Granite Shock tuning after installing longer (Typhon) arms on Granite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smirkracing

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Fireteam
  3. Gorgon
  4. Granite
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Typhon 6s
I swapped my Granite over to Typhon arms and turnbuckles all around, and the performance improvement is fantastic! Totally solved the traction roll problem at high speed on grass.

I am wondering if I need to do anything in terms of shock tuning (oil weight, spacers, maybe drill a different hole for the lower mounting point, etc). The longer arms definitely change the forces on the shocks, although I am not sure if it really matters much for general-purpose bashing around in the backyard.

Has anyone made specific changes to their shock set-up to account for the longer arms?

Thanks!

I have Typhon arms on my Granite. The wider stance makes it take turns wider. The longer arms flex more and provide a softer ride. Both these changes contribute to reducing traction roll, which is what you wanted. I don't think the change in arms requires a change in oil weight, spacers or mounting point. Any further adjustments depend on how you drive. You can adjust suspension springs, toe, and camber.

Softer suspension is better for soaking up bumps. Stiffer springs provide quicker steering response. Stiffer springs will also absorb more impact from landing jumps. Increasing toe out will turn tighter, but too much toe out will make steering twitchy and will reduce straight line tracking at high speed. More negative camber can reduce traction roll, but too much negative camber will wear tires unevenly, reduce stability at high speed, and decrease traction.

So, it all depends on how you drive. Do you want tighter steering? Do you want to smooth out bumps? Do you need more high-speed stability? Like you said, for general purpose bashing in the backyard, it may not really matter.

I like making tight turns, so I immediately noticed the wider turning radius when switching to Typhon arms. The main change I made was to increase the toe out to get the turning radius back. I may have also stiffened the springs slightly, but I can't remember.

Last edited:
I found i needed heavier shock oil in the front to make it feel more balanced with the rear. But im also running 6s shocks, so not sure how much that has to do with it.
Pushing up and down on the front and rear of the truck with the longer arms, it was very apparent that the front had less damping. I believe im running 50w rear and 70w front

@islandlife thanks for the reply. I have the 6s shocks sitting on the bench and have been meaning to try them out. I'll put them on and see what happens.

@GRC thanks for the knowledge. Much appreciated. So far my main goal was to eliminate traction rolling while blasting around at high speed on the grass (which is obviously a high-traction surface). That problem has been solved. I don't feel I've lost a meaningful amount of turning so I'll keep it as it and get more packs through it, and then try some of the things you suggest (like adjusting the toe, and then maybe camber). Thanks for pointing me at the right tuning options.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back