Fireteam Project Failure - A noobs attempt to keep a Fireteam on the road for more then 24 hours

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick run back to the camera but you can see some of the doubles etc that are overgrown.

There are a couple of bermed corners as well. If you really want to see it all i could get better footage but as I think about it a platform out there and a cleared course might be a ton of fun ??

Was that You giggling at the end of the video!?

Wow, you have PLENTY of open land. Just some food for thought since you have the space...Kraton 8s, Outcast 8s, DBXL-E.

305 : Bro this is a total money pit
Also 305 : you need all these...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah. We got out of the Vancouver area about 3 years ago and leaving the city has been great for us. Its not for everyone for sure but its great having land and not seeing neighbours. We have about 4 acres in the main yard and then a bunch of pastures and tree'd areas. We have over 130 acres so lots of potential to do things. Im thinking I need a wood platform out at the dirt track and Ill get that cleaned out but leave the rough stuff on the sides.

Its awesome being able to just walk out the basement door and dump the thing on the grass without having to go out to a spot you need to drive to.

Its also great being on the upper deck looking down on the main yard because one of our two young white shepards just loves to chase it around. Its hilarious to watch... and he will wear himself out chasing it....

The pinion failure is common. Get rid of the stock “safety-d” stuff and get a quality pinion from Saga, Tekno, Robinson, etc.
And extreme cold breaks plastic so fast it’s crazy. Any hard impact and pieces fall out into your hand.
Keep bearings on hand.
You’ll have a blast with it this summer.
+!!
Still waiting for some pins but i can start at least.

Money pit indeed lol

View attachment 292883
Wasted your $$ on all those Arrma crap BB's. Same will happen again. We all been thru this. I would get better parts online. LHS is making a killing on you. Unless you want to be his business partner, then that's ok.:giggle:
Since you have them there already, I would pop out both seals on each one, cleanout with solvent, and use a light grease , 1/3 filled and reinstall the seals. You might get more than 4 packs out of them. :giggle: LHS steered you wrong. Get TRBRC , Jims, Avids or other brand BB's.
This FT is not for young children at all. Yeah a toy, but a dangerous and expensive and heavy one. Not for children. Maybe you figured that out by now? IDK.
User error. I find my FT to be fairly durable. Better get Fr and Rr alloy chassis braces if you didn't already. the plastic stockers will fail. You are already at a disadvantage. The alloy braces will help you. You don't want to bend that Chassis too.
what is jennys?

edit- im guessing JennysRC... ill dig around there. thanks for the tips!
They are a kit breaker. Many parts are much cheaper than retail. 99% of us use jennysRC. Or we would all be broke.:ROFLMAO:
Why did you change to those different tires. I think that was a backward move. My 2 cents.
I am running a 17T Tekno pinion on my FT. All stock electrics on 6s. Double fans on the stocker motor (20mm x40mm, 28cfm's). I tossed that dumb Heatsink and use a double fan motor mount. Runs way cooler. Stock tires holding up great. Very strong tires and wheels unless you smash them up. Some ideas.....
I get 58 mph over dirt and grass and 67 on pavement. When your diffs explode, change to 60k front, 500k , 20-30k rear oil. Stock oils are 10k/300k/10k. Way too thin and I bet they are very low on oil. Factory skimps on the oil. So plan on destroying the stock diffs sooner than later if you never touched them out the box. JennysRC has them also.

Last edited:
+!!

Wasted your $$ on all those Arrma crap BB's. Same will happen again. We all been thru this. I would get better parts online. LHS is making a killing on you. Unless you want to be his business partner, then that's ok.:giggle:
Since you have them there already, I would pop out both seals on each one, cleanout with solvent, and use a light grease , 1/3 filled and reinstall the seals. You might get more than 4 packs out of them. :giggle: LHS steered you wrong. Get TRBRC , Jims, Avids or other brand BB's.
This FT is not for young children at all. Yeah a toy, but a dangerous and expensive and heavy one. Not for children. Maybe you figured that out by now? IDK.
User error. I find my FT to be fairly durable. Better get Fr and Rr alloy chassis braces if you didn't already. the plastic stockers will fail. You are already at a disadvantage. The alloy braces will help you. You don't want to bend that Chassis too.

They are a kit breaker. Many parts are much cheaper than retail. 99% of us use jennysRC. Or we would all be broke.:ROFLMAO:
Why did you change to those different tires. I think that was a backward move. My 2 cents.
I am running a 17T Tekno pinion on my FT. All stock electrics on 6s. Double fans on the stocker motor (20mm x40mm, 28cfm's). I tossed that dumb Heatsink and use a double fan motor mount. Runs way cooler. Stock tires holding up great. Very strong tires and wheels unless you smash them up. Some ideas.....
I get 58 mph over dirt and grass and 67 on pavement. When your diffs explode, change to 60k front, 500k , 20-30k rear oil. Stock oils are 10k/300k/10k. Way too thin and I bet they are very low on oil. Factory skimps on the oil. So plan on destroying the stock diffs sooner than later if you never touched them out the box. JennysRC has them also.

Ill look at those brands again. I forgot about Dan's post so thanks for bumping it.

Im ok supporting the LHS a bit as I got the FT on Black friday but yeah... ill be broke on bearings before long at this rate lol.

Yeah. the kids come out with me but they don't have enough control to really be safe around it. They likely need a smaller one with less speed to build up the skill. at 100% the braking distance on long grass is pretty intense.

The tires were me getting too excited at the LHS and wanting to try new things. but the trenchers are so big they are likely not helping all the wear.

Thanks for the tech tips. the next thing is figuring out the fluid maintenance like you mentioned as im coming close anyways.
im figuring out the mechanical maintenance is part of the fun as I figure out how the whole thing works.

Yeah , I was never partial to the overpriced PL Trenchers if that is what you are referring to. All show, no go. Easy to get sucked in.... Your LHS must love you. But hey if you wallet allows, keep using him. Great to support a small business. But need to be realistic at some point. The Stockers FT tires are much easier on the drivetrain. MethodRC belted tires are a great alternative also. My next choice.

BTW I am waiting for you to post a thread how your front cvd's keep popping out. :LOL:
I am waiting for that one.
It happens, and there is a fix for that too.

Last edited:
Yeah , I was never partial to the overpriced PL Trenchers if that is what you are referring to. All show, no go. Easy to get sucked in.... Your LHS must love you. But hey if you wallet allows, keep using him. Great to support a small business. But need to be realistic at some point. The Stockers FT tires are much easier on the drivetrain. MethodRC belted tires are a great alternative also. My next choice.

BTW I am waiting for you to post a thread how your front cvd's keep popping out. :LOL:
I am waiting for that one.
It happens, and there is a fix for that too.
Im going to have to challenge the all show assertion with my latest tire setup good Sir!!!

20230418_172035.jpg

I tried CH 2's, 6s BF's, BF LP's, DTX 1/8 Truggy race pins, and Belted Terrain Crushers. I ended up liking the Stocker FT tires best.
I didn't widen the track like others do by using the Kraton Hubs/axles. I stayed with the stocker Talion Hubs.
To reduce traction rolling, I adjusted the rear Camber links to reduce my "Roll center" and "Layed down" all 4 of my shocks at the towers. And she is driving best now with the stocker FT tires. They're very durable. More so than any of the others. I could see a "lighter" Belted tire in its future. May try the MethodRC's.

I tried the badlands up front and the trenchers in the back but got a lot of rollover as the front tires traction was exceeded.

Likely go badlands all around.
Thought i would check the weight difference.
The PL are both belted.

20230422_113111.jpg

20230422_113122.jpg

20230422_113137.jpg

Found these 17mm wheel nut covers im trying to print in TPU. I haven't used TPU before so the print is rough but they work well in the deeper rims because the flexibility allows them to be pried off as they flex easily.
Hopefully they stay on... ill be testing later today.

20230429_130702.jpg

20230429_130739.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back