Granite Project slow Granite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonUF02

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Nero
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Outcast 4s
Thought I would start my own thread for this since there was some initial discussion hijacking another gearing thread. I wanted a slow RC for my 3.5yr old girl to play with. She keeps asking me if I got her a race car yet. I was on the fence between a crawler like TRX4 or Gen8 vs. a Granite 4x4 and make it very slow somehow.

I decided on the Granite route, and I wanted the 3s platform rather than the Mega for the extra durability upgrades, and room for future skills growth.

Today I picked up a Granite 3s BLX slightly used for $200. It's the latest model, guy said he had it only a week, but he's a crawler guy. Exactly what I did with an SCX10 that I bought once on a great sale. Ran it once in the yard and decided slow sucks. This came with the box and everything original, except he put in some Futaba servo which he said was power hungry, and probably needed a stronger voltage BEC, and changed the battery connection to Deans, which is fine with me because the 2s battery I'm going to use already had Deans on it.

I will likely check the Futaba servo and see if it has some value, because I have the ADS-15 from my 4s Outcast that I never used due to immediate swap to a Savox I had, so that should be fine for this slow runner project.

I played with the truck very shortly on 2s and changing the radio settings to 75 and 50%. It's still a bit too fast on 50%. I don't know what the complaints are with this Spektrum radio, because it all seemed to function normally for me.

Thoughts to make it slower - first thought was to put in an 11T pinion and adjustable motor mount, maybe on 50% remote that would be slow enough. Pro- easy to change it to 75 or 100% when bigger kids want to play.

Second thought - I have a Castle Sidewinder SV3 ESC in one of my other cars. I know I can go in with the Castle Link software and tune this pretty much any way I want. Set a max power % from the ESC rather than radio. I also think drag brake would be good for learning, it will stop if she just lets go of the throttle. I'll probably start with a pretty high drag brake setting, also minimal reverse power. This is the route I'm going to try first, as it will only cost me a few bucks to wire in the SV3 with the rest of the car stock. If I like it, looks like buying another Sidewinder SCT or SV3 esc will be about even money with the value of the BLX100 ESC. (Anyone want to trade???) I've always been a fan of Castle exactly for this reason of infinite software tuning. I don't know of any other option that has such flexible software.

Once I get the speed and handling where I like it, I'm probably buying the body from Proline for the Stampede. My LHS has the new Z71 body in stock. For paint, I'm thinking a bit of the Spazz Stix Amethyst Purple Pearl for some sparkle backed with a hot pink and white with blacked out windows and bed.

Here is where I'm at with my custom body for my little girl. Extra sparkle purple paint job. I'm going to try and make the decals in hot pink on the Cricut. Waiting on 4s body posts and mounts to get the front up where it needs to be. Adding more button protectors to the nose, and Mojave roof Guards. Probably a TBR front bumper for protection.

Attachments

• 20200209_130552.jpg
    20200209_130552.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200209_130526.jpg
    20200209_130526.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 76
Here is where I'm at with my custom body for my little girl. Extra sparkle purple paint job. I'm going to try and make the decals in hot pink on the Cricut. Waiting on 4s body posts and mounts to get the front up where it needs to be. Adding more button protectors to the nose, and Mojave roof Guards. Probably a TBR front bumper for protection.
Damn that's a nice body and paint. Hi Peppa! ?‍♂️

I can confirm the Sidewinder 3 ESC does NOT play well with the stock 3s motor. Lots of strange noises and even when I removed all the punch control, delay, and set the power curve to straight line, etc. it had way less power than the stock ESC with everything else constant. The ESC heatsink got pretty hot with just a short run around my garage on 2s. Luckily I had the system in another car and pulled it out to experiment, and did not buy another one.

I'm going to swap the pinion with my 4s 13T. I think this will get it down to the slow speed I want with the stock remote on 50% limit switch and 2s battery.

The 15T should be a riot in the 4s Outcast, I'll have to monitor system temps, but I know other guys are running 15T

You can turn down the punch and like someone else mentioned in another thread yesterday you can calibrate the throttle, just don't pull the trigger all the way when calibrating forward

You can turn down the punch and like someone else mentioned in another thread yesterday you can calibrate the throttle, just don't pull the trigger all the way when calibrating forward
The thread is from a year and a half ago. I'm sure he got it figured out by now. Lol

Last edited:
A crawler would have been better. Easier to work with for a very young child. Less carnage will result. Cost less to maintain.
Yes an old thread that I followed for a while.

Would love to see how this truck looks a year later. Thought about doing something similar for my little girl. Proline bodies come attached to the mold, don’t they?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back