Kraton SOLVED!!! What causes differential planetary gears to wear off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Beside lack of oil, what would cause the differential gears to wear off?
Bearings, CVD, drive shaft, suspensions, etc ?
All of the above?

I am on my 20th pack on my K8S, my rear diff casing broke and I noticed that the gears have lost some teeth.
I changed everything and while trying the new diff, the front one started to make noise! so I checked it to notice that the uper and lower (large) planetary gears are wearing off!
Is that a normal wear? or something else is causing it?

I usually check everything every 7-8 packs, and the differentials where checked only recently, cleaned and oiled again.
500k rear, 20mi center and 1mi front.
Any ideas?

Are the planetary gears in need of shims for you? Loose contact will cause wear. Arrma had a period where they dished out some really loose diffs back before the late V3 cars.

Did the casing screws back out? Mine did that and damaged the gears. Now I use little bit of rtv in the screw and they don't back out.

Are the planetary gears in need of shims for you? Loose contact will cause wear. Arrma had a period where they dished out some really loose diffs back before the late V3 cars.
No they do not.
Did the casing screws back out? Mine did that and damaged the gears. Now I use little bit of rtv in the screw and they don't back out.
No, nothing as such neither.

I finally found the reason!
Bent CVD and shafts (slightly in my case) causing vibrations and vibrations causing screws to brake or get loose.

IMG_3824.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back