Senton Senton 4x4 mega brushless conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned back in 1989 because I often had to fix the garbage they sold us back then and I still make sloppy solder joints sometimes. Like you said, it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it works ;)
I was only 6 years old in 1989 and my dad wouldn't allow me to use solder at that time.

I was only 6 years old in 1989 and my dad wouldn't allow me to use solder at that time.
Yeah you probably should have a hand and eye and also be over 14 years old ??

and + if i get the new blx gears and the new metal pinion gear installed, would i be able to run a stronger, say 4s motor/esc setup on it? the arrma brand ones.
Even with 3s, it is hard enough to control the senton without tumbling it. If you changed the tires with a larger one, it wil be more managable.
20200729_190115.jpg

Even with 3s, it is hard enough to control the senton without tumbling it. If you changed the tires with a larger one, it wil be more managable.
View attachment 92196
Naw, I ran bigger tires for a bit on my senton and found it really doesn't matter, you gotta learn throttle control, let off when you're going into a tight turn (or even break when necessary) then hit the gas coming out...

The thing I love about the senton is it tends to like to be on its wheels so when it rolls it usually keeps rolling back on to its feet. If it stops on its side just turn into the ground and punch the throttle, that usually rights it...if it lands on its roof then you'll need some footage (manually flip/kick it over) ;)

Last edited:
Now, I ran bigger tires for a bit on my senton and found it really doesn't matter, you gotta learn throttle control, let off when you're going into a tight turn (or even break when necessary) then hit the gas coming out...

The thing I love about the senton is it tends to like to be on its wheels so when it rolls it usually keeps rolling back on to its feet. If it stops on its side just turn into the ground and punch the throttle, that usually rights it...if it lands on its roof then you'll need some footage (manually flip/kick it over) ;)
of course, but it does helps a bit and it looks cooler :sneaky:

Oh yeah I do. In fact. I am planning to convert all of my rc connectors to xt90. So I can use the telemetry on my rc6gs to monitor the battery voltage.
Yes! Give in to the powah! Join the dark side and we can rule the universe :p

Seriously though, when soldering the power cables to the connectors it will whick a lot of heat so you will have to get it very warm. Also, make sure you strip the wires and tin them(tinning is applying solder to a wire so that it is covered fly with solder). Ideally you'll want to have solder all the way through the tinned area. Soldering connectors will be good practice ;)

I do have a soldering iron but I am kinda new to soldering. I did solder a few stuffs already and it works just not pretty. Xt90 is better than ec5? I have ordered the plug tho.
Personally, I prefer soldering EC5s. With those, you solder the cable to the bullet connector before putting it in the plastic housing. I have "soldered" some of those with only a lighter.

However, XT90 seems to be more prevalent across the RC world. So going for those might save you some soldering work in the long run.

Personally, I prefer soldering EC5s. With those, you solder the cable to the bullet connector before putting it in the plastic housing. I have "soldered" some of those with only a lighter.

However, XT90 seems to be more prevalent across the RC world. So going for those might save you some soldering work in the long run.
Yeah even my charger only have deans and xt60 oob. I watched youtube video on how to soldering xt90 connector and it looks easy enough.

Why do we discharge a lipo? I only use balance charging and storage charging so far.
When you use it in the vehicle, balance charge and especially when using storage if it is over 3.8 volts per cell it is discharging but the only time the connector will be an issue is in the vehicle because it's trying to pull high amperage but when using a charger they don't pull at such a high amperage.

When you use it in the vehicle, balance charge and especially when using storage if it is over 3.8 volts per cell it is discharging but the only time the connector will be an issue is in the vehicle because it's trying to pull high amperage but when using a charger they don't pull at such a high amperage.
What I mean is in my lipo charger, there are option to fast charge, balance charge, storage charge, discharge and charge. I don’t know what the discharging is for unless your battery is at the end of its life and you want to throw it away.

What I mean is in my lipo charger, there are option to fast charge, balance charge, storage charge, discharge and charge. I don’t know what the discharging is for unless your battery is at the end of its life and you want to throw it away.
That is exactly what discharge is for ;)

You can use adapters while charging without a lot of issue since lipo batteries are charged through the balance plug and only uses the large cables when discharging ;)
I think that is only true for some very low-end chargers. Usually you will need both.
Still, adapters should be no problem.

I think that is only true for some very low-end chargers. Usually you will need both.
Still, adapters should be no problem.
Naw, most chargers do not draw more than 5amps which is WAY below the threshold of any connector from deans up. I don't think I've seen any chargers that go above 5 amps so it shouldn't matter unless you have tiny connectors and tiny wires. Remember, a 50c battery can put out over 50 amps of power if pushed, you really won't have a lot of issues. The voltage can increase the likelihood of a bottleneck but at 5amps or lower you'd have to be pushing over 30 or 40 volts before it became a real fire hazard ;)

Number one rule is watch for heat, if your wires or connectors are getting hot they are impeding flow too much which is what happens when you drive 3s on a deans connector. They're just not made to efficiently pass power along.

Also, the reason I chose xt90 is for future proofing and also they are easier to ug in than other connectors, not always so easy to unplug though which can be a good thing when bashing ;)

It's worth the swap and you can find batteries with xt90 already connected (usually 3s or higher). Also saw that arrma had started putting xt90's on some of their models out of the factory...can't remember which one, think it may have been the mojave...not 100% but I have seen them out of the box before.

It really doesn't matter what connectors you use as long as they are "big" enough ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back