Granite Slipper clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am seeing the same thing now. Like on the inside rear cover of the power module there are clear wear marks from the spur gear. I guess it could be dirt trapped in there, but it looks like mine is for sure rubbing a bit. I saw people on here that put shims on that side to prevent that or sealed the gearbox to prevent dirt ingress. I might try that when I have to replace my current spur gear. Until then maybe it will just wear a groove that sorts out the problem. Maybe that's a bad plan.
I think it's a common problem. I have a faint circle on the rear cover of the power module also. The spur gear spins freely so it can't always be rubbing, but bumps, jolts and flexing probably causes contact. I recently put in some shims, it should help. The black plastic powder that collects inside the power module can cause problems. I had a motor bearing seize up and ended up needing a replacement motor. The bearing had that fine black plastic powder all over it.

I think it's a common problem. I have a faint circle on the rear cover of the power module also. The spur gear spins freely so it can't always be rubbing, but bumps, jolts and flexing probably causes contact. I recently put in some shims, it should help. The black plastic powder that collects inside the power module can cause problems. I had a motor bearing seize up and ended up needing a replacement motor. The bearing had that fine black plastic powder all over it.
What kind of shims (style and size) should I get and what side of the clutch did you put them on?
That shouldn’t be possible, unless you forgot the plate or pads in the assembly. I would take it all apart and lay the parts of the slipper in order in which they are assembled and compare that to the exploded parts diagram.
Eben the new slipper is doing the same thing. It came assembled
So it seems like when I put it all back together the spur gear is rubbing against the plastic housing
Here's the video

https://streamable.com/djqn2w

Last edited:
What kind of shims (style and size) should I get and what side of the clutch did you put them on?
They go on the outside of the bearings. In between the slipper clutch bearings and the power module casing. One on each side worked for me.

I got these, they work well, outer diameter fits perfectly
Then I used half a dozen of these HPI shims [15x12x0.5] on either side to stop most of the massive play I had between the spur and motor mount casings and they fit perfectly: HPI-101291

Another post I saw recently also recommended these, which may have a better fit on the inner diameter
I got these for my slipper. Says they’re made for bearings.

Calandra Racing 4740 10mm Inside Diameter Bearing Shims
I'm not sure if that noise in your video is from the slipper slipping or contact with the plastic housing. Is the slipper screw secure? Are your bearings rolling freely?

If it is contact with the power module, it should show up in marks on the inside of the power module. Can you take a photo of the inside? If there is contact, the shims should help. If there's contact, also check that if the aluminum motor mount is completely flat. Mine was flat, but I noticed the slipper was still not really centered. I replaced the plastic power module and it now it is centered. I think my power module got a bit tweaked over time. Take a picture of the bottom to see if the slipper is sitting correctly once the module is closed up.

Last edited:
They go on the outside of the bearings. In between the slipper clutch bearings and the power module casing. One on each side worked for me.

Another post I saw recently also recommended these, which may have a better fit on the inner diameter

I'm not sure if that noise in your video is from the slipper slipping or contact with the power module. Is the slipper screw well loc-tited? Are your bearings rolling freely?

If it is contact with the power module, it should show up in marks on the inside of the power module. Can you take a photo of the inside? If there is contact, the shims should help. Also check that if the aluminum motor mount or the plastic power module casing may be bent/tweaked. First, check that the motor mount is completely flat. Mine was, but I recently replaced the power module casing because I noticed the slipper was still really not centered in the module. Take a picture of the bottom to see if the slipper is sitting correctly once the module is closed up.
It is hitting induce the power module. I can see powder building up from it grinding inside

It is hitting induce the power module. I can see powder building up from it grinding inside
OK then check the aluminum mount and get the shims. If it still rubs, it may be the plastic housing. Oh, you should also make sure the screws attaching the aluminum mount to the motor are secure. And finally, is the motor pinion wobbling at all?

I'm not sure if that noise in your video is from the slipper slipping or contact with the plastic housing. Is the slipper screw secure? Are your bearings rolling freely?

If it is contact with the power module, it should show up in marks on the inside of the power module. Can you take a photo of the inside? If there is contact, the shims should help. If there's contact, also check that if the aluminum motor mount is completely flat. Mine was flat, but I noticed the slipper was still not really centered. I replaced the plastic power module and it now it is centered. I think my power module got a bit tweaked over time. Take a picture of the bottom to see if the slipper is sitting correctly once the module is closed up.
You might be on to something. It's not flat, left side is a little raised.

Attachments

• 15954643204884689683958923614806.jpg
    15954643204884689683958923614806.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 17
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back