Notorious Repairing Arrma servo! ADS-15M

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yas

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Notorious
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Typhon 3s
I've been running a 15kg stock 6s Arrma servo (pulled from a Notorious) in my 3s Typhon. It's seen around 20 packs in all but it has just packed up

Steers to the right perfectly, but jitters and stutters slowly back to centre and is the same story when turning left. This happened after a small, even jump off a backyard ramp on to short dry grass about 15 mins into a run on 2s

Pulled it apart and carefully checked all teeth and bearings and they are in great shape. Servo lead/plug is fine and even the motor spins as freely as it should. It's not the servo saver or anything jammed as I've already fitted another servo in the Typhon which works fine

Does anyone know what the issue is? Is it likely to be the circuitry? I'd like to repair it if I can!

PS, yes, I have always set my end points ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_202021.jpg
    IMG_20200331_202021.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 210
If it’s good turning right then the motors gotta be good. I guess it’d be the circuits if all the gears checked out ok.

Probs a dirty or damaged pot..
See..

Last edited:
Nothing ventured nothing gained.. You have nothing to lose by trying to clean it up. If it doesn't work at least you learned a bit more about servo innards.

Yep, I've been able to repair only 1 of 5 defect ADS servo. There was always something wrong (like Yas said, turn only on 1 side)

Attachments

• IMG_1513.JPG
    IMG_1513.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 87
At $20 I consider cheap servos disposable. I would never spend this amount of time diagnosing a $20 part. But that’s just me.
You're right it's worth upgrading anyway. Although I'd still like to know how it went wrong and repair if possible so it can go in another RC. Would have liked it to be a clean up job like suggested which would have been an easy win, but I don't think it is... so guys from the video do you think it is salvageable?

Sometimes the gears are good, motor is good but the potentiometer went south and struggles to return to center. Sometimes the gears pins get unseated and the gears go out of alignment also. Happens from impacts. Try rebuilding it back as it was and see if she works. I have had freak luck by doing this. It buys a little more time... Your potentiometer probably failed. I bet.
BUT, this servo is truly cheap as they come. Replace it. Sometimes you get lucky and they last. (rare). Most of the ADS15's crap out. I had one that still works (but sucks as servos go, lame and weak). I had one that bricked within 5 min new, a RTR Kraton 6S out the box. Arrma will warranty it, but its not worth it. IMO . Get a real digital servo, 35kg, and don't look back. You will see the big difference and wonder why Arrma even put in that crappy anologue15KG servo to begin with.:cool:

Sometimes the gears are good, motor is good but the potentiometer went south and struggles to return to center. Sometimes the gears pins get unseated and the gears go out of alignment also. Happens from impacts. Try rebuilding it back as it was and see if she works. I have had freak luck by doing this. It buys a little more time... Your potentiometer probably failed. I bet.
BUT, this servo is truly cheap as they come. Replace it. Sometimes you get lucky and they last. (rare). Most of the ADS15's crap out. I had one that still works (but sucks as servos go, lame and weak). I had one that bricked within 5 min new, a RTR Kraton 6S out the box. Arrma will warranty it, but its not worth it. IMO . Get a real digital servo, 35kg, and don't look back. You will see the big difference and wonder why Arrma even put in that crappy anologue15KG servo to begin with.:cool:
First time I've heard of a potentiometer and I already know that's gotta be the problem ? not going to faff with circuitry so it's a dead end

A JX BLS 30kg brushless HV that I had in the parts bin has gone in instead ?⚡? overkill but it's the only working spare at hand. And a Savox 1210SG in the Notorious ??

I truly believe that you can't really go overkill when it comes to servos.
Please don't start me with that Savox 1210. Yes they are strong, but I got 2 bad ones out the box new with one order. Savox warranty dropped the ball too. SOL. Lost $165.00. Shame on me once, never again. I have a Sav. 1230sg that is mint and even faster than the 1210. But I wont buy another Savox again. A bad taste just one time is enough for me. There are many other less expensive and dependable options out there for sure. But many love Savox. I get it. I'll pass. You probably heard me say this many times before.:LOL:

I truly believe that you can't really go overkill when it comes to servos.
Please don't start me with that Savox 1210. Yes they are strong, but I got 2 bad ones out the box new with one order. Savox warranty dropped the ball too. SOL. Lost $165.00. Shame on me once, never again. I have a Sav. 1230sg that is mint and even faster than the 1210. But I wont buy another Savox again. A bad taste just one time is enough for me. There are many other less expensive and dependable options out there for sure. But many love Savox. I get it. I'll pass. You probably heard me say this many times before.:LOL:
I don't blame you that is a nightmare! They should have at least asked for the faulty ones back considering the cost. Mine has gone through around 40 packs so far ?

First time I've heard of a potentiometer and I already know that's gotta be the problem ? not going to faff with circuitry so it's a dead end

A JX BLS 30kg brushless HV that I had in the parts bin has gone in instead ?⚡? overkill but it's the only working spare at hand. And a Savox 1210SG in the Notorious ??
Potentiometer is in all centering/ fixed position type servos. It tells the motor where to stop at the pre-set position. They fail. Usually one direction fails, L or R. That's a sign. When they buzz and whine, that's a sign that it is going out soon if not bricked. Almost sounds like the servo is binding up.
That's how my 2 Savox 1210's sounded out the gate when new. Savox took them back and reshipped them back 3 weeks and did nothing. Crappy QC. Both the same issue. Crappy batch of potentiometers. I've rebuilt about 50 servos over the years. Futabs, Sanwas etc. I waterproof them etc when new, regardless whether they say WP or not. I add a drop of more grease as needed etc. Seal the case edges. wiring etc. I even findd some ungreased servos new out the box. I have a bin of old Futabas when I was a Futaba fan boy. I can probably build a few between all the parts I have. I save them for building Crawler winches now. Basically you remove the Potentiometer and board and wire the motor direct to the Controller and RX. Mount a spool for cable etc. So its good to save servos.

Last edited:
Potentiometer is in all centering/ fixed position type servos. It tells the motor where to stop at the pre-set position. They fail. Usually one direction fails, L or R. That's a sign. When they buzz and whine, that's a sign that is going. Almost sounds like the servo is binding up.
That's how my 2 Savox 1210's sounded out the gate when new. Savox took them back and reshipped them back 3 weeks and did nothing. Crappy QC. Both the same issue. Crappy batch of potentiometers. I've rebuilt about 50 servos over the years. Futabs, Sanwas etc. I waterproof them etc when new, regardless whether they say WP or not. I add a drop of more grease as needed etc. Seal the case edges. wiring etc. I even findd some ungreased servos new out the box.
Incredible... goes to show how QCs can be pied off yet it'll be at the consumer's expense down the line... glad there's people on here with plenty of experience and great advice. Thanks mate. I'll be checking all new servos I get from now on ?

Incredible... goes to show how QCs can be pied off yet it'll be at the consumer's expense down the line... glad there's people on here with plenty of experience and great advice. Thanks mate. I'll be checking all new servos I get from now on ?
Get yourself an inexpensive Servo Tester. They are worth their weight in gold. Like $10-15... They can test ESC's too. Checks servo speed, centering; good for when you install a servo and want it perfectly centered to put your arm in place, without a Radio connected. Good to test any new servo out the box.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076GMZW73?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 <I have this one.
You just need a 6v power supply. Like a Nimpack or similar with a Rx female plug.

Last edited:
I've been running a 15kg stock 6s Arrma servo (pulled from a Notorious) in my 3s Typhon. It's seen around 20 packs in all but it has just packed up

Steers to the right perfectly, but jitters and stutters slowly back to centre and is the same story when turning left. This happened after a small, even jump off a backyard ramp on to short dry grass about 15 mins into a run on 2s

Pulled it apart and carefully checked all teeth and bearings and they are in great shape. Servo lead/plug is fine and even the motor spins as freely as it should. It's not the servo saver or anything jammed as I've already fitted another servo in the Typhon which works fine

Does anyone know what the issue is? Is it likely to be the circuitry? I'd like to repair it if I can!

PS, yes, I have always set my end points ?
How do the gears go back in the box? I cant seem to getbit to fit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back