Kraton Arrma Kraton 6s servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

short course basher

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to upgrade my cheap 35kg servo in my Kraton and was wondering if I could run the Reefs 422hd v2 winch servo in it as a friend is getting rid of a new one for $70. It seems to have better specs than the regular 422hd v2 servo, so I'm wondering if it would be work in the Kraton or a traxxas maxx.

Reefs 422hd v2 https://www.amazon.com/REEFS-RC-422...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840
Reefs 422hd v2 servo winch https://www.amazon.com/Reefs-RC-REEFS43-422HDv2-Controller/dp/B07ZDHMT9H#customerReviews

It would work, but I wouldn’t do it. First link is not particularly fast or strong, but it’s a good price. Second is a little better. But I’d stick with a 180° servo (some of which are actually only a little higher than 120°) because if a winch servo glitches or loses the programming or endpoints it can burn up in short order, and possibly break steering components depending on the strength of the servo.
I’ve known of several people running them with no issues, though. I guess I’m just more of a “nervous Nelly.”

It would work, but I wouldn’t do it. First link is not particularly fast or strong, but it’s a good price. Second is a little better. But I’d stick with a 180° servo (some of which are actually only a little higher than 120°) because if a winch servo glitches or loses the programming or endpoints it can burn up in short order, and possibly break steering components depending on the strength of the servo.
I’ve known of several people running them with no issues, though. I guess I’m just more of a “nervous Nelly.”
How is a winch servo different?

If that 35kg servo ain’t cutting the mustard, I’d check your servo saver first. Could need adjustment or a new one.

Personally I haven’t had any issues with a 25kg servo in my 4s kraton. But I’m a little more conservative with my bashing as I tend to not send my trucks to the moon 🤣

If that 35kg servo ain’t cutting the mustard, I’d check your servo saver first. Could need adjustment or a new one.

Personally I haven’t had any issues with a 25kg servo in my 4s kraton. But I’m a little more conservative with my bashing as I tend to not send my trucks to the moon 🤣
Right now the 35kg servo is doing ok. I had to put the hot racing servo saver in it and tighten that down, so I'm just looking for a replacement when the cheapo servo goes out.

Right now the 35kg servo is doing ok. I had to put the hot racing servo saver in it and tighten that down, so I'm just looking for a replacement when the cheapo servo goes out.
Cool. It’s funny though, nobody in this forum ever asks for a servo recommendation. I’ll be subbing this thread for sure!

Cool. It’s funny though, nobody in this forum ever asks for a servo recommendation. I’ll be subbing this thread for sure!
You might find one or two..

1107520.gif

How is a winch servo different?
Scale Winch specific servos must rotate a full 360 degrees continuously in either direction . And are generally not all that powerful. The gear trains are not as robust, etc. They don't need to be for 1/10 Crawler Platform Winching.
By the time you properly set up any servo's Steering Endpoints (EPA), you only use aprox. 60 degrees of Servo 's rotation angle, left or right. A 120 or 180 degree servo will suit fine for surface steering applications. I run both. No difference performance wise.

I still swear by my DS3235 35 kg servos. All 10 of them over 5+ years. None have failed. When they do, I got my moneys worth and will replace with same again.
I only received one that was DOA out the Box, and the seller/AMZ made good on it and done quickly. There are other good inexpensive servos out there as well. I found these to be great for me, and I stick with them. Just me. We all have our favorites.
Bad ones happen. Like 2 of my new Savox 1210's out the box (@$160.)
You can keep your Savox Servos. Savox Customer service was horrible.

Last edited:
I kno alot of members here will recommend specific servos and some will recommend the Amazon cheap specials. I myself have had great success with Amazon servos, I've found a few brushless servos on Amazon that have been really good. They were closer to 50-60 dollars, but for the specs(I kno they arent completely accurate)you can't beat them.

The one Amazon servo I really like right now is this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099388J92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this servo from AliExpress, and after I purchased it they increased the price there to $121 USD. The GXservo's seem to have a pretty good reputation, I think this one is brand new because there's not much information about it. There are cheaper servo's with more power, but going by the claimed specs this one appears to be quite fast and I like the IP68 rating and that it has all metal gears with 6 ball bearings. We'll see how it does once it arrives.

I bought this servo from AliExpress, and after I purchased it they increased the price there to $121 USD. The GXservo's seem to have a pretty good reputation, I think this one is brand new because there's not much information about it. There are cheaper servo's with more power, but going by the claimed specs this one appears to be quite fast and I like the IP68 rating and that it has all metal gears with 6 ball bearings. We'll see how it does once it arrives.
I'd be willing to wager it's a rebranded AGFRC, the pinnacle of Servos and you gotta pay to play.

For most burn a bowl and just grab the transmitter bashers, a budget servo is plenty adequate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back