Recommend me better body trimming scissors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got used to using the curved scissors. But I agree it sucks.
I undertrim then finish with the Dremel and/or sandpaper.
Yeah I use a Dremel to clean up also but I can’t get used to the scissors On these thick pro line bodies. My right thumb dislocates if you pull on it moderately hard. Just cutting half the body hurt like hell and I can’t use my hand today. So I am very thankful I found out about this way.

I use scissors and a hobby knife...it reall depends on the body, but I use them about equally...hobby knife method for thinner bodies, scissors for thicker. I only use curved scissors. Tamiya are great...I've had them about a year and have recently cut about a dozen of bodies with them and they still work as new.

I do the score method with all plastics really, easier on the hands and more cleaner looking I think.

Sometimes on long complex curves or 90* corners I'll drill a hole with a micro drill bit so I don't overshoot the line with the knife. Plus the lexan will be less prone to ripping with a slight curvature in corners.

I used a pair of tin snips and then had to smooth the edges with a dremal with a round sander on it.

I do the score method with all plastics really, easier on the hands and more cleaner looking I think.

Sometimes on long complex curves or 90* corners I'll drill a hole with a micro drill bit so I don't overshoot the line with the knife. Plus the lexan will be less prone to ripping with a slight curvature in corners.
I like those two ideas, a small hole to end overshot and slight curvature to avoid cracking. Makes total sense, thanks!
I use scissors and a hobby knife...it reall depends on the body, but I use them about equally...hobby knife method for thinner bodies, scissors for thicker. I only use curved scissors. Tamiya are great...I've had them about a year and have recently cut about a dozen of bodies with them and they still work as new.
That’s what I ended up doing, a combination. On my next one I don’t think I’ll have as much trouble. I saw those Tamyia scissors and was thinking about them. Thanks for mentioning it!

Actually I do the opposite. I use scissors on Thin bodies sometimes, but mostly a Knife on all bodies especially thick ones.
Dremel and then a sanding block to finish the edges smooth.

I've tried scoring but the lines end up looking awful compared to using scissors, too easy to get off course. Have gotten used to scissors now and use them. The scissors aren't perfect, but gets it really close then I just use an exacto knife to clean up any sharp points from where the scissors stop and start again, but usually only have a few of those at worst.
Most useless thing to me has been the body reamer. Not sure why people prefer them to using a drill, they are a pain to use IMO. I can do it faster, easier and more accurate with a drill. Only thing I use the reamer for is to deburr the holes once drilled if they happen to need it.

Last edited:
I've tried scoring but the lines end up looking awful compared to using scissors. Have gotten used to scissors now and use them. Most useless thing to me has been the body reamer. Not sure why people prefer them to using a drill, they are a pain to use IMO. I can do it way faster and more accurate with a drill. Only thing I use the reamer for is to deburr the holes once drilled if they happen to need it.
Makes sense. I can score straight lines easy I found. Scissors on the rest and dremel to smooth out and round sharp corners. That’s the full process I’ll try for my next one, attempt #4.

I start the holes with a 2mm hand drill and finish with a reamer. I rather like them actually. Then I use round metal files and sand paper to debur plastic and smooth out the shoo goo. Think ill try ovalizing with a dermal on the rear ones this time to allow for flex.

I use aviation snips and NEVER cut the lines(cut marks). Instead I cut about 1/8 from it and block sand the straight parts and use 120 grit paper wrapped around a hole saw for wheel wells.
Yes it takes a little longer. But just a little. In return I get crisp lines and near perfect wheel well curves
16480334290205525461221083978704.jpg

I use aviation snips and NEVER cut the lines(cut marks). Instead I cut about 1/8 from it and block sand the straight parts and use 120 grit paper wrapped around a hole saw for wheel wells.
Yes it takes a little longer. But just a little. In return I get crisp lines and near perfect wheel well curves
View attachment 208111
Thanks man! I like that, cutting off line and sanding, and will try it on my next one here soon. Not sure about the snips though…which ones do you use?

I tried the score and snap after using scissors at first. For me it took WAY longer and seemed way harder to stay on course with the lines. I use scissors every time now it takes about 3-5 minutes. On the fenders I just cut on the line but leave a little anywhere the scissors don't turn well with the line. I grab an exacto after that and "shave" off any parts where I left a little, takes another 3-5 minutes and its done.
Reamers are the body tool that I find difficult to use, drill is 10x faster and easier, I just use the reamer for a minute to take the burrs off the edges of the holes I drill out.

I tried the score and snap after using scissors at first. For me it took WAY longer and seemed way harder to stay on course with the lines. I use scissors every time now it takes about 3-5 minutes. On the fenders I just cut on the line but leave a little anywhere the scissors don't turn well with the line. I grab an exacto after that and "shave" off any parts where I left a little, takes another 3-5 minutes and its done.
Reamers are the body tool that I find difficult to use, drill is 10x faster and easier, I just use the reamer for a minute to take the burrs off the edges of the holes I drill out.
I like the xacto knife trick for curved areas. I always fight it with difficulty lol. Thanks man!

Lexan scissors work great for me. I actually have very good surgical scissors and was surprised how much better the lexan scissors worked on RC bodies. I do the same for the tricky corners, err on the side of leaving excess material on and dremel off the excess after. I tried the scoring method. I don't know if my Exacto is just too worn down, but I found the scissors much easier.

I’ll probably do a combination of everything when I cut this next proline body lol. I like staying off the line a bit and finishing with sanding. I got a Dremel and plenty of sandpaper. Thanks everyone!

That video just blew my mind

How have I never seen this after 6 years in the hobby

Lexan scissors work great for me. I actually have very good surgical scissors and was surprised how much better the lexan scissors worked on RC bodies. I do the same for the tricky corners, err on the side of leaving excess material on and dremel off the excess after. I tried the scoring method. I don't know if my Exacto is just too worn down, but I found the scissors much easier.
Lexan scissors are designed a bit like aviation snips, lots of leverage from the pin being placed closer to the cutting part rather then the middle or closer to handles like normal scissors. Makes cutting easier.
Thanks man! I like that, cutting off line and sanding, and will try it on my next one here soon. Not sure about the snips though…which ones do you use?
I actually have a set of three I use for work. A straight, a right, and a left. Each is unique to a need and basically do what their names are. Straight for straight cuts, Rights for cutting rightward and left for leftward cuts. They are designed that way for same hand cutting rather than repositioning the material or your body. Mine are on a jobsite but this is what I use
Screenshot_20220324-080248_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220324-080136_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220324-080136_Samsung Internet.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I use tin snips as well. They’re used in cutting duct work sheet metal, I have a set of what are called: lefts, rights, and straights. But there expensive. But do a great job. If you know anyone who does HVAC Duct work ask if they have some u can try if you do a lot of thick lean bodies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back