the trigger definately helps. Not as bad once we quit stabbing the throttle at about 80ish. If the LVC isn't what's cutting out then, is there something else in the esc that can cut out? Is there some sort of max amps safety thing?

What I can't understand is if the max 6 can run a Losi DBXLe then why can't this larger model handle this application? If I had a bigger pinion would that make it worse or better? I can see it going either way. I mean, our top speed today was 96mph with a Cordova motor and max 5 but I imagine I could get close to that with stock setup. Is the motor freewheeling too much? I've got a 29t pinion and whatever is stock spur / spool.

This is puzzling me. The fact that it always starts going again and the steering never stops.

I will replace the connectors and maybe put some thicker motor wires but I just have the feeling that's not going to be it. Could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are amp limiting. Most speed runners use Castle ESCs like the XLX or the MM2 Retro because they don’t have amp limits.

Sounds like you are amp limiting. Most speed runners use Castle ESCs like the XLX or the MM2 Retro because they don’t have amp limits.

If that is the case then which sounds like it is, then could I theoretically go faster with this esc with a slightly less powerful motor?

I had a nice XLX with cap pack that I sold a while back. Wish I'd kept it. I do have an MM2 though but it's just such a smaller esc that conventional wisdom kind of gets tossed aside.

Question, if somebody wants to run more than 8s like 10s or so, which esc is the wise choice?

The size of motor really isn’t a huge factor. You’re trying to push a rig thru the air and at a given speed. That load is pretty constant. This assumes that all motors are the same efficiency.

I knew that something like this was possible but I thought these sort of difficulties wouldn't happen til well past the 100 mark. Not struggling to break 90 with such an impressive looking esc and motor.

Geez I used a max 8 to push a colossus MT well past 50.

Skyrc. Got it off ebay and it's a must for any motor guy.
Wow. Calibrated my setup and disabled the LVC and it's not doing it as bad but it's still cutting out at top speed. Always, same thing, after it coasts for a few seconds it will drive again just fine. I guess I will replace some connectors and see if that helps. Rolling on the trigger definately helps. Not as bad once we quit stabbing the throttle at about 80ish. If the LVC isn't what's cutting out then, is there something else in the esc that can cut out? Is there some sort of max amps safety thing?

What I can't understand is if the max 6 can run a Losi DBXLe then why can't this larger model handle this application? If I had a bigger pinion would that make it worse or better? I can see it going either way. I mean, our top speed today was 96mph with a Cordova motor and max 5 but I imagine I could get close to that with stock setup. Is the motor freewheeling too much? I've got a 29t pinion and whatever is stock spur / spool.

This is puzzling me. The fact that it always starts going again and the steering never stops.

I will replace the connectors and maybe put some thicker motor wires but I just have the feeling that's not going to be it. Could be wrong though.

Thanks for the info.

I just bought one.....

I knew that something like this was possible but I thought these sort of difficulties wouldn't happen til well past the 100 mark. Not struggling to break 90 with such an impressive looking esc and motor.

Geez I used a max 8 to push a colossus MT well past 50.
I would try to switch back and forth between your systems. Maybe try the Max5 with the Poseidon or the MM2 and so one. And always keep the cables short and stay away from too many adapters. The limitless should be able to hit the 100mph mark with all of your power systems. I had a Max8 combo in my Infraction and I wanted a little bit more so I got the Max6. Unfortunately there was no improvement, it's a great ESC but it's not meant for speed runs and so is the Max5 I think. I currently have a MM2 which I flashed to the Retro firmware and it hasn't cut out one me yet. If you still want to use your Max5 for the speed runs I'd try to ease in the throttle as much as you can.

Wow, if a max5 can't handle the amps from the Cordova what would it take?
It will easily handle that motor..i would turn the lvc off and just get a 10 dollar lv alarm for the batt. It shouldnt be going into lvc just cruizing by..sounds like the esc may need to be calibrated

Sorry I wish I had seen this thread sooner.
The HobbyWing ESCs are notorious for cutting out when the load gets high. They are extremely durable basher ESCs but not the best for speed uses. Amp cut out almost always occurs around 90+mph because that is when the air resistance is pushing back hard enough.

The gearing you are using sounds fine and wouldn't cause the cut out although might be aggressive if the motor is truly around 2700kv

As previously mentioned MM2 retro (no amp limiting) or XLX will be the best solution.
The XLX takes up some serious real estate, but will allow you to go faster than the MM2 plus being capable of running 8s if you wanted.

Just as a warning all Castle ESCs used for speed should have a big cap pack on them. At least 6,000 micro farads. (the more the better if you can fit it somewhere)

Last edited:
I've got an MM2 but how do I tell it it's the Retro? I'm guessing it's not because this same motor cut out in another vehicle with an mm2.

I wish I had my XLX back I sold a while back. Had a nice Killmode cap pack as well. Oh well.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I've got an MM2 but how do I tell it it's the Retro? I'm guessing it's not because this same motor cut out in another vehicle with an mm2.

I wish I had my XLX back I sold a while back. Had a nice Killmode cap pack as well. Oh well.

You can tell by the firmware version.

What would a person use if they wanted to play around with batteries larger than 8s? 10s or 12s for speed run.

What would a person use if they wanted to play around with batteries larger than 8s? 10s or 12s for speed run.
How fast are you trying to go? I ask because even on 6S guys are hitting over 150mph. On 8S you could probably get at least another 10mph. Unless you have mastered that level, I would dial back a bit and get your feet wet first.

Firmware 1.24. But I think the retro is not necessary. The normal monster 2's will still get you over 100.

Or better said, I'm not a huge fan of the "oh welp it's not a retro guess it's not gonna be a speed runner esc" mentality. People forget they used the monster 2's for a long time, way before the retro even came out. Those who want above 130? Sure buy a retro or an MMM. But a monster 2, retro or not, will be a huge improvement. Castle's current limitation is a lot less severe than hobbywing's.

I just did some searching, seems like anything below version 1.27 is a go to for those looking to reflash their esc's if you're qualified enough to do so, and really need a little more mph- as this is where the limiting software was implemented.
IMG_2598.PNG

Last edited:
Maybe try alien power system or mgm.
Not Alien unless you like the car to be on fire.
MGM is likely the best bet and I believe the warranty was 3 years? From what I have read they are a little tricky to setup.

I would agree that you should max out an 8s XLX first before going to something like 12-16s systems.

Can those Castle 160hv systems handle speed run type situations on 10s?

Yes I am getting my feet wet but planning ahead. They make 1/5 scale motor mounts now. Those motors many of them can go 12s or higher.

Thanks guys.

Can those Castle 160hv systems handle speed run type situations on 10s?

Yes I am getting my feet wet but planning ahead. They make 1/5 scale motor mounts now. Those motors many of them can go 12s or higher.

Thanks guys.
Many of those ESCs are for planes, you will have to be careful as some have no function for brakes. Also unsure how they respond to surface RX/TX systems versus plane. I would think signals are the same, but I don't know for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back