Typhon Recommended Typhon Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WranglerBob

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Anyone got any good upgrades for their Typhon they'd like to share? Got mine the other day and had a blast. Undecided on batteries. Bought a combo 2 3S batteries. Don't fit with the body on unfortunately which I was warned of but didn't listen well enough lol recommendations on batteries? Good 3S packs to run together or single 4 or 6's?

Also looking to eventually swap with outcast hubs, etc. Or is it Kraton? What other parts are semi universal? I installed RPM bumpers front and rear so I got some skid protection now finally so there's some relief.

I also upgraded to a Tactic radio. It's awesome. Not gonna lie. Eventually I want servo mount, savox servo unless I hear better ones out there. Bolt right in would be nice. Did see some having a truck body on there's. Looked sleek. Do Senton mounts drop right in?

Cheers!

If you drive it offroad: sealed bearings
Servo: PowerHD DW25LV
HotRacing pivot ball nuts
Alu servo mount or longer screws mod
Alu chassis braces
Single 6s: Hobbyking Graphenes 4000mAh

And lots to come below this reply 》》

Hey JvG
Can you explain why one should upgrade these item. Sorry I am new to all of this, like WranglerBob I just received my first rc typhon. I have not done any upgrades, only front bumper.

WranglerBob, what radio you switch to? I was thinking of the Flysky FS-GT5 6CH. Also, did you change any settings like brakes/punch setting (for me the brakes are weak).

Hey JvG
Can you explain why one should upgrade these item. Sorry I am new to all of this, like WranglerBob I just received my first rc typhon. I have not done any upgrades, only front bumper.

WranglerBob, what radio you switch to? I was thinking of the Flysky FS-GT5 6CH. Also, did you change any settings like brakes/punch setting (for me the brakes are weak).

I went with a Tactic tx300. Seems like a near common consensus on here I've seen. Brake settings I set to 100. Smacked into my own foot on first run because I too learned the brakes were weak on the stock setting. Punch I haven't touched yet. It's been a great vehicle. Swapped out the hubs, driveshafts and hexs to accommodate the outcast hubs and Badlands mx28s

I swapped the radio and electrics on my v1 Typhon, and left everything else stock. Broke nothing for about 2 years...

My typhon now is a Granite-sized SWB MT(search Siren conversion for threads). Sill mostly stock, other than the conversion.

As for the Senton body mounts, they wont work without Senton shock towers. You want the Kraton/ Outcast/Talion body mounts - they are easy to adapt to the typhon towers. Front tower needs a few holes drilled, but that is easy.

I went with a Tactic tx300. Seems like a near common consensus on here I've seen. Brake settings I set to 100. Smacked into my own foot on first run because I too learned the brakes were weak on the stock setting. Punch I haven't touched yet. It's been a great vehicle. Swapped out the hubs, driveshafts and hexs to accommodate the outcast hubs and Badlands mx28s

Wow you have done work on your typhon. That sounds like something I can add to the list.

Just a quick question. I change the breaking system to level 3. How do I use the break?
I floor it and then I put it in reverse to try to stop it but it still reacts the same.

Wow you have done work on your typhon. That sounds like something I can add to the list.

Just a quick question. I change the breaking system to level 3. How do I use the break?
I floor it and then I put it in reverse to try to stop it but it still reacts the same.
What radio are you using? Some radios have a brake ratio built in too

Well there are two radios for the V4, the Tactic or the STX2
I didn't realize they released the V4 with the Tactic. Are you sure? They would have had to have redone all the packaging again. First for the V4 and the new changes and then again when they switched to the STX2? ?‍♂️

Hey JvG

Hi, yes sure i can.
First let me say some upgrades most people agree on (like the STX2 radio) and some are personal.
I have a lot of other upgrades but the ones i mentioned, for me, really made a difference:

The stock bearings are not sealed and because i always drive in loose sand they exploded after 3 runs, destroying hubs and overheating the electronics.

The stock servo works in the Typhon (it broke quite fast in my Kraton) but when i upgraded the servo it really made a difference in handling. I had much more control over the car. Which, i think, is not a bad thing with these 6s landrockets.

The stock nuts came loose every run which affects steering and handling. The HR ones stay put.

The stock mount flexes too much for my liking which again affects steering and handling. Putting long screws in the mount solves the problem (cheap) or an alu motor mount (more expensive)

Alu chassis braces
The standard chassis with the plastic braces has, again, for my liking too much flex. If you take high jumps and hard landings the chassis bends quite easily.
The alu braces (i have HotRacing) help to stop this. Not for 100% but much better.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I didn't realize they released the V4 with the Tactic. Are you sure? They would have had to have redone all the packaging again. First for the V4 and the new changes and then again when they switched to the STX2? ?‍♂️
I don’t know this for certain, but there seemed to be a question which radio I was going to get with my V4 Typhon. It did come with the STX2 but at that time people asked if it still came with the Tactic. Maybe that was just because the switch to the STX2 was new.

I don’t know this for certain, but there seemed to be a question which radio I was going to get with my V4 Typhon. It did come with the STX2 but at that time people asked if it still came with the Tactic. Maybe that was just because the switch to the STX2 was new.
Probably. The V4's have always come with the STX2.

V4 Typhon. So far I have upgraded..

Servo- URUAV deluxe BLS2508, HV brushless, waterproof, metal geared. Big difference in speed and strength over the stock servo. Amazing bargain!

Radio- Flysky GT5, fantastic buy. Great gyro reciever included with AVC type stability control with tx adjustable steering priority as well as gain . Really pleased with it.

I've also disconnected the escs bec and power my receiver and servo directly off a 800mAh 2s lipo.
I get more speed and torque from the servo due to the higher voltage and amperage allowing the servo to operate a bit closer to its full potential... plus the esc runs a tad cooler due to its bec just ticking over.
I'd be able to save some weight and further improve the speed & torque if I went for a programable Castle 10A bec instead of the 2s Lipo..and outputing 8.4v instead .and thats next to do.

Change your centre diff oil to aprox 300k and stick 10k in the front diff for hefty instant performance boost from putting the power to ground far far better.... no more tyre balooning.

Once your 'meh' stock Katars are done..replace with some far better MX style tread tyres. They are far more versatile and work over a wide range of surfaces. They also don't rip half as easy as the Katars.

I found some damping improvement by standing my shocks upright (Outer holes in the towers) If you drive on smooth surfaces then you probably wont see as much difference.. if any. Still work to do in this area though, might try the techno dampers along with the 'gamechanger' 2 way digressive valved damper inserts.

Next to do on my list is...

Replace the bronze steering bushes with ball raced items to reduce the pretty bad steering slop.. and also some friction. The slop is really annoying me at the moment..

I'm also going to replace the front and rear stock steering blocks/hubs with the HR alu hubs to hopefully reduce the play in the wheels for better tracking.

The diff cups will also be uprated to the HR Alu jobbies to hopefully reduce the chance of a failure there.

Next up after that is a TP4260 or 70 (depending on what fits) sensored motor and a Hacker Tensoric 200A sensored Esc.

I don't really do a lot of jumping so the stock chassis braces and towers will do for now unless it becomes apparent that I really need to..

Last edited:
Rather than jump thru hoops to get the BEC up to snuff, you could just do a ESC swap. Either a MAX8 or a MMX would give you a stronger BEC and a lot of programming options.

The BLX185 esc is not bad, but swapping to a MMX was a better upgrade than I would have guessed...

Alu chassis braces
Single 6s: Hobbyking Graphenes 4000mAh

And lots to come below this reply 》》
WoodiE / @JvG - Looking to do some upgrades my 3s #Typhon. Already installed Eddys bearings and #ARRMA Typhone 6s shocks and now i ditch the stock servo and upgrade to a much better one! I want to make sure it fits before i pull the trigger? I have narrowed it down to the Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof High Torque STD Digital Servo W/FREE ALUMINUM HORN BL or is it necessary to go with this the - Mega Combo - Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof Servo + Glitch Buster + Aluminun Horn? What are your thoughts and concerns #ARRMA #Family?

Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof High Torque STD Digital Servo W/FREE ALUMINUM HORN

1587556207507.png

or 2. Mega Combo - Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof Servo + Glitch Buster + Aluminun Horn
1587556247958.png

Attachments

• 6s Typhon Shocks.jpeg
    6s Typhon Shocks.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 106
WoodiE / @JvG - Looking to do some upgrades my 3s #Typhon. Already installed Eddys bearings and #ARRMA Typhone 6s shocks and now i ditch the stock servo and upgrade to a much better one! I want to make sure it fits before i pull the trigger? I have narrowed it down to the Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof High Torque STD Digital Servo W/FREE ALUMINUM HORN BL or is it necessary to go with this the - Mega Combo - Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof Servo + Glitch Buster + Aluminun Horn? What are your thoughts and concerns #ARRMA #Family?
Seems like a good servo to me but i do not have experience with it. Looking at the specs i doubt a glitch buster is needed but it can't hurt to use one anyway.

Seems like a good servo to me but i do not have experience with it. Looking at the specs i doubt a glitch buster is needed but it can't hurt to use one anyway.
Thank for your speedy reply but I am going to go with the Savox SW-0230MG Waterproof HV Digital Servo W/FREE ALUMINUM HORN BL instead since I know a lot of people that run this in there 3s ARRMA rigs!
1587559735160.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back