Senton Senton V3 Mega Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure on the difference between the two. I went with what my hobby shop said to use. I will take a pic of the driveshaft piece.
This what the adapter for the driveshaft looks like

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_131046860.jpg
    IMG_20201227_131046860.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
@Rhinoswinton

I just picked up the essential items (16t pinion & 27t pinion) and then the aluminum motor mount directly from horizonhobby.com

I will update this thread once I get it all together
because its a heavy mt that's why it need's the torque of the 3660. both are 3660 in the blx senton and granite
Well, crap. Might need to contact hobbywing quick then.

I went with the 3652 3300kv, is that sufficient for the senton?

@Rhinoswinton

I just picked up the essential items (16t pinion & 27t pinion) and then the aluminum motor mount directly from horizonhobby.com

I will update this thread once I get it all together

Well, crap. Might need to contact hobbywing quick then.

I went with the 3652 3300kv, is that sufficient for the senton?
i hope so i run the max10 4000kv in mine senton v3 on 2s

This is what’s on the box

View attachment 116151
You can definitely just get the brushless motor and throw it in and it will run. However you might not see a speed increase without a new pinion.

Higher speeds = more wear so thats where the essential/recommended parts come in
Not sure on the difference between the two. I went with what my hobby shop said to use. I will take a pic of the driveshaft piece.
This what the adapter for the driveshaft looks like
Any chance you can show where this piece is installed? I'm a little confused

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been digging through these posts and its hard to tell what is still valid info and what parts are even available. There are quite a few posts here already asking exactly what you are asking. But here is what I gathered are the recommended upgrades when going brushless from a v3 mega 550.

Brushless systems:
3s standard:
Motor: Brushless 3200kv Spektrum Firma ARA4303V3
ESC: Brushless BLX100 ESC Speed Control senton typhon ARA4303V3

Hobbywing:
Senton / typhoon: max 10 combo w/ 3652 motor rated at 3300kv or 4000kv

Granite: max 10 slt combo with 3660 motor rated at 3300kv or 4000kv (granite is heavier and the higher torque on the 3660 series matches well)

V3's state on the box they are brushless ready, so you could throw these in and go, but you are at a higher possibility of components to break. When you start wanting to put in different pinions or to simply reinforce, here are the upgrades you should be looking at.

Essential Durability Upgrades:
#ARA311034
HD 57T SLIPPER SET

#AR310881 SLIPPER SHAFT (paired with above slipper set for a proper fit)

#ARA310999 16T 0.8MOD SAFE-D5 PINION GEAR (or any pinion gear that matches the spur gear from the above slipper set)

Recommended Durability Upgrades:
#AR310878
CENTRE DRIVESHAFT HIGH SPEED SUPPORT SET

#ARA311032 ALUMINUM MOTOR MOUNT SET

#AR310883 MOTOR HEATSINK (may only fit the stock blx motor for the 3s)

Other pinion sizes
#ARA311002 19T 0.8MOD SAFE-D5 PINION GEAR
#ARA311004 21T 0.8MOD SAFE-D5 PINION GEAR
#ARA311010 27T 0.8MOD SAFE-D5 PINION GEAR (couple options on pinion sizes)

Updating post with part numbers to keep this clean.
You are an absolute legend. Im sure this post will help a lot of other people. Thanks mate.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been digging through these posts and its hard to tell what is still valid info and what parts are even available. There are quite a few posts here already asking exactly what you are asking. But here is what I gathered are the recommended upgrades when going brushless from a v3 mega 550.

Brushless systems:
3s standard:
Motor: Brushless 3200kv Spektrum Firma ARA4303V3
ESC: Brushless BLX100 ESC Speed Control senton typhon ARA4303V3

Hobbywing:
Senton / typhoon: max 10 combo w/ 3652 motor rated at 3300kv or 4000kv

Granite: max 10 slt combo with 3660 motor rated at 3300kv or 4000kv (granite is heavier and the higher torque on the 3660 series matches well)

V3's state on the box they are brushless ready, so you could throw these in and go, but you are at a higher possibility of components to break. When you start wanting to put in different pinions or to simply reinforce, here are the upgrades you should be looking at.

Essential Durability Upgrades:
#ARA311034
HD 57T SLIPPER SET

#AR310881 SLIPPER SHAFT (paired with above slipper set for a proper fit)

#ARA310999 16T 0.8MOD SAFE-D5 PINION GEAR (or any pinion gear that matches the spur gear from the above slipper set)

Recommended Durability Upgrades:
#AR310878
CENTRE DRIVESHAFT HIGH SPEED SUPPORT SET

#ARA311032 ALUMINUM MOTOR MOUNT SET

#AR310883 MOTOR HEATSINK (may only fit the stock blx motor for the 3s)

Other pinion sizes
#ARA311002 19T 0.8MOD SAFE-D5 PINION GEAR
#ARA311004 21T 0.8MOD SAFE-D5 PINION GEAR
#ARA311010 27T 0.8MOD SAFE-D5 PINION GEAR (couple options on pinion sizes)

Updating post with part numbers to keep this clean.
Hey long time no speak. I got all the upgrades as suggested and just realised the Hobbywing 3652 motor shaft is smaller than the Pinion Gear. They have what looks like a shaft sleeve but it’s rounded and the pinion Gear has a D shape. Any ideas of how I’m going to make this work?

Hey long time no speak. I got all the upgrades as suggested and just realised the Hobbywing 3652 motor shaft is smaller than the Pinion Gear. They have what looks like a shaft sleeve but it’s rounded and the pinion Gear has a D shape. Any ideas of how I’m going to make this work?

You will need a new pinion that fits that shaft diameter. If the new motor is more powerful you may want to order a pinion that is 1 or 2 teeth larger. Ideally get a couple of options in teeth size.

Alright... So my brushed motor fried yesterday which means I'm in the market for an upgrade as well. I already ordered a 3S slipper clutch with bearings and the input spline (red piece). I suspect I'm going to want to put MT tires on when these tires are worn out so I'm going to go with a 3660 (3200kv). I'm not too worried about top speed as our property isn't suited to high speed runs anyway, I could barely keep the senton straight at top speed on the brushed setup. What's the factory 3S senton pinion? I thought it was 20, but y'all have all kinds of sizes listed above. I'm thinking I should go with a 21 (assuming 20 stock) since I'm using a 3200kv instead of 4000kv motor. Should put me close to a stock 3S I think.

My Parts List:
- Stock 3S Slipper Assembly
- ARA311004 - Mod 0.8 21T Pinion
- HWA38010200 - (MAX10 w/ 3660SL 3200kV combo)
- ARA310878 - Center driveshaft support (it's $5, why not)

Am I barking up the right tree? Between these parts, the beetle body, paint, and MIP tools... I'll be $300 into stuff for my $200 truck in the first month.

Alright... So my brushed motor fried yesterday which means I'm in the market for an upgrade as well. I already ordered a 3S slipper clutch with bearings and the input spline (red piece). I suspect I'm going to want to put MT tires on when these tires are worn out so I'm going to go with a 3660 (3200kv). I'm not too worried about top speed as our property isn't suited to high speed runs anyway, I could barely keep the senton straight at top speed on the brushed setup. What's the factory 3S senton pinion? I thought it was 20, but y'all have all kinds of sizes listed above. I'm thinking I should go with a 21 (assuming 20 stock) since I'm using a 3200kv instead of 4000kv motor. Should put me close to a stock 3S I think.

My Parts List:
- Stock 3S Slipper Assembly
- ARA311004 - Mod 0.8 21T Pinion
- HWA38010200 - (MAX10 w/ 3660SL 3200kV combo)
- ARA310878 - Center driveshaft support (it's $5, why not)

Am I barking up the right tree? Between these parts, the beetle body, paint, and MIP tools... I'll be $300 into stuff for my $200 truck in the first month.

The MIP tools will last a long time, that’s an investment in tools for the hobby for sure. But yeah, that’s why we suggest the 3S right out of the gate. But upgrading is fun and it’s own reward, so that’s money well spent IMO.

That's fair. This being my first hobby grade RC, it's probably good I got the mega. The upgrade path will require me to learn some things before I spend the coin on better cars for the kids (and now the wife is talking about getting one).

The investment in the MIP tools is because I've already rounded out 3 screws on the Senton in 3 weeks... it's extremely aggrevating.

You will start to get a feel for how much force will strip a screw. Use less. If it won’t move, use heat. No need to get fancy, a lighter will usually do the trick, or a soldering iron.

3X BLX stock pinion is 20T so that is a good start IF you run the stock wheels and tires. If you put larger wheels and tires on it that increases the effective gear ratio and you may need to gear down. I’d start with 20T and monitor your temps.

You will start to get a feel for how much force will strip a screw. Use less. If it won’t move, use heat. No need to get fancy, a lighter will usually do the trick, or a soldering iron.

3X BLX stock pinion is 20T so that is a good start IF you run the stock wheels and tires. If you put larger wheels and tires on it that increases the effective gear ratio and you may need to gear down. I’d start with 20T and monitor your temps.
Yeah, I'm used to automotive stuff, it will take me a little time to adapt to these tiny socket head screws. Heat wouldn't have helped...I rounded them out putting them back in like a dummy.

Noted on the pinion. Thanks for confirming 20T. I'll start with 20 even though I'm running a lower reving motor, the top speed reduction isn't going to hurt me for my application.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back