Kraton RC Etiquette

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroK

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
I was out bashing my Kraton 6s when a lady with her kid, around 5 years old approached me. She said her son has rc cars at home and could he try mine.

Honestly, at that moment being caught off-guard, I did not know what to say. I asked if he has experience with large scale rc cars (in hindsight not a good question if she said ‘yes’). She looked at me but did not answer. I just continued talking about the dangers of large powerful cars if someone is inexperienced. Did not mention my headache if the car met a tree at full throttle or worse, someone. She was not overjoyed but understood what I was implying and walked away, kid unhappily following behind.

Has anyone experienced similar situations? What is the proper rc etiquette to tell someone “NO”

honestly, my fave is "I spent my entire life savings on this"
But, I'm also like 14yrs old, so like, kids think they can handle it. But I can barely handle it. But if i know them, I turn the power to 50% and just hope for the best. Or get a 2S lipo out. or both lol. It's always a pretty awkward experience. I have yet to run into anybody who has gotten mad at me for not letting them run it.

Incredibly clueless and entitled of that parent for assuming an adult with an RC car would hand the controller over to a child. Let alone the danger, the value of the car should they crash it probably wasn't even on her radar. I've had parents with children come over, but most of the time there is a dad that understands a hobby and a 40 year old isn't driving a toy car. The kids chased it around and ran over to flip it back on it's wheels once, which prompted the Dad "Is it safe" and I just showed him the controller with my finger off the trigger, and let the kids get some distance away before taking off again. I've found once they see the speed, hear the noise, they tend to back off a bit. I've never had an adult ask to drive it, but I have had children ask, to which I respond, sorry this one isn't a toy.

I tell em straight up that its a $1000+ rig and it is not a regular RC car for kids at all.
My 8yr old asked me yesterday and I told him the same LOL

We have a slower Traxxas RC car that the kids can use, but my 6s basher is not for kids.

All good advice so far. 👍 Or when someone asks:
Seth Rogen Comedy GIF by filmeditor

Next time say, "Hey sure, no problem. Oh but, just in the highly unlikely event, I have some contracts in my car stating that you take full responsibility for any damages caused by this 60mph 20lb. RC car you want your kid to drive, both people and property. I'm sure it goes without saying that if this goes airborne and hits someone in the head, it has the potential to be lethal and I just don't want that kind of baggage at my next job interview. Would you like me to go get one?"

And seriously, what an entitled [message redacted].

I've been in this situation Many times...

When a kid(s) comes running over asking if he/she can have a turn..?
First thing I always ask back- "Do you have a License?", or "Does your parent let you drive their SUVs?"

IF the kiddos are nice and decently respectful And the parent(s) is watching or Nearby when asked..
AND the bashing area is significantly large with no major dangers/obstacles (people, pets, cars, trees, concrete or metal barriers)

I would tell them -
This thing is Fast so I'll control the throttle and you (the kid) can control the steering.

I'd let them control the steering wheel for a bit.

Last edited:
Next time say, "Hey sure, no problem. Oh but, just in the highly unlikely event, I have some contracts in my car stating that you take full responsibility for any damages caused by this 60mph 20lb. RC car you want your kid to drive, both people and property. I'm sure it goes without saying that if this goes airborne and hits someone in the head, it has the potential to be lethal and I just don't want that kind of baggage at my next job interview. Would you like me to go get one?"

And seriously, what an entitled [message redacted].

Plus a $1000 liability/damages deposit.

Walk around with a waiver form in your pocket. When someone asks to drive your car, say "Oh sure! Just sign this waiver for indemnification from fault of operation and that you accept liability for damages and we'll be good to go!!!"

I suspect you won't have many takers after that.

Plus a $1000 liability/damages deposit.
Oh right, I forgot to mention damages to the whip. Good lookin' out brother.

Walk around with a waiver form in your pocket. When someone asks to drive your car, say "Oh sure! Just sign this waiver for indemnification from fault of operation and that you accept liability for damages and we'll be good to go!!!"

I suspect you won't have many takers after that.
My money is on
zero-point-zero.gif

First two questions I always hear when encountering someone while running my RC:
"How fast does it go" and "Can I drive it?"

Regarding etiquette, both inappropriate questions that puts the one running the car in an awkward position to answer. It may seem rude, but I usually say "No" and leave it at that. I would like to have a more tactful response at the ready for a reply. Trying to explain RC in a 30sec sound bite usually gets me the 'deer in the headlights look' before I finish.

NitroK, you handled as best you could given the awkward position it put you in.

Actually issued myself an RC Competition Driver License when running my backyard grass track oval during Covid. That way I could assess penalty points for track infractions.

Still maintain it and re-issue it to myself as a speed and handling certificate renewed yearly or update as I progress. Heck, I haven't even qualified at the highest level of either yet. Am tempted to begin carrying it in my wallet and produce it when asked by another party for a drive. If they can't produce a like document, then, "sorry, no can do..."

First two questions I always hear when encountering someone while running my RC:
"How fast does it go" and "Can I drive it?"

Regarding etiquette, both inappropriate questions that puts the one running the car in an awkward position to answer. It may seem rude, but I usually say "No" and leave it at that. I would like to have a more tactful response at the ready for a reply. Trying to explain RC in a 30sec sound bite usually gets me the 'deer in the headlights look' before I finish.

NitroK, you handled as best you could given the awkward position it put you in.

Thanks. People not in this hobby do not understand the danger. Honesty being the best policy, a firm but compassionate "Sorry, NO" is the answer I am going with from now.

I do like the option of going with full legal disclaimer form with owner's rc liability coverage :)

Actually issued myself an RC Competition Driver License when running my backyard grass track oval during Covid. That way I could assess penalty points for track infractions.

Still maintain it and re-issue it to myself as a speed and handling certificate renewed yearly or update as I progress. Heck, I haven't even qualified at the highest level of either yet. Am tempted to begin carrying it in my wallet and produce it when asked by another party for a drive. If they can't produce a like document, then, "sorry, no can do..."
The way I drive...license suspended or revoked

Technically I can lower the throttle epa low enough that they won't break anything if I hand it to them. Thankfully I don't really have this problem and the one time I did get asked, the kid was like 13 and I thought he could handle it at 50% but he still almost ran my rig into the side of a building even after I warned him to go easy on the throttle at the start. That was enough for me to not want to do it again for anyone else :ROFLMAO:

Back