BickeringBam - YouTube Mega Star!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
BigRock 4x4, Granite, Notorious, Talion
10AF7BBE-31F3-4868-9747-947C33C44B2E.jpeg

After doing battle with the pinion gear on my brand new Typhon, I went and picked up one of these. From the factory, Arrma uses an ungodly amount of loctite on the pinion gear set screw and it gets on the shaft. It took me 30 minutes last night to remove the factory pinion and I beat the hell out of the motor mount in the process. If I had a pinion puller the job would have been over in 5 minutes and my motor mount wouldn’t have been harmed. I’m new to electric so I didn’t have this tool in my box. I do now. For $24 it could save you a ton of aggravation.

bicketybam

Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
That or a lighter
I used a torch and still couldn’t knock it off easily. There was so much loctite on there. Trust me when I tell you a lighter wouldn’t have cut it.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 21638

After doing battle with the pinion gear on my brand new Typhon, I went and picked up one of these. From the factory, Arrma uses an ungodly amount of loctite on the pinion gear set screw and it gets on the shaft. It took me 30 minutes last night to remove the factory pinion and I beat the hell out of the motor mount in the process. If I had a pinion puller the job would have been over in 5 minutes and my motor mount wouldn’t have been harmed. I’m new to electric so I didn’t have this tool in my box. I do now. For $24 it could save you a ton of aggravation.
That's actually pretty dang clever. I like it! :D

bicketybam

Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
That's actually pretty dang clever. I like it! :D
I've only really needed one with brand new vehicles. I got the Kraton one off after a little bit. But the Typhon one wouldn't fit though the motor mount and it made it really difficult.

Mr.Duke

~ Likes to 👨‍🌾 farm in flip flops ~
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Notorious, Talion
I fought with the stock pinion for 20 minutes and ended up heating the set screw with a soldering iron and my wife's clothes iron on the face of the pinion.
I should probably go ahead and order a puller just to save me future aggravation

slick2500

Will work for beer.
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Outcast 6s, Typhon 3s
I ended up cutting my stock pinion off, had to chop the damn thing in half. The grub screw insta stripped on me.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Mine was stuck pretty good on my outcast when I got it. I used a mini torch on the pinion directly until it was pretty hot, then it slipped off pretty easily.

That puller does look like a good thing to use though in general. Then your not putting any strain at all on the motor shaft/magnet.

TooTall

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
, Nero, Talion, , 4x4-Mega, Notorious
View attachment 21638

@bicketybam can you tell us what model/part number that puller is and where you got it?

TT

Mpjg

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s
I just snapped one of the small aluminium universal pullers getting the pinion off the typhon motor. Ended up using a set of proper bearing pullers.

BashingBrian

ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Granite, Infraction, Kraton 6s, Senton
@bicketybam ... that looks like a bit of a beast of a puller, its amazing how easy they will remove the most stubborn pinions..!!😉👍🏼

But really you need one of these..🤪🤣🤣🤣🤣🤪

Screenshot 2019-07-17 at 08.47.38.jpeg