Typhon Sorry but 3S vs 6S Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to ask this question but I’m trying to choose between the 3S and 6S models and having a hard time. Was settled on the 6 as I just assumed it was “better” but after more reading it doesn’t seem as clear cut.

Some people say 3S is more durable some say 6S.

Some people seem to prefer handling of the 3 over the 6 some vice versa (although I think more people seem to prefer the 3?).

3 is cheaper, lighter and easier to fix. 6 is faster.

First proper RC, for general use (bit of everything) not too bothered about initial outlay just want the best car.

What would you go for? Any advice?

Thanks.

Silly wabbit tricks are for kids 😂6s all day cause that need for speed will catch up to you then you on here asking how to go faster on 3s blah blah blah we all been there im on 8s with my typhon...

Edit I'm not dissing anyone that runs 3s, its all fun n games. After reading this post it sounded wrong my bad..

Sincerely yours 8s all day

Last edited:
6s here! Was never any real contest plus with the 6s u can drop down to 4s... But the 3s is as high as it's going to go without major mods. 6s is fun... U can also put the radio on 50% to slow it down lol. 6s was the right choice,then if that proves to be too much drop it down to 50% throttle... If that's still to much get urself a 4s battery and run at 50% on the radio. 6s you have options... Good luck!

Been watching two guys at work with these two different typhons. The 3s is an outstanding car. The 6s is a step above for sure. It is pretty excellent running on 4s battery. I would go 6s after having watched them both extensively.

I have both. 3s is fun, quick, and does handle nice....very nimble. 6s....is just a mean b1tch! Driving the 6s puts a HUGE grin on my face everytime I hit the throttle. If I could have only one, 6s all day.

It is faster...it is heavier....so when you crash...it does crash harder. Simple fact of physics. I really enjoy working on the 6s platform more actually. Both are easy to work on though.

I was in your situation a few months ago and went with the 3S version. Haven't regretted it for a moment, but it really does depend entirely on what you want to do with it and where your interests in the hobby predominantly lie.

I'm a total beginner. I run my Typhon on a small basketball court and in a field, often jumping it off a DIY ramp and attempting to do stunts. And then crashing. A lot... My upgrades to it, other than the 6S shocks I snagged from Jenny's, have mainly focused on durability, keeping debris out, and preventing it from overheating. What damage I've done to it has been easy and cheap to fix.

If you want to speedrun, or if you just enjoy the tinkering part of the hobby and having a vast array of highly specialized and custom upgrades available to you -- and if you have the wallet-capacity to support the generally steeper cost of maintaining a 6S rig -- go for the 6S! It's definitely a more 'serious' package, with more of your fellow enthusiasts brainstorming ways to squeeze out more speed and power. As such, you'll probably never really be 'done' upgrading and improving it.

If you suspect you're going to buy a 3S rig and will just end up replacing the motor & ESC before long, craving more power, you'd definitely be better off being a 6S platform from the get-go.

However, if you just want to drive a hobby-grade RC around at high speed, jumping it off stuff and upgrading it here or there, without breaking the bank whenever you do a particularly spectacular triple backflip into a tree, you really won't go wrong with the lower-cost 3S Typhon. The performance under those conditions is practically identical to its heavier sibling, and a lighter car replete with plastic bits can, ironically, be more durable than the shiny alumin(i)um-laden rigs when landing jumps.

I'm personally at the junction where I feel like I might actually make my rig worse if I try to add power and/or alloy parts. Which, for me, means I can focus more on just having fun with it.

Just my two eurocents. :geek:

Last edited:
For the money, I don't think you can beat the 3S, it's bloody brilliant. Stick some hoons on its and its epic on a tarmac track, she jumps great, great off road on stock tyres and cheap to replace any broken bits.

I have had mine nearly 3 months and haven't yet thought "I want faster" she handles great and ultimately I'm loving it

It's really down to personal preference and budget if that's a factor

It's also how much space you have there were 5 of us bashing on Sunday with a mixture of 6s and 3s, my 3s typhon was no slower than the 6s typhon on a tight track. I've also got a 6s hpi Vorza and I was no quicker than the 3s typhon. But on an open field the 3s just isn't fast enough that's where 6s/8s starts to make a difference. So for me it all depends on how much space you have to run them.

Hi,

Sorry to ask this question but I’m trying to choose between the 3S and 6S models and having a hard time. Was settled on the 6 as I just assumed it was “better” but after more reading it doesn’t seem as clear cut.

Some people seem to prefer handling of the 3 over the 6 some vice versa (although I think more people seem to prefer the 3?).

First proper RC, for general use (bit of everything) not too bothered about initial outlay just want the best car.

Thanks.
As in the 6s to powerful just remember not only can you run at 100%,75% or 50% but you can also run 4s in it and have fun and not get hot as quick. The 3s I've already had to wait for a replacement servo for 2mnths then within 2nmin of first run motor seized up. anotherb2 month backordered wait. So from December 23- April 2? Before repair got 2 runs and loved it. Now the servo has gone out again and the chassis cracked jumping a smoother ditch. Guess it was to much of an agle. Only came 1-2 ft off the ground. After I replace chassis, backordered, and servo warranted again, I'm taking a loss on it. Thay have a motor mount that suppose to keep debris out but somehow I've ended up with a pebble in there. Let alone grass and dirt. The 6s hase the aluminum chassis that let's all that out do to the centralized motor and opening in the back plus slot in the chassis to let debris bout. Given the chance again, would definitely have gone for the 6s. If you can afford it , pull the trigger on the 6sband treat yourself, there are several different punches giving YOU control of speed. If you bash jus be careful of that chassis, if it bends you will have fun if possible straining back out, if.not payin $100 plus for new chassis. 3s $25 chassi but not well made. I have since I baught the kraton 6s v5 and it is like (other than clearance) like truggified typhon the way it handles. Definitely stays planted better than the notorious 6s. 🤣

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Pretty even split on recommendations.

Being my first proper RC in truth I don’t 100% know how / where I’m going to use it yet beyond knowing I’m going to use it for everything I try as it’s the only one I’ll have. Not sure whether I’ll upgrade it or just fix it when required. Not keen on spending loads of time on maintenance though.

I think I’m erring on the side of the 6S at the moment.

Only things that concern me is whether the 3 would be more fun to drive being lighter etc. And also being in the UK means availability of batteries is not as good as the US and the only 100C batteries I can find that will fit are soft case. Is that a concern for bashing etc? I would have thought the battery is fairly well protected in the car anyway? Would prefer hardcase but they just don’t fit.

You don't need 100c batteries. If you think you'll need that sort of battery to power a 3s you may as well go with the 6s and be prepared to govern the power. Edit 30c - 50c is fine for bashing.

For standard bashing however the 3s has tons of power and speed. My mate runs his Typhon 3s on 75% most of the time due to the area and sort of terrain we drive in. At 100% 50mph is very fast if your terrain is not dead flat.

But the lure of the 6s and the ability to vary the power delivery would be so very tempting.

Was really just going on what Arrma recommends on their site: 100C for 6S and 35C for 3S. If going for 3S can easily fit a hardcase battery in there. 6S can’t. Just not sure if that’s a problem or if soft case is actually fine?

Last edited:
As in the 6s to powerful just remember not only can you run at 100%,75% or 50% but you can also run 4s in it and have fun and not get hot as quick. The 3s I've already had to wait for a replacement servo for 2mnths then within 2nmin of first run motor seized up. anotherb2 month backordered wait. So from December 23- April 2? Before repair got 2 runs and loved it. Now the servo has gone out again and the chassis cracked jumping a smoother ditch. Guess it was to much of an agle. Only came 1-2 ft off the ground. After I replace chassis, backordered, and servo warranted again, I'm taking a loss on it. Thay have a motor mount that suppose to keep debris out but somehow I've ended up with a pebble in there. Let alone grass and dirt. The 6s hase the aluminum chassis that let's all that out do to the centralized motor and opening in the back plus slot in the chassis to let debris bout. Given the chance again, would definitely have gone for the 6s. If you can afford it , pull the trigger on the 6sband treat yourself, there are several different punches giving YOU control of speed. If you bash jus be careful of that chassis, if it bends you will have fun if possible straining back out, if.not payin $100 plus for new chassis. 3s $25 chassi but not well made. I have since I baught the kraton 6s v5 and it is like (other than clearance) like truggified typhon the way it handles. Definitely stays planted better than the notorious 6s. 🤣
Dude...you can get a 6s chassis for less than $20!

I agree with Glenn75, the main criteria is how much space you have. I live in Queens, NYC, so I have limited space. The Granite 3s is perfect for me. I can have fun ramp jumping within a 100 foot stretch. With limited space, finding safe places to hit top speed is already challenge, 6s would be overkill. But if I lived in an area with open areas to run, there's no doubt 6s would be the way to go.

Last edited:
I have both. I use the 3s more. Speed is over rated. 3s is pretty fast and a lot more fun in most situation. 6s will cause more to begin with. To get the speed you need bigger and more expensive battery. don't forget if you go 6s route make sure your battery fits. Less money more fun 3s. Just my 2c

Hi,

Thanks.
Earlier this year I was buying my first RC, 3s Big Rock. Sold out everywhere. Saw a Typhon 6s at a great price and went for it. The guys advising to run at 50% full throttle to you get the hang of it are spot on. It won’t be long b4 u go 75% then full 6s. You’re also going from a lot of plastics to a lot of metal. Bang for buck it’s a better deal and You can always truggify later on.

Go with 6s. You can always run it on 4s. If u don't like it, sell it. At the right price EVERYTHING will sell...

I have both, love both. The 6s is way more planted and handles better all around, but the 3s (converted to 4s) is lower maintenance and easier to swap between truggified (basically big rock at that point) and street. For dickin around in the backyard I go to the truggified 3s (4s) 90% of the time. There's something about the simplicity of a 3s or 4s lightweight rig that makes it easier to grab & go, too.

For the record, my fastest car is a 3s typhon with a 6s esc and 4s motor- it'll break 100mph soon (last pulls were 96-97mph). I don't have any plans to gear the 6s anywhere near as fast. It's more for rally driving.

I have both. I use the 3s more. Speed is over rated. 3s is pretty fast and a lot more fun in most situation.

Thanks for the replies, why is it more fun? Does it actually handle better? Or or is it just because its a bit slower / less powerful? Or just the physiological factor that if you break it, it’s not too much effort / cost to repair?

I have both, love both. The 6s is way more planted and handles better all around, but the 3s (converted to 4s) is lower maintenance and easier to swap between truggified (basically big rock at that point) and street. For dickin around in the backyard I go to the truggified 3s (4s) 90% of the time. There's something about the simplicity of a 3s or 4s lightweight rig that makes it easier to grab & go, too.

For the record, my fastest car is a 3s typhon with a 6s esc and 4s motor- it'll break 100mph soon (last pulls were 96-97mph). I don't have any plans to gear the 6s anywhere near as fast. It's more for rally driving.

Thanks for the reply. Why would you say the 3S is simpler to just grab? Is it just less worry / expense of breaking it? Obviously the prep of charging the batteries etc is pretty similar?

If you had to keep only 1, which would it be?

Also, why not gear up the 6S for the speed runs? Why use the 3S? I would have thought there’d be more potential in the 6S?

It seems that a lot of people who own both seem to say the 3S is more fun. I’m just trying to figure out why that is. Is it just because lighter cars are more fun in general? Or slightly slower cars are more fun / less demanding to drive? Or is it something specifically to do with the Typhon models.

Particulairy interested in people who have owned or used both.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think for me it is because the 3s is cheaper. A bit easier to work on and is more of a “toy”. The 6s is a legit hobbygrade machine with a bigger price tag and more real maintenance etc required.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back