RPM Typhon 3S arms warped on first use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
Was quite surprised to see my brand new RPM arm warped like this on the very first use. I was doing some speed run prep trying to dial in my steering. Not even jumping or anything. This was the result...

I have emailed RPM to see what can be done. I hope this would be covered. ??‍♂️

Was quite surprised to see my brand new RPM arm warped like this on the very first use. I was doing some speed run prep trying to dial in my steering. Not even jumping or anything. This was the result...

View attachment 43874

I have emailed RPM to see what can be done. I hope this would be covered. ??‍♂️
The ones on my granite and brcc look like that. I just don't care.

I ended up warping a second one today. I was jumping about 10-15’ off my ramp onto dirt. Not really Duperbash style, more like what BicketyBam style minus the trees. This time one of the fronts is warped similar to the rear above. Kind of pissed to be honest.

Well... rpm can be good or bad.. year sure the arm flexes more but hey its not going to stop the break point from the arm pins if the crash is too hard. I broke an rpm arm in my rustler 4x4 the first run and yes i was pissed af too. Stock arms are fine in arrma vehcules i heard the 4s line had bad ones but apparently the new arms were revised and are more soft and take more abuse than before.

Here is the response from RPM via email:

“The "warp" is most likely from improper storage with spring compression pushing down on the arm for a long period of time. Best cure is to remove the arm and place in boiling or very hot water for a short time and carefully remove. Then straighten it back to normal and place under cool water to reset its memory. The very hot even boiling water will not hurt our material, however never use an open flame to heat the arm, it will make it brittle. No problem, glad to help.”

“The "warp" is most likely from improper storage with spring compression pushing down on the arm for a long period of time. Best cure is to remove the arm and place in boiling or very hot water for a short time and carefully remove. Then straighten it back to normal and place under cool water to reset its memory. The very hot even boiling water will not hurt our material, however never use an open flame to heat the arm, it will make it brittle. No problem, glad to help.”
So they said:
Fix your own problem, glad to help.

-Liberty

That's a load of crap. Improper storage? Please ?

Add RPM to the list of companies I won’t be spending money with again.

Add RPM to the list of companies I won’t be spending money with again.
Go put the stock ones that are made out of glass back on. They won't warp on you!

Go put the stock ones that are made out of glass back on. They won't warp on you!
Wouldn’t even be a big deal to boil some water but my kitchen is indisposed at the moment. New flooring going in tomorrow, I hope.

Yeah that's not right at all, thumbs down rpm. He was correct in what he was talking about (if it was the case), storing vehicles with rpm arms make them sag and they look exactly like that. Just tell him the truth and that they were fresh out of the box and on your first run they ended up looking like that. If they still don't warrenty it, then don't buy their arms... they're not granting warranties. Many new hobbyists who haven't had their vehicles sitting for a year don't know to leave your rpm a armed cars sitting without having the wheels on the ground, so I just wanted to clarify why mr rpm representative said what he said.

Hmmmm I might check mine tonight just out of interest.

@jondilly1974 that is s super impressive deformation you have managed to achieve there. Very disappointing response from RPM to be sure. I'm sure not just replacing yours on spec was a way better idea than to tell you it was your fault and have you tell 10,000 arrma forum members who now have a question mark over that brands parts.....NOT

With RPM, been there, done that. Someone once told me that plastics shouldn't be warrantied for rc use. 9 times out of 10, it's user error and impossible for the 1 out of 10 to prove it isn't. I know that @jondilly1974 is telling the truth, but there's no way to prove it to RPM. We are all quickly learning that the aftermarket manufacturers of plastic rc parts, will always have the upper hand when accepting or denying a warranty claim. At some point you will likely have to buy something from one of them, because most times they are still the best option. Sorry that this time the deck was stacked against you @jondilly1974, but when it comes to a arms, other than stock, there's really no other choice. @bicketybam is right about the stock ones. The way we bash, they won't last very long. I'd like to believe that the problem you had with that one arm is an anomaly, and wouldn't likely happen again. Maybe boiling it to straighten it out isn't a really bad option. When it's broke, it's broke. When it's bent, there might still be a chance for life left in it.

With RPM, been there, done that. Someone once told me that plastics shouldn't be warrantied for rc use. 9 times out of 10, it's user error and impossible for the 1 out of 10 to prove it isn't. I know that @jondilly1974 is telling the truth, but there's no way to prove it to RPM. We are all quickly learning that the aftermarket manufacturers of plastic rc parts, will always have the upper hand when accepting or denying a warranty claim. At some point you will likely have to buy something from one of them, because most times they are still the best option. Sorry that this time the deck was stacked against you @jondilly1974, but when it comes to a arms, other than stock, there's really no other choice. @bicketybam is right about the stock ones. The way we bash, they won't last very long. I'd like to believe that the problem you had with that one arm is an anomaly, and wouldn't likely happen again. Maybe boiling it to straighten it out isn't a really bad option. When it's broke, it's broke. When it's bent, there might still be a chance for life left in it.
I had two arms warped from the same set ??‍♂️

Now the second one WAS after a hard bash, but the first one warped before I could even run it the first time. I simply installed it and noticed it before I ran it the next day.

I now know that I have to store my rigs upside down to conform to RPM warranties.

I had two arms warped from the same set ??‍♂️

Now the second one WAS after a hard bash, but the first one warped before I could even run it the first time. I simply installed it and noticed it before I ran it the next day.

I now know that I have to store my rigs upside down to conform to RPM warranties.
How hot is it where you are? We all know RPM are made with a more pliable plastic. Maybe better to run stock arms in the summer and use RPM when it cools down. I've noticed my stock front arms are going strong this summer, but they snapped like twigs from November to April. Harder plastic in the spring/summer and softer in the fall/winter. Either way, it sucks to deal with it right now when you should just be worried about bashing. I'd go back to RPM one more time and push the case. You'll have to cover the costs to ship them back and the cost for new ones to be shipped back though. Not even sure if the math works in your favor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back