Senton Senton BLX vs Slash Platinum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really, I would say personal preference and parts support depending on your location of course. Pretty much everyone carries Traxxas Parts, even some auto parts stores. Arrma is a little bit harder to get parts unless you do all your shopping online and like to wait for parts.

Now of course there are caveates on both sides. With the slash if you want a decent basher that will hold up like the Senton you need to spend a decent amount of money on after market parts. Senton on the other hand has most of the parts that you need to upgrade on the slash already beefed up. Of course with the Senton part support locally is a bit harder to come by.

I did toss the Stock ESC/Motor from an E Revo Brushless into my slash so of course my parts started to go to hell really quick.

I own both so this is from personal experience.

My slash was given a castle 3 sidewinder and pretty much dogged the internals.

Yeah, from what I have read, if your talking about the diffs. You really need to get the X0-1 diffs put in, pretty sure if I recall correctly the only real difference between the two of them is that the X0-1 has the I-Bar which is supposed to help out a lot. As for the rest you really need the Tekno Center Driveshaft and MIP X Duty Driveshafts front and rear. I have yet to have issues with the Diff but I do expect sooner or later I will have to go ahead and get the X0-1 Diff mod done. As for what I have had to do just to keep the slash running on my setup, I had to do the Tekno Center Driveshaft, the MIP X-Duty Driveshafts and King Headz Motor Mount because it has a much beefier bearing than the stuck, which I melted lol.

Yeah, from what I have read, if your talking about the diffs. You really need to get the X0-1 diffs put in, pretty sure if I recall correctly the only real difference between the two of them is that the X0-1 has the I-Bar which is supposed to help out a lot. As for the rest you really need the Tekno Center Driveshaft and MIP X Duty Driveshafts front and rear. I have yet to have issues with the Diff but I do expect sooner or later I will have to go ahead and get the X0-1 Diff mod done. As for what I have had to do just to keep the slash running on my setup, I had to do the Tekno Center Driveshaft, the MIP X-Duty Driveshafts and King Headz Motor Mount because it has a much beefier bearing than the stuck, which I melted lol.
This was for my 9 turning 10 yr old - got him ...a Slash 2x4 that made the motor sounds. When I was ten in 1977 - I think I landed space invaders for Atari 2600.he ran it into a lake, jumped it off of all types of nonsense. I think he went full on into a tree once... It eventually truly died an early death... That castle combo with the 3S Lipo really made it take off - had to cut a few vents in the shell...

Really, I would say personal preference and parts support depending on your location of course. Pretty much everyone carries Traxxas Parts, even some auto parts stores. Arrma is a little bit harder to get parts unless you do all your shopping online and like to wait for parts.

Now of course there are caveates on both sides. With the slash if you want a decent basher that will hold up like the Senton you need to spend a decent amount of money on after market parts. Senton on the other hand has most of the parts that you need to upgrade on the slash already beefed up. Of course with the Senton part support locally is a bit harder to come by.

I did toss the Stock ESC/Motor from an E Revo Brushless into my slash so of course my parts started to go to hell really quick.

I own both so this is from personal experience.

I have two local shops that sell Arrma, and stock some parts. The issue I am seeing - the 1/8 Arrmas break so seldom, my shops don't stock parts for them... LOL One shop has zero 1/8 parts (only some 1/10 parts) the other only has a few front arms, and some diff internals for the 1/8 cars...

I have two local shops that sell Arrma, and stock some parts. The issue I am seeing - the 1/8 Arrmas break so seldom, my shops don't stock parts for them... LOL One shop has zero 1/8 parts (only some 1/10 parts) the other only has a few front arms, and some diff internals for the 1/8 cars...
Personally - I considered part availability before I bought my Nero back in July. I work all day and now it's really getting dark early so I really run the trucks on weekends - so I don't mind ordering on the site. Get parts in 2/3 days usually. I ordered dogbones yesterday and they arrive Wed. Not bad. Since the Nero I've grabbed a Kraton V2 and just got a Senton BLX last week baby. Loving ARRMA .... might get the bigrock for xmas for myself....somebody stop me ....

If you swap to 2s, you will also need to swap in a proper 2s SCT motor. Something with 4 poles and about 4000kv.

I've heard good things about this motor -http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=112_132
Has anyone tried this? I love my senton the way it is, I have 3 Traxxas, tmaxx, 4x4 stampede, and an 1/8 scale powered 4x4 stampede, my senton is tougher than all of them, but I may have to run 2s at my local track, was thinking something around 3500kv cuz it is heavy, any thoughts?

The 550 motor is the size. The 1/10 comes with a 540 motor. The 550 Motor are longer than the 540 so the magnets are longer giving you extra power. If you search for Brushless 550 motor you will find lots of them.

What sort of 550 motor? On brushless motors I only know KV

A 540 motor is a "standard" 3650 size - 36mm diameter, and 50mm long can. The 550 sized motors are still 36mm, but can be 55-65mm long.

Before 4-pole motors were popular, and everyone ran 2-pole motors, the heavy 4wd SCT's needed the extra torque of the longer can to preform well. However, once 4-pole motors became popular, 540 4-pole motors are starting to become popular again...

A 540 motor is a "standard" 3650 size - 36mm diameter, and 50mm long can. The 550 sized motors are still 36mm, but can be 55-65mm long.

Before 4-pole motors were popular, and everyone ran 2-pole motors, the heavy 4wd SCT's needed the extra torque of the longer can to preform well. However, once 4-pole motors became popular, 540 4-pole motors are starting to become popular again...
Thanks for the info, I'm new to the trucks I've been running brushless motors in my helis and planes for years, now it makes sense! Lol, when I find something I'll post and see what you think, thanks again!

I am also looking at racing a Senton on 2s and found the XTM X-Series 550 SCT Powerplant - X60 ESC & BL Motor 3300kv combo. Looks to be a good choice.

Best regards,
Brian

Interesting thread as I am looking for a short course for my daughter. Not for racing and I got a Kraton for my son for Xmas. My 2 truggies I have today have been one a straight forward roller and the other was a broken roller bought at a good price and that is the thing with RC vs toys is that you can rebuild them not toys. Ok the Kraton is our first new RC car! From my research I was looking for a second hand racing grade roller cos if well choosen are in good condition and cheaper than a new car with some upgrades sometimes... and I already have all the electrics from my daughter's T4 (4400KV motor with HPI 3s ESC but running for now on 2s which is enough for her).

So I was looking for a TLR 22scte preferably 2WD but would take either, looking more the Slash seems a popular sc indeed with a fantastic range of standard and optional part which makes it an attractive option too.

Reading this thread makes the Senton a very attractive option too. Even more so now that I got my son a Kraton. But I can only find it in ARTR version which is too much for my budget, a roller version would be good but not available. So still making a second hand Slash or 22scte options for me. Though I would prefer a Senton as over time it would make sense if they are as robust as people say they are here.... hum....

Interesting thread as I am looking for a short course for my daughter. Not for racing and I got a Kraton for my son for Xmas. My 2 truggies I have today have been one a straight forward roller and the other was a broken roller bought at a good price and that is the thing with RC vs toys is that you can rebuild them not toys. Ok the Kraton is our first new RC car! From my research I was looking for a second hand racing grade roller cos if well choosen are in good condition and cheaper than a new car with some upgrades sometimes... and I already have all the electrics from my daughter's T4 (4400KV motor with HPI 3s ESC but running for now on 2s which is enough for her).

So I was looking for a TLR 22scte preferably 2WD but would take either, looking more the Slash seems a popular sc indeed with a fantastic range of standard and optional part which makes it an attractive option too.

Reading this thread makes the Senton a very attractive option too. Even more so now that I got my son a Kraton. But I can only find it in ARTR version which is too much for my budget, a roller version would be good but not available. So still making a second hand Slash or 22scte options for me. Though I would prefer a Senton as over time it would make sense if they are as robust as people say they are here.... hum....

Hi glxfr this is a link for a senton roller on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-A...873701?hash=item43fa85ae25:g:25EAAOSw7FRWYxPg

You really have to put some money into the slashes to get them to hold up, unless you buy the platinum version, those are $600 plus new, just to let you know, tower hobby has a 3 pay option that lets you pay 1/3 the the price once a month for three months equaling the total, they have coupons on there website which brings the cost of a senton down to under $400 shipped, comes with everything you need except batteries, for the senton you need 4s or 6s batteries, you can use two 2s batts or two 3s batts in series, although they're crazy fast in 6s, pretty tough truck though, love mine!

You really have to put some money into the slashes to get them to hold up, unless you buy the platinum version, those are $600 plus new, just to let you know, tower hobby has a 3 pay option that lets you pay 1/3 the the price once a month for three months equaling the total, they have coupons on there website which brings the cost of a senton down to under $400 shipped, comes with everything you need except batteries, for the senton you need 4s or 6s batteries, you can use two 2s batts or two 3s batts in series, although they're crazy fast in 6s, pretty tough truck though, love mine!
If you are a member of the tower hobbies rewards program thing you can get the senton for $366.99 and you can get the traxxas slash 4x4 platinum for $336.99 plus you need to get a radio system and paint the body. Were you thinking of the ultimate which is $589.95 which is basically just a platinum with radio and painted body?

If you are a member of the tower hobbies rewards program thing you can get the senton for $366.99 and you can get the traxxas slash 4x4 platinum for $336.99 plus you need to get a radio system and paint the body. Were you thinking of the ultimate which is $589.95 which is basically just a platinum with radio and painted body?
Your right, I was thinking of the slash ultimate, except tower doesn't allow you to use a coupon on most if not all Traxxas trucks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back