Typhon Typhon 6s v5 broken front shock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonphelps

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I bought a Typhon v5 and one of the front shocks broke.

I’m looking at getting something to replace them. Can anyone direct me where to go and what to get that is a small upgrade to the stock shocks?

I’m a newbie so I don’t need anything crazy.

I’m still learning size and what fits on my Typhon.

Thsnks

I’m looking at getting something to replace them. Can anyone direct me where to go and what to get that is a small upgrade to the stock shocks?

Thsnks

Check JennysRC.com
The source for OEM parts for cheap. 😉

And, Welcome to the Ranch!

Thsnks
Hi Simon, I looked around Jenny's and eBay, which usually have less expensive stock replacements and there are none available at the moment.

The least expensive solution may be to rebuild the one you have if it's not too broken. The shoppable view with part numbers is on the Horizon Hobby website for your Typhon. You can then take the Arrma part number and get what you need from any shop that stocks the parts.

I would avoid aftermarket options for the shocks unless you are planning a true upgrade, and then it won't be cheap. A new pair of Arrmas can be had on Amazon for $68, all four shocks can be had in a cheap knockoff set for $30 but they will bend or break easily in a crash.

@PrerunninF150 @blaster27 @BudUMfan You guys don’t find the TLR shocks too plush for bashing? I might like them for track racing, but I actually removed them from one Typhon I have because I was beating the heck out of the chassis on rough terrain.

@PrerunninF150 @blaster27 @BudUMfan You guys don’t find the TLR shocks too plush for bashing? I might like them for track racing, but I actually removed them from one Typhon I have because I was beating the heck out of the chassis on rough terrain.
I came to the same conclusion but I think it's the springs that are too soft and what everyone actually likes are the tapered pistons and extra travel. On mine when I changed to mojave arms and kraton hubs I swapped to shortened fireteam springs. The higher spring rate keeps it on top of the chop and the tapered pistons keep the wheels controlled so it's not just bouncing all over.

I should’ve clarified. I’m running them on my TLR but I bash the crap out of it. I just actually sheered the shock nut off sending it almost full speed off a pile of diamond dust at the local high school and landed wonky. But I plan on trying the dirt track. A bolt and screw is my cheapest fix so far! Usually I don’t get off that easy on a 50 foot launch. The Typhon is pretty rugged and I always love a buggy. It’s nimble and responsive. Try driving a tricked out Mini B around a carpet track and if you can make a decent clean run? You’re ready for F1. lol. Enjoy that thing and I give you two months before you get another rig! 😂

Nothing a spring and oil change cant fix. You could also just buy the machined guides and x-rings from the tlr and retro fit the stock shocks.

I hope people see my response. Upon further review ARAC8971 is the piece that broke. See picture with broken piece and the replacement part I got. Unfortunately there is a small metal ball like washer that goes in the middle of this plastic hole and I don't have it. I also can't seem to find this part number (The Metal Ball washer) on the expandable diagram. Can this washer not be purchased? Finally the replacement part is shaped slightly different than the stock part even though I have the right number and everything.

tempImageWaswUZ.png

nvm I found it. Unless I am missing something it looks like this isn't a part number and is called a pivot ball. Thanks all

Last edited:
This is the part you need not a pivot ball. Shock Lower Ball, Steel (4) ARA330814
Thank you that’s a huge help! It looks like I’m missing one at the top and bottom of the shock. Are both of those “lower steel balls”? Or might there be an “upper shock steel ball”?

Back