Kraton Recommended Arrma Kraton & Talion Upgrades 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much money do you guys generally spend on upgrades beyond the initial cost of the truck? I don't bash mine too hard but it's been pretty solid out of the box so far.
I plead the 5th lol

How much money do you guys generally spend on upgrades beyond the initial cost of the truck? I don't bash mine too hard but it's been pretty solid out of the box so far.

Including tires I’d say I have close to $300 in mine. Maybe $350.

I've got about $500 CAD ($325 US) in my Notorious, but that includes spare parts bought from JRC, including a Kraton chassis, rear dog bone and aluminum rear chassis brace for when I do the conversion.

I typically do not upgrade anything until I break something. My weakness is tires, and a set of wheels/tires for 1/8 scale trucks are like $80-100. I think I have 5 different sets, so that's $450 or so right there. I purchased my Kraton as a rolling chassis on Ebay with no electronics so I have aftermarket ESC and motor (quicrun 150A and Leppard 4092). But other than that, my truck is still stock for the most part.

The only modification that I would say are "required" is steering servo mount and wing mount, but Arrma has already fixed that in the newer models.

Drive it until you break it. The Kraton is a great machine out of the box. And if you don't break it.......you arent driving it hard enough.

Ok cool... that's what I keep telling myself. And then I go online and browse around to check out all the cool upgrades I can buy and have to stop myself from buying anything haha.

That's partly why I want to pick up the Tacon Soar... so I can buy into the brushless version which is fairly affordable up front and still upgrade it relatively inexpensively along the way and scratch that itch.

I'm probably going to wait to buy anything for my Kraton or Senton until stuff breaks like you said, and yeah tires are the one thing i'm really anticipating buying first but dang those can be really pricey for a set. I'm dreading ever having to glue tires and hoping I can find deals on pre-mounted stuff eventually. (I know it may be silly, but gluing tires, rebuilding shocks/oil, and rebuilding diffs/grease/oil are the three things i'm really nervous about)

My son's Granite 4x4 on the other hand... It's fairly sturdy but I feel like I should be buying upgrades for it to make it more durable than it is because he's already broken it 2nd or 3rd run (repaired) and eventually my daughter will be driving it and i'd like it to last as long as possible. Not even gonna bother with Lipo on it either, i'm sticking with a higher capacity nimh to try and keep it a little more tame as they learn to drive responsibly.

***do we have a deals thread on this forum somewhere? I know there is a classifieds section but is there something where people can post really good deals to let everyone know?

Last edited:
What is breaking on the Granite? I have one of those as well and I haven't broken a thing yet. And mine is stupidly overpowered. If he is hitting things head on pick up a T-bone bumper. They are guaranteed for life I believe, and they can really take a beating.

I understand the NIMH being "safe" but man, everything about Lipo is better. Longer run times, more torque, more speed, faster charge rates.......even high capacity NIMH packs are only going to get you 15 minutes of run time.

I wonder if the stock ESC is programmable? I'm sure someone here knows the answer to that. When my nephew is over I just plug my truck into the laptop real quick and change the max forward power to 50% and he does great. My 7400 mah 4s pack lasts almost an hour on half power.

Well we're getting about 15 minutes of straight hard runtime on the 2400 mah that it came with, so I picked up a 5000 mah hoping to double that? It won't be in for a week though. Also thought I read here that the 2s Lipo were burning out the electronics? So figured safer to stick with nimh. Trust me i'm a fan of Lipo so far in my own vehicles but i'm trying to keep the Granite as child proof as I can while they learn. If my son sticks with this i'll move him up to the 3s Granite when he's ready :D

A NIMH will be about double going from 2400 to 5000 mah.

I get it, I just cant imagine going back to NIMH. Plus a 5000 mah Nimh pack has to be still fairly expensive. $35-40?

Hi,

I just got a Kraton V3 and noticed that that the start of the thread was from a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if I heard this correctly, but Arrma fixed the issue with the wing mount and servo mount with the V3? What is a must have for the V3? Just the bumpers?

Hi,

I just got a Kraton V3 and noticed that that the start of the thread was from a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if I heard this correctly, but Arrma fixed the issue with the wing mount and servo mount with the V3? What is a must have for the V3? Just the bumpers?

Really just the front bumper. You really don't need the back unless you do alot of long wheelies, and if your running stock out of the box the center diff wont let you do wheelies anyway.

Really just the front bumper. You really don't need the back unless you do alot of long wheelies, and if your running stock out of the box the center diff wont let you do wheelies anyway.
Would changing the center diff oil make the Kraton pop wheelies? Would I want that? or would it become more of a nuisance?

Thanks!

Would changing the center diff oil make the Kraton pop wheelies? Would I want that? or would it become more of a nuisance?

Thanks!

Mine wheelied straight out of the box. I ended up putting 500k diff lube in the center. It still wheelies no problem. It's all about throttle control and punch settings.

Thanks!
I mean, if you don't like wheelies I guess that's ok............

Depends on what you want to so with the truck I suppose. I do nothing but wheelies and jumps. If I were taking it to a racetrack I'd have it set up very different.

It is a bash vehicle so I guess I assumed everyone was jumping and wheelieing.

Back