Kraton Project Notark build log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
Kraton 6s BLX V5
Wasn't planning on logging my build, but with a unique look for it currently in the mail I'll want to show it off.

c.jpg

As it stands (7/20/23)

Currently on the truck
Castle Mamba Monster X 8s
Heat sink + Rocket fan
16t pinion
EXB upper hingepin supports
EXB shock towers F/R
Traxxas TQi
RPM front uppers

Planned upgrades
GPM dual-rate shocks
M2C braces
RPM V5 front lower arms
Castle 1717 1650kv

On the way
JConcepts 1979 F250 Supercab body
Method RC Terraform belted tires

b.jpg

I haven't seen anyone but one person running the 1979

w.jpg

Paired with the Method wheels it should stand out from most Kratons

I'll be posting updates as parts arrive, and hopefully a breakdown of where I trim to make the body work. I know the selection of bodies is virtually unlimited, but it seems like documentation is scarce. Seeing a bunch of the same thing in the 1/8 truggy class. I'm building this Kraton alongside another, which is slowly becoming a green themed 8S Hulk. Hoping to do a build log for that truck separately! Thanks for stopping by

The body and wheels have arrived!
For my life I can never decide on a color, so I went with the most neutral one of all, Tamiya TS-48 Gunship Gray
top (1)res.jpg

The rear end of the body had to be shortened by about 2". Body now measures 16 7/8 (428mm). I also kept most of the included material along the rocker to try to cover as much of the motor as I could.
f.jpg

I'm a huge fan of these Method RC tires already. They look awesome and give an "all terrain" look to the truck. Not gonna lie though when I say I'd expected them to be a tad smaller. Comparing the two side by side the difference is pretty evident. Fortunately, the weight seems to have been kept down and is very comparable to my dirt filled worn out OEM ones.
g.jpg

Here's the body, minus a few finishing details and decals I applied after the shot. Came with a ton of decals, places just millimeters apart for optimal frustration! :D
d.jpg

DSC07414.JPG

DSC07415.JPG

Overall, love the scale. It's going to be getting a whoopin' though, so please don't mind my harsh cuts and jagged lines. Blown out just about every hub bearing so I won't be running until a few refreshing things arrive. When I do I'll review the Methods on this thread.

This! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Popped right back into place though! Can't say the same for the paint though lol. Definitely got a thing or two to learn about painting before I buy the next
Adds character! 👍🏼

Wonder how a Notorious rollbar would line up with the center brace 🤔

Last edited:
Wheels and tires seem to have blown up my stock rear diff and servo pretty quickly. Not unexpected, the rear diff was unshimmed and has withstood more than a year and a half of daily-weekly bashing. I expect the OEM motor to go next.
diff.jpg

Tires are holding up well. Bunch of ripping around hard dirt and asphalt. Geared 16/50 motor doesn't get hot at all. c fvgb43e5r9i8oukj
tires.jpg

I have an AGFRC servo and Hot Racing Tie-rod/horn OTW

This! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Popped right back into place though! Can't say the same for the paint though lol. Definitely got a thing or two to learn about painting before I buy the next one.

View attachment 314804

Tamiya TS paint is meant for hard plastic bodys (ABS, PS). For polycarbonate you need Tamiya PS rattlecans.

You can use the TS paints on polycarbonate bodys if you lay down a first coat of Tamiya PS55 flat clear. However I have the paint come loose over time anyway ...

Last edited:
Tamiya TS paint is meant for hard plastic bodys (ABS, PS). For polycarbonate you need Tamiya PS rattlecans.

You can use the TS paints on polycarbonate bodys if you lay down a first coat of Tamiya PS55 flat clear. However I have the pait come loose over time anyway ...
That's useful info right there 👆 thank u! I should've researched before buying my paint. Thinking a two tone blue and white for the next F250 :^)

DSC07576.jpg

I've officially put 15 runs on the AGFRC A81.

The servo performs very well for my general use. I suppose they're not kidding when they say it's only a torque upgrade at 50+kg/in and this one's 45kg. It feels significantly faster than the Perfect Pass servo in Ol' Yeller however that might just be in my head.
Most noticeable on loose dirt and while using the brake to kick the back of the truck around. I'd anticipated some adjustment was needed for my endpoints, but knowing I've got a Traxxas TQi and can't set them I've held off on the aluminum servo mount for now.
It'll look pretty, but at full throw this thing already contorts the mounts in ways I didn't know it could. Better to break a $10 mount than a $110 servo! :^)

DSC07546.jpg

I've been loving the look of this thing while driving it so much. Thankful every run that I didn't ruin it which a set of MX38s.

Last edited:
knabbed a couple A81s when Aliexpress had a sale for $80, absolute beast of a servo and quick enough to fishtail easily at any speed on all terrain even with an XLWB.

BEC is turned up and WOW! I didn't even realize what I was missing. Castle Link tells me my ESC was at 5.5v stock, which I was unaware of. Now running 7.5V and is finally strong enough to oversteer the truck.
Took some of the toe out of the front (about 1mm longer per link) with great results. The truck now oversteers on command and the turn-in feels awesome.
DSC07578-2.jpg

Definitely been a while for this sucker. Kraton was put on the backburner after a couple unfortunate mishaps all at once. Fortunately she's back up and running.
The Castle Mamba Monster X 8S (MMX8S) shroud/cover isn't durable enough for 6S bashers. I'd broken two of them, and the installation process is TERRIBLE, so I looked elsewhere.
Went with Hyperflows' solution. Here's the link, I'd highly recommend it if your MMX8S keeps breaking. Hyperflow Fans makes mounts for much larger fans than I consider necessary but they're significantly stronger than the factory cover.

Broke the AGFRC A81. Not sure how, but water got into the assembly. Opened up the bottom cover after it died to see dirty water stains. Can't say I'll be going with them ever again after seeing what they consider to be a "waterproof" design.
Opted for the Perfect Pass Monster in hopes that it'll handle rainy days with some more grace.

I've bought: Scorched Parts hingepin holder
Treal lower suspension mounts front and rear
RPM front bumper
Yet another JConcepts 1979 (first one snapped clean in half)

DSC07960.jpg

Kraton or Notorious/Mojave Center Brace mount and some padding/foam to support for cab landings or they will be the demise of your next body too. (y)

DSC07938-2.jpg

Kraton or Notorious/Mojave Center Brace mount and some padding/foam to support for cab landings or they will be the demise of your next body too. (y)

I'll be trimming up my factory one soon. I need to remove almost half of its mass to run this body. I'll gladly keep running through them though if the body support doesn't hold up.

Last edited:
Back