SenTom's Axial SCX24

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenTom

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
Mostly text now, pictures will follow..

What started as a standard blue Ford Bronco SCX24 last january is slowly getting some updates...

Already fitted:
Injora high clearance links
Injora bead lock wheels, Still looking for some softer rubber, ar they are pretty hard. At least less supple than the stock ones.
Injora oil filled shocks
Flysky receiver to accept a other motor/ESC combo.

Last weekend I've fitted the SPMXSEMC18 Spektrum Firma 8A Sensored Brushless Smart ESC / Motor Combo, but that lasted one day in the car...
Bad modulation, cogging in low speed. Not fun to drive at all.. Had seen some videos of this set with good results, but some reviews in the internet show something else.
So bit the bullet and gave Furitek order to ship the Liko Pro Plus brushless combo to my house.

So when that arrives we have some modification to do which I hope to show with pictures in this thread.

In the mean time I keep filling my Ali Express shopping basket with some injora stuff, but first some more fun when the Furitek is installed.

Sounds like an awesome truck!

Have you ran or looked into the injora steering links? I've got a deadbolt and am trying to find a good solid steering link that doesn't have that up/down flop the stock link has.

Looking forward to the pics/build. Mine is 1 of the funnest rc I have 😁

Pictures with the high clearance links, bead locks and shocks.

IMG-20230501-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20230501-WA0019.jpeg

The orginal brushed and new spektrum brushless thingy with esc.

Most receivers are larger than the spektrum combo :ROFLMAO:

IMG-20230723-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20230722-WA0002.jpeg

First things first... Last Friday the Furitek system was delivered by the mail man. Still have to get used to how small 24 scale parts are.

The set consists of the ESC with bluetooth, 1400kV Komodo outrunner and the dedicated motor mount.
IMG_20230731_202406.jpg

All the parts laid out.
From left to right:
ESC, in a casing
Motor
Cover for gearbox
Motor mount with axial bits already in place

IMG_20230728_222301.jpg

Comparison between stock and it's replacement

IMG_20230728_222311.jpg

After some remounting of the pinion all is well and running smoothly.

Axles back in place and ready for installation...
Installation required some cutting of the old ESC-receiver mounting plate, but with some lexan scissors that was easy. No picture of that though...

IMG_20230728_224441.jpg

IMG_20230728_224453.jpg

And that leaves us to the picture from Friday.
I did mount the ESC with some double sided tape. It fits just between the motor and front shock mount.
Receiver, which will be replaced with a smaller one now lays in front of the shock mount.

After this the conclusion is we need more brass, but that is for after our holiday.

Last edited:
I was checking this steering link setup out. It mounts like the real deal out at the spindle. I'd be willing to bet it would have significantly less slop as it wouldn't be trying to pull directly up and down on the lower link.
Just a thought, I'm going to order one and I can let you know how I like it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3548703603...sfmSHOfRhK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

View attachment 314603

I have had really good results with my Injora upgrades.

@SenTom and @Doom! Just wanted to report back on the Injora parts after I got them installed. I absolutely love the steering link setup! There is Zero play in the steering now and it looks bad @ss on top of it! I think I should of gone with the 58mm tires cause these 62 look a little big but the added axle/ground clearance is awesome. Just the wheels/tires is blowing my mind how much more this thing will climb over. Its like its glued down🤣
Had to trim the wheel wells a little bit for clearance.

Watcha all think the next upgrade should be?

20230821_183209.jpg

20230821_183102.jpg

Started with the new tires. A bit larger in diameter than the old ones, so some more modification might be needed. They feel more supple. No picture of that one yet..

after that, worked my way from back to front. Wheel weights were the first to be replaced. The difference is quite obvious.
wheel weights difference.jpg
wheel weights.jpg

Then the front.. some more fiddly work to do there. New knuckels, which are oriented. Too bad I only saw that after installing them both on the wrong position.
Sorted that and installed the new brass diff covers and steering link.
Diff and steering links.jpg

diff cover.jpg

knuckels.jpg

steering links.jpg

Steering.jpg

Then put the new receiver on the car. It fits snug between the rear shock-support, with the wires from the servo and ESC below the battery tray. Fixes is with a tie-wrap
Had to use lead extensions to make it from and to the ESC/servo/RX.
Radio wire fits through the body post support (not in use on the Bronco), so that is not flopping around!
RX location.jpg

But what a PITA are these small screws... cant hardly pick these up, allen wrench is hardly any better to handle.. Any tips for good allen keys? all I can find go now below 1,5mm in most RC webshops, but I think I need a 1mm version?

Started with the new tires. A bit larger in diameter than the old ones, so some more modification might be needed. They feel more supple. No picture of that one yet..

after that, worked my way from back to front. Wheel weights were the first to be replaced. The difference is quite obvious.
View attachment 320047View attachment 320048

Then the front.. some more fiddly work to do there. New knuckels, which are oriented. Too bad I only saw that after installing them both on the wrong position.
Sorted that and installed the new brass diff covers and steering link.
View attachment 320049
View attachment 320050
View attachment 320051
View attachment 320052
View attachment 320053

Then put the new receiver on the car. It fits snug between the rear shock-support, with the wires from the servo and ESC below the battery tray. Fixes is with a tie-wrap
Had to use lead extensions to make it from and to the ESC/servo/RX.
Radio wire fits through the body post support (not in use on the Bronco), so that is not flopping around!
View attachment 320054

But what a PITA are these small screws... cant hardly pick these up, allen wrench is hardly any better to handle.. Any tips for good allen keys? all I can find go now below 1,5mm in most RC webshops, but I think I need a 1mm version?
With those small screws you'd have to go for a precision set i guess. Make sure though that the bits are magnetic, that will make it a lot easier to handle.

@rotauq , yes, precision set it'll be. Some online shopping to do.
@Doom! Yeah I hope. Now working with the alleen key that was delivered with the car and/or the shocks. Just nowhere to grip and control the direction of the screw with one and and controlling the car/part/loose item with the other. I have not the largests of hands, but still struggling.

And after some more Google help I need 1,3mm drivers..

Last edited:
@Bustedaw11 looks like I now have the same tyres.. look too large for the car. Trimming the body not really an option with the hard body.
So back to Ali express it is!

View attachment 320110

Wow those do look big with those wheel wells don't they. I'm gonna be ordering some 58's for mine to try soon.
How you like that steering link?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back