Radio range..!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting..

While looking around the speedrun community I stumbled on this by InnovationRC... two ariels at 90deg..!!
What's weird though is Futaba say it isn't compatible with a 4PM, but I'm sure that's what he runs..??

View attachment 83796
It’s a receiver for a air plane look up R2006GS
Interesting..

While looking around the speedrun community I stumbled on this by InnovationRC... two ariels at 90deg..!!
What's weird though is Futaba say it isn't compatible with a 4PM, but I'm sure that's what he runs..??

View attachment 83796
It’s a receiver for a air plane look up R2006GS

Been looking at the Futaba R324SBS rx as it has diversity aerial ? for more range..?

May pick up a 4PM this week, practically all Futaba stock sold out in the UK at the moment..?

Would love a 7PX but just can't justify the cost ?

Picked up a mint Futaba 3PM-MX
off eBay for $100 to solve my range problems.
D413D691-F817-40B0-BB02-2AAB7D97F03E.jpeg

9583696E-D2EF-4DA3-BED9-CEF3ADDF7BE7.jpeg

Tested it out to 1270’ this evening before it was too far away to see clearly and brought it back without ever losing signal.
I’ll do an absolute range test soon and keep going until it does eventually lose signal to get a final measurement for this transmitter and receiver

I recently did this with no modification to my TX!

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/futaba-4pls-range-extender-2watts.23834/

The 2W version drainssss batts so fast so I've since updated it to have an external LiPo pack with a Buck circuit to keep the voltage pegged at 6.1V for the Futaba itself, but let the 2W booster have the full LiPo voltage. Voltage input of the Booster is 5-15v so we are good up to 3s which is nice.

I can post more pics if anyone wants to see the final result.

Attachments

• 20200608_230543.jpg
    20200608_230543.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200608_230528.jpg
    20200608_230528.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200608_230553.jpg
    20200608_230553.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I purchased a Futaba 3PM-2.4G the other day that is in need of an RX. The manual says R603FF/FS is the compatible FASST receiver for this transmitter. Does anyone know if an R617FS air receiver would bind properly to the 3PM surface TX? The two arial R617FS is $50 and the single arial R603FF is $80. Just wanted to check before I gamble. Thanks.

Picked up a mint Futaba 3PM-MX
off eBay for $100 to solve my range problems.
View attachment 84963
View attachment 84964
I see your 3PM-MX and reveal my 3PM-MEGA TECH ? fresh from Italy.. ( Hopefully it's ok, it was a lot cheaper than a 7PXR ??? )
Haven't tested it yet, looks mint except it's missing the on/off switch cover..??
Just reading through the manual, I'm surprised how many features it has considering its age..!!!

IMG_6650.jpeg

I see your 3PM-MX and reveal my 3PM-MEGA TECH ? fresh from Italy.. ( Hopefully it's ok, it was a lot cheaper than a 7PXR ??? )
Haven't tested it yet, looks mint except it's missing the on/off switch cover..??
Just reading through the manual, I'm surprised how many features it has considering its age..!!!
Great find, it looks like new!

I had always wondered about the 3PK model. It appears to have 2 antenna on the Transmitter.

1592420161269.png

Attachments

• 1592420161643.png
    1592420161643.png
    682.6 KB · Views: 38
So did a range test today with my new (old) Futaba 3PM..
Had a friend stay with the car and I merrily walked off into the distance continually using the throttle and steering the car.

Here's the result, 1267.2 feet..!! ( I had no line of sight to the car, trees blocked my view once I got past about 900 feet )
I wasn't holding the radio in the optimum position either I was just walking along whilst on the phone to my mate checking all the time I had a good connection to the car..???

I'm really happy with outcome...

IMG_6724.jpeg

Out of curiosity, what sort of distance do people do when doing a speedrun that goes over 100mph..??

So did a range test today with my new (old) Futaba 3PM..
Had a friend stay with the car and I merrily walked off into the distance continually using the throttle and steering the car.

Here's the result, 1267.2 feet..!! ( I had no line of sight to the car, trees blocked my view once I got past about 900 feet )
I wasn't holding the radio in the optimum position either I was just walking along whilst on the phone to my mate checking all the time I had a good connection to the car..???

I'm really happy with outcome...

View attachment 86680

Out of curiosity, what sort of distance do people do when doing a speedrun that goes over 100mph..??
My runs have been about 1500ft end to end. This means if you stand in the middle, you need 750ft of range.

At my spot, I stand about 900ft from the start, closer to the finish. I do this because I would rather have better sight of my rig at its peak speed and trade off visibility at its lowest speeds. From my start line to where I stand there are no driveways or side roads. It’s just a road with cornfields on both sides. At the end of my pass there are two houses, so I try to brake before getting that far... when I still have brakes that is. Usually I just put it in the ditch lately ???‍♂️??‍♂️

@BashingBrian I believe it really depends on how aggressively you accelerate and brake at the end of a run, but my runs that are just a hair over 100mph tend to be around 900-1200 feet distance

My 119mph run I was using more in the 1200-1600 range. As Jon said standing in the middle of that run you are still good on range. I stand on top of my SUV which I found REALLY REALLY helps with visibility, but not a great vantage point for the video (looks slower up high)

Never had a range issue with the 3PM MX

The spot I do most of my passes on now has about 2000’ of usable roadbut I find myself only using between 1200-1400’ for speeds 100-120mph
Logs average about 4.5 seconds of roll on 1-99% throttle and then pinned at 100% for about 3 seconds before hitting the brakes.

BCE0BDC2-44EE-4E4A-8DB4-7A2F4E4CEED7.jpeg

One more bit of advice I would give to others looking for a good spot to run is try to find a spot without trees. The shadows make it harder to keep an eye on your car when hitting 100mph. However, having open fields on both sides makes it more likely that wind will become a factor. There’s a trade off.

One more bit of advice I would give to others looking for a good spot to run is try to find a spot without trees. The shadows make it harder to keep an eye on your car when hitting 100mph. However, having open fields on both sides makes it more likely that wind will become a factor. There’s a trade off.
Another tip. I use Weather underground. This site shows hour by hour wind speed and direction. You might be shocked how many directions the wind will be coming from during the day. (typically 3 different directions depending on the time of day.)

If you can find 2 good roads one that runs north south and the other east west that will give you more possible run days. Always run the car the same direction the wind is blowing. Cross winds are nasty and should be avoided at all costs! Head winds will result in a blow over I can almost guarantee it!

Another tip. I use Weather underground. This site shows hour by hour wind speed and direction. You might be shocked how many directions the wind will be coming from during the day. (typically 3 different directions depending on the time of day.)

If you can find 2 good roads one that runs north south and the other east west that will give you more possible run days. Always run the car the same direction the wind is blowing. Cross winds are nasty and should be avoided at all costs! Head winds will result in a blow over I can almost guarantee it!
That’s the one I use too ?? A sailor buddy of mine introduced me to WU back in the early 2000’s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back