Typhon Rear hub bearing issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoney

Reaction score
I’ve taken apart a rear hub on my fairly new typhon as it has basically seized up. The bearings are smooth, but as soon as I shove the pin through the hex, the assembly is near locked up and can barely spin anymore. I went ahead and sanded the bearing contact point on the hex, which helped, and now, it’s only notchy when the pin goes in.
Despite it being better, as soon as I tighten the set screw to lock the pin in place, the assembly becomes completely locked up, and can barely turn.
Does anyone have ideas as to what happened here? Could the bearings be messed up, but only under pressure?

F1E2C9A6-8AEC-43BB-90CF-92813E5BCEB5.jpeg

53A9F6D6-4B1B-41F1-9C07-9014539F6DCF.jpeg

What he said ☝️☝️☝️
That is weird though. Many of mine are actually shimmed to reduce the slop.

Obvious questions but they need to be asked.

Are the bearings fully seated in the carrier?
Is the axle fully pushed hard into the bearings?
I can’t see why they wouldn’t be seated?
They slip in easily and have a nice click. The axle is pushed in pretty hard, hence why it’s grinding a ton.

If everything is back in place perfectly, this is weird. Sand the carrier plastic down till there is no more bite. Is that a newer carrier?
The typhon was perfect when I got it a few weeks ago, but this seems to have happened from oxidation possibly, yet everything looks visually fine. Since the stub axle and the hex are pushing the bearings into the hub, I can’t see how the bearings wouldn’t be pressed in all the way, especially considering their fit isn’t they tight.

What part do you want me to sand?

Before any more sanding, try swapping out THAT hex with another from the opposite side or with the ones from the front axle.. and see if that helps the issue..

Also, install that sanded one onto another side to see if the problem occurs with the hex on other sides..

I’m with @gotnitro . I’d bet dollars to donuts that the bearing isn’t seated all the way. Also, it shouldn’t be grinding at all.

Last edited:
Before any more sanding, try swapping out THAT hex with another from the opposite side or with the ones from the front axle.. and see if that helps the issue..

Also, install that sanded one onto another side to see if the problem occurs with the hex on other sides..
Just tried all of this, the behavior is mostly gone with the other hex, but still definitely there. How tight are the set screws supposed to be? For both sides, when I tighten it far, the axles are basically locked up, and I need to back it off (but not so much that the pin can move).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back