Granite recommended brushless upgrade for arrma granite 4x4 mega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seconded the RCBearings website. Got sets for both my Senton and Big Rock there. Just make sure you pick the rubber shielded option, not the metal. The set even came with the small 2.5 x 5 x 8 bearings from inside the diff case but I wouldn't bother replacing them, no need to be rubber shielded inside there and if you take it apart, the diff oil will just leak out.

Last edited:
cheers yeah i had a look, im not sure where any of those bearings go lol. Iv only been into the hobby a very short time and iv still got lots of learning to do. The only reason i want to do the motor and gear upgrades is because either the stock motor or stock esc have given up and currently the granite doesn't work. I decided to do brushless upgrade, but needed to do the spur, pinion and inputs upgrade from that.

Hallo, can i have question? I want upgrade my Granite Mega to brusheless too and i look on input gear what u post and it is 17T, but original is 13T. Why 17T and not 13T, don't have to change diff crown too? I found this in optional parts https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310886 Sorry, if is it stupid question, but im newbie too, it is my first RC car.
Thanks

Hmm so sorry, I look on it again and i found on my version (Green/black) 17T gear. Before i look on new version (Blue/black) and there is differential with 37T and 17T on 1.35M :)

On the shaft of the pinion gear is a 4mm threaded hole - you screw the set screw in there (use threadlocker). Noddy point, but the motor shaft has a flat side - make sure the set screw screws in and contacts the flat side otherwise the pinion will spin off. Youll also find there is a neater place to mount the max10sct than on top of the radio box. Remind me tomorrow and ill take a pic to show you - currently away.

Where in UK are you?
Can I ask why you recommend the 15 tooth pinion over the 17tooth? also I have just received the 57t slipper set ara310949 from wheelspin models. The 17t hd input gear is still out of stock until late December. Iv been out of action for ages now :(

Can I ask why you recommend the 15 tooth pinion over the 17tooth? also I have just received the 57t slipper set ara310949 from wheelspin models. The 17t hd input gear is still out of stock until late December. Iv been out of action for ages now :(
You can run on the old diff input, you'll just break it sooner or later - probs sooner!

I don't think i recommended 15t over 17t for the pinion - was just noting what came as stock. Broad statement (which someone will correct me on), but presuming the same motor, more pinion teeth = faster but hotter. This rule obviously falls flat on its face when the pinion size is so big that the motor is slowed down/cannot spin.

will there be much difference in speed between the 15t and 17t pinion with 57t spur. running hobbywing ezrun combo max10 sct 3660sl 3200kv. I would still like to know reasonably accurately how fast i can expect with these pinions set up. Thanks in advance guys

will there be much difference in speed between the 15t and 17t pinion with 57t spur. running hobbywing ezrun combo max10 sct 3660sl 3200kv. I would still like to know reasonably accurately how fast i can expect with these pinions set up. Thanks in advance guys

In a nutshell, yes in my experience though you lose a little acceleration and your motor will run warmer. I think with that HW motor anything above 17t resulted in too much heat for me. Speed depends on loads of factors (weight, grip, resistance, surface, temoerature etc etc), but ive got an 18t pinion in my typhon w/57t spur and will do a speed test on grass next w/e so can give you an approximation.

cool, that would be awesome, is the motor your running in your typhon comparable to the hobbywing one i am looking at?.

Im finally getting round to ordering the parts to upgrade the granite to brushless. Quick question. Im planning to order the Hobbywing ezrun max10sct 3660sl 3200kv. the motormount recommended earlier in this thread was this one.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=442773

It says in the mount description that this motor mount is to fit the 540 and 550 size motors which as i understand is the stock brushed size motor. Do i need a different motor mount for the 3660 size hobbywing motor? links appreciated. cheers guys

Hi all, so i finally got all the parts i need to make the granite brushless. However i am having some problems making the drive shaft fit onto the new slipper cluch assembly (ARA310949) this one
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/316...Y_7k6rZyn_RZ3-aAHZRWoVgCeBWrBdkMaAkKgEALw_wcB
The problem is the red slipper shaft is way too long for the drive shaft to squish and slip onto.
do I need to order this part https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-slipper-shaft-red-4x4-775-blx-3s-4s/rc-car-products/434604
to make it fit? Is this the correct size/width for the slipper clucth assembly.
also i have seen on youtube videos that a black sleeve/cap is fitted over the red shaft to keep it in place this part https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/307784/
Is the black cap piece necessary?
Sorry for all the questions again guys im still learning but i think im getting there. Huge thanks in advance for any advice :) (I know I should have just bought the blx granny or big rock) lol

Yes, you need the small red shaft. Even with the smaller shaft, the driveshaft is a very tight fit, I have been tempted to shave mine a few times...

That black part, yeah, I have it, it does not hold anything on. Both the red shaft and black collar are only held on by the spring in the driveshaft. If I pull the power module, they tend to fall out when I am not looking... :oops:

Yes, you need the small red shaft. Even with the smaller shaft, the driveshaft is a very tight fit, I have been tempted to shave mine a few times...

That black part, yeah, I have it, it does not hold anything on. Both the red shaft and black collar are only held on by the spring in the driveshaft. If I pull the power module, they tend to fall out when I am not looking... :oops:
cheers dude yep just ordered the small red slipper shaft, I picked up a wheelie bar as well while i was there :) I think they should supply the small red shaft with the 57t slipper set. if you need the red part then surely it should be part of the set.
In a nutshell, yes in my experience though you lose a little acceleration and your motor will run warmer. I think with that HW motor anything above 17t resulted in too much heat for me. Speed depends on loads of factors (weight, grip, resistance, surface, temoerature etc etc), but ive got an 18t pinion in my typhon w/57t spur and will do a speed test on grass next w/e so can give you an approximation.
did you get around to doing the speed test with the typhon? would be interested to hear what you got with a 18t pinion

Great news guys I have finally completed the Granite upgrade. I firstly would like to thank everyone on here who has advised and supported me during my learning process. I have come from being a complete noob with zero knowledge of RCs or how they work, to upgrading a granite to brushless.

I went with the Hobbywing EZrun Max10sct combo. Includes a 3660 3200kv motor and 120a ESC. I put in a 57t 0.8mod slipper set and put in a 15t pinion.
I fitted 2xHD metal diff inputs and also put in a drive shaft support. and also fitted the adjustable metal motor mount.

My son and I just took it out on our local green for a quick blast and oh my what an improvement over the stock brushed motor. I recon on pavement it must be hitting low 40s mph I recon and that was just on 2s. At some point i will download an app on the phone and see if i can get a half accurate reading on the speed, but wow its so much more fun now. The car when stock cost £235 and i recon i must of put in about £170 worth of upgrades. so for £400 odd quid i should have got the BLX Granny or the Big Rock. But one thing I am greatly appreciative for is the learning curve and knowledge gained thanks to you good people on here.

The shocks on the granny are a bit leaky so the next thing to upgrade i guess will be the shocks. Any recommendations for better shocks guys? Also im guessing at some point the steering servo is going to quit so the 25kg amazon ones @Grimbles suggested may be next. I have just fitted the wheelie bar so hopefully next run will be a bit easier and more fun. Any recommendations on 3s lipos? I was looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084SSN...colid=ZSCNQW7V60D8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
looks ok.

I don't mean to go on, but seriously guys you all have been so helpful to me, a complete beginner. I really appreciate all your advise and your wealth of knowledge.

Cheers guys :)

Great news guys I have finally completed the Granite upgrade. I firstly would like to thank everyone on here who has advised and supported me during my learning process. I have come from being a complete noob with zero knowledge of RCs or how they work, to upgrading a granite to brushless.

I went with the Hobbywing EZrun Max10sct combo. Includes a 3660 3200kv motor and 120a ESC. I put in a 57t 0.8mod slipper set and put in a 15t pinion.
I fitted 2xHD metal diff inputs and also put in a drive shaft support. and also fitted the adjustable metal motor mount.

My son and I just took it out on our local green for a quick blast and oh my what an improvement over the stock brushed motor. I recon on pavement it must be hitting low 40s mph I recon and that was just on 2s. At some point i will download an app on the phone and see if i can get a half accurate reading on the speed, but wow its so much more fun now. The car when stock cost £235 and i recon i must of put in about £170 worth of upgrades. so for £400 odd quid i should have got the BLX Granny or the Big Rock. But one thing I am greatly appreciative for is the learning curve and knowledge gained thanks to you good people on here.

The shocks on the granny are a bit leaky so the next thing to upgrade i guess will be the shocks. Any recommendations for better shocks guys? Also im guessing at some point the steering servo is going to quit so the 25kg amazon ones @Grimbles suggested may be next. I have just fitted the wheelie bar so hopefully next run will be a bit easier and more fun. Any recommendations on 3s lipos? I was looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084SSN...colid=ZSCNQW7V60D8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
looks ok.

I don't mean to go on, but seriously guys you all have been so helpful to me, a complete beginner. I really appreciate all your advise and your wealth of knowledge.

Cheers guys :)
Haha - I'd bet in the next few weeks from you we'll be hearing about your first 6s purchase ;)

Great work chap, it's a brilliant hobby. One problem though - photos please :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back