Kraton Reliable ESC 6s EXB.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Licko77

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
This has been covered, but I think my question is slightly different to many. I built up a Kraton EXB using stock Spektrum esc/motor. The ESC died, so I stuck in a cheap Surpass Rocket RC esc which has (unsurprisingly) also crapped out. I’ve never felt the need for more power or speed, just something that runs cool and will last a bit longer.

I know a lot swear by the max6 with a 4985 motor, but for me, that’s probably overkill (and expensive here in the UK). Would the Max8 combined with the standard Spektrum 2050Kv be a decent choice, or should I pick up a Spektrum 150a from the ebay breakers?

I agree: for many the Max6 is overkill. I personally would pick up a Max8 G2 over any Spektrum ESC. By using a Max8 G2, you have an upgrade path to a sensored motor if you decide to do that later.

Another choice would be to upgrade to a Spektrum 160A ESC from a RC parts breaker. Since you won't be using a 160A to its capacity, the 160A might run cooler than the 150A.

What's the budget? The Firma 160 does offer up to 8.4v BEC whereas the Max 6 only offers 7.4v. Depends on what's available in your region I suppose. I like the Max 6, no experience with the Firma 160 but, between cost (new) and the Firma having a bad reputation overall, I'd go Max 6. If the budget allows, perhaps a Castle would fill the bill? For a budget esc, I'd recommend a 08BL150 from HW. Also available in several flavors from many rtr's, Redcat, Hobao.. my Redcat Kaiju esc is 3 years old and just refuses to quit.

As a Castle MMX8S fanboy I'd say get that budget allowing. IMHO in RC there's no such thing as overkill...LOL. Pack in as much power as the car can stand even if you don't use it all cause it gives you more wiggle room to experiment with gearing, punch settings, etc. and not have to worry about heat issues as much.
But if budget is the issue I'd take a look at throwing a Team Corally 6S ESC (probably a Hobbywing rebrand) from a kit breaker if you can find one. They're not expensive and seem to pack a lot of juice for a "stock" system...even better than the Arrma or Spektrum stock offerings for 6S. Team Corally electronics are faster than Arrma out the box and they hold up well. Plenty of guys in my area run Arrmas with Corally electronics (ESC and motor) in them for this reason. Corally cars in general are kinda soft and not as durable as Arrma from what I've seen but those electronics are top notch.

I agree: for many the Max6 is overkill. I personally would pick up a Max8 G2 over any Spektrum ESC. By using a Max8 G2, you have an upgrade path to a sensored motor if you decide to do that later.

Another choice would be to upgrade to a Spektrum 160A ESC from a RC parts breaker. Since you won't be using a 160A to its capacity, the 160A might run cooler than the 150A.
+1
The New $Max 8 G2$, (sensored)
or just a Firma 160 amp (8s ESC) for less money from a kit breaker. And run the stocker motor on 6s. Offering Plenty of amp overhead. Watch motor temps. Good Motor fans are always a given no matter what you do. Especially with a 2050kv motor. Have a temp gun in hand to evaluate. The best way. To keep your motor and ESC below 150-160F.

As a Castle MMX8S fanboy I'd say get that budget allowing. IMHO in RC there's no such thing as overkill...LOL. Pack in as much power as the car can stand even if you don't use it all cause it gives you more wiggle room to experiment with gearing, punch settings, etc. and not have to worry about heat issues as much.
But if budget is the issue I'd take a look at throwing a Team Corally 6S ESC (probably a Hobbywing rebrand) from a kit breaker if you can find one. They're not expensive and seem to pack a lot of juice for a "stock" system...even better than the Arrma or Spektrum stock offerings for 6S. Team Corally electronics are faster than Arrma out the box and they hold up well. Plenty of guys in my area run Arrmas with Corally electronics (ESC and motor) in them for this reason. Corally cars in general are kinda soft and not as durable as Arrma from what I've seen but those electronics are top notch.
Forgot about the Torox esc.. I shouldn't have since I have 2 TC combos in my stable. They do pack a nice punch for sure, for some strange reason, the only esc I've thermalled more than once was the Torox.. I geared down accordingly and have had no issues since, but they seem to be "clocked" to the max, if that makes sense.
Perhaps one day I'll pony up for the Castle..see what all the fuss is about.😉 They need to up their game with a WP switch though. Well..push button at least.. they still use the slide switches right?🤔🤣🤣

I would probably go with another stock Firma 150 and set the stock timing to 0 degrees. That's just me though since I have one.

I see you are in the upgrade path though, Max6 is undoubtedly your most reliable option, that or the Firma 160 (which basically is a Max6). The Team Corally Torox 185 is also an excellent ESC, it is basically an Max8 on steroids.

Last edited:
I would probably go with another stock Firma 150 and set the stock timing to 0 degrees. That's just me though since I have one.

I see you are in the upgrade path though, Max6 is undoubtedly your most reliable path, that or the Firma 160 (which basically is a Max6). The Torox 185 is also an excellent ESC, it is basically an Max8 on steroids.
Good point, I have heard the timing is too aggressive out of the box now that you mention..👍

You don't need much timing if any . I go to Zero out the gate. All of my ESC's with timing. The Firma's have too high a timing by default. Almost like HH wants us to fry our motors ans ESC's. Advanced Timing just creates more heat and not necessarily more RPM's at some point.

You don't need much timing if any . I go to Zero out the gate. All of my ESC's with timing. The Firma's have too high a timing by default. Almost like HH wants us to fry our motors ans ESC's. Advanced Timing just creates more heat and not necessarily more RPM's at some point.
Well, I guess I'm too low tech, LOL. I really don't even know if any of mines have adjustable timing🤷‍♂️ I go max BEC voltage (if available) , brake adjustments.. oh, and occasionally LVC to "off" when I'm really adventurous and wanna run 5s..🤪😜🍻

Thanks everyone. For some reason, the Spektrum 160a is really expensive in the UK, much more than the Max6. I’ve found a Corally max8 rebrand job for a decent price, so I’ll give that a shot. If I fry that, I’ll be back for some’I told you….’

Thanks everyone. For some reason, the Spektrum 160a is really expensive in the UK, much more than the Max6. I’ve found a Corally max8 rebrand job for a decent price, so I’ll give that a shot. If I fry that, I’ll be back for some’I told you….’
Good luck bro!! If she runs hot, drop the gearing a bit and/or buy a better fan for the esc.🍻

I would go MMX6s or MM2 over the Max8 but that is just me. Idk how the new Max8 G2 is but I know the MMX6s and MM2 are more capable than the Max8. I have all 3 but have one ever compared the Max8 and the MM2 in the same vehicle.

quicrun 150a esc have three of them for a few years all still going strong only 6v though

quicrun 150a esc have three of them for a few years all still going strong only 6v though
The 8BL150 is probably the best budget esc for sure. While it might not have the best features it gets the job done which is one of the reasons why almost every 6s rtr comes with either a 8BL150 or a rebranded 8BL150. The BLX185 and the Spektrum Firma 150a are both modded 8BL150 escs BTW.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back