Recommendations for secondary Arrma RC (AKA 'Help, my wife and kids want to race, too!')

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sphexish

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Typhon 3s
Having gotten a Typhon 3S V3 a few months ago (after a friend of mine dragged me into the hobby), and a number of light bashing sessions on grass & asfalt later, I'm considering getting a second RC so that my six-year-old son, ten-year-old daughter, and don't-ask-year-old wife can join in on the fun (read: 'will stop constantly stealing the transmitter from me 😑').

At this point, I've already gathered a reasonable amount of tools, oils, greases, spare parts, and (smart) 3S batteries -- as well as a decent charger -- so financially speaking I reckon the smartest choice would be to get another Arrma vehicle, particularly if it's one from the 3S BLX line.

I'm also half-tempted to just leave the Typhon mostly to them and get a bigger and badder 4S/6S rig for myself, but I'm not sure that would be very fun for everyone in the long run... The difference in performance with the 3S Typhon -- and the brushless 2WD Rustler my buddy uses -- would be pretty noticeable, I figure? Perhaps less so if it was 4S, but (as I understand it) those should be up for an upgrade in the near future, making the current 4S rigs hard to find and perhaps less of a wise investment.

In terms of another 3S rig, the most obvious choice in my mind was originally a V3 Granite. Lots of overlap with its buggy-styled sibling in terms of electronics and parts, but different enough in terms of looks and handling that I think it would still be a fun addition.

Although with the new Vorteks coming out I'm not so sure anymore, given that it appears to be slightly more advanced and sports some convenient-looking features like AVC and a battery level indicator on the DX3 transmitter that might justify the slightly higher asking price.

Anyway... Long story short, I was wondering if other people on this forum have already been faced with this particular dilemma and, if so, what y'all ending up choosing to do -- and why!

Thanks! 🤓

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for the senton 3s. I actually cannot believe how durable this thing is, and it is incredibly easy to work on. I bought one specifically with the intent of letting other people drive it on our outings, and it has been through hell and back and I've not had a single issue with it.

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for the senton 3s. I actually cannot believe how durable this thing is, and it is incredibly easy to work on. I bought one specifically with the intent of letting other people drive it on our outings, and it has been through hell and back and I've not had a single issue with it.

If you decide to get a vehicle specifically for the kiddos/misses, I fully support this. Plenty fast, on pretty much any terrain, super durable, and often rolls back to it's wheel.

the vorteks, big rock 3s, talion 6s.

If you are looking for another 3S car for yourself both the Vorteks and Big Rock are great options, depending on where/how you drive. I would avoid the 6S cars for now, since they are nowhere near comparable in size or power. I would even more recommend against the Talion specifically, as they have been indefinitely backordered to the point of being effectively "discontinued". Same with the 4S cars.

Mainly on flat grass and asfalt in local parks and parking lots. Occasionally some jumping on a small ramp.

The Vorteks is a great option for this, but be aware that with a ride height lower than the other 3S cars, it'll get hot fast in almost all grass. The Senton or another Typhon 3S would be most likely what I would go for, leaning slightly more towards the Senton.

I used to use my talion on that terrain and it was a beast
That is Talion turf for sure, but it being discontinued, and not nearly as fun for the person running 3S cars around the 6S cars, I'd still suggest against it. Maybe if it was in current production, or OP had other 6S cars already, but the point is to be running with the fam.

The Vorteks is a great option for this, but be aware that with a ride height lower than the other 3S cars, it'll get hot fast in almost all grass. The Senton or another Typhon 3S would be most likely what I would go for, leaning slightly more towards the Senton.
The vorteks ride height is higher than senton and comparable to typhon.

I’ll save you the trouble. Typhon 1.65”. Vorteks 1.57”. Senton 1.26”. From arrma-rc.com
I'd rather line up all 3 and check irl. Thanks tho! It still gets hot quick in medium length grass to due to chassis drag.

1st was the Senton mega. Second came the Typhon 6s. Then back to a Senton 3s. Plan to upgrade the mega to a 3s when next motor fails. All three of us bashing in backyard with one ramp. Tons of fun. Run em til they stop, cook batteries for next day, repeat.

Thanks for all the advice thus far! Can't believe I forgot all about the Senton! Will definitely take it into consideration.

Any reason why nobody is recommending the Granite? I was under the impression that it was generally considered a good and durable RC, but on second thought perhaps the handling wouldn't be ideal when compared to something like a Senton or Vorteks? Does it roll over a lot quicker, particularly with a novice driver at the wheel?

If so, I know exactly who'd end up having to constantly run out to flip it back onto its wheels, so that'd be a hard pass from good ol' dad. 🤨

Thanks for all the advice thus far! Can't believe I forgot all about the Senton! Will definitely take it into consideration.

Any reason why nobody is recommending the Granite? I was under the impression that it was generally considered a good and durable RC, but on second thought perhaps the handling wouldn't be ideal when compared to something a Senton or Vorteks? Does it roll over a lot quicker, particularly with a novice driver at the wheel?

If so, I know exactly who'd end up having to constantly run out to flip it back onto its wheels, so that'd be a hard pass from good ol' dad. 🤨
Nothing wrong with the granite at all! Imo it just wouldn't suit your driving areas. It is sort of a micro notorious/outcast, a stunt truck for sure. If I were to get one (always on the table lol) I'd swap out to long arm, 6S shocks, and Typhon 3S stubs/hubs to run 17mm wheels. Even though I'd love to have one, I'd still swap parts pretty much immediately 😂

Any reason why nobody is recommending the Granite? I was under the impression that it was generally considered a good and durable RC, but on second thought perhaps the handling wouldn't be ideal when compared to something like a Senton or Vorteks? Does it roll over a lot quicker, particularly with a novice driver at the wheel?

The Granite actually rolls back to its wheels pretty well. Fun truck. Durable. I agree that it sounds like a good fit for your needs.

For beginners, I recommend the Senton. Since it's kids that will be driving they will bump into things probably. The senton body protects the chassis and arms sooo much. It makes it really durable! A lot have people stated here and are leaning towards the Senton, like me.

Waiting to see what the new 4s line looks like. Other than that I would gift the typhoon 3s and pick up a notorious 6s rig for myself.

Check out the Bigrock, way less wheelie prone than the Granite and more ground clearance and bigger tires than the Vorteks.

Back