Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some "test" runs today but frustratingly I couldn't go full WOT because of someones idiot parking. :rolleyes:

To me it seems like the extra money it cost me to get the Dynamite GPS was/is worth it because even with not being able to go full WOT or use a decent length of road for accelerating/braking I still achieved 77mph today. I know that's not super fast but it was more about the space I had to work with as well as I think if I'd be using my old speed meter it would have read less (maybe just high 60's, early 70's).

The motor got hot because of some repeated short runs but I think the fans are definitely doing their job as I had no thermal cut outs. The rear motor fan though has worn (paint come off) a very small part of the body shell where it obviously touches and vibrates.
Not a big deal at all but just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was/is considering doing the same set up so they have all the facts.

I think when I buy a new body shell to paint I will add some tough tape or similar there to stop it rubbing through the paint job.
Any suggestions on body tape for that sort of thing appreciated please?
Aluminium foil tape maybe??

I did some "test" runs today but frustratingly I couldn't go full WOT because of someones idiot parking. :rolleyes:

To me it seems like the extra money it cost me to get the Dynamite GPS was/is worth it because even with not being able to go full WOT or use a decent length of road for accelerating/braking I still achieved 77mph today. I know that's not super fast but it was more about the space I had to work with as well as I think if I'd be using my old speed meter it would have read less (maybe just high 60's, early 70's).

The motor got hot because of some repeated short runs but I think the fans are definitely doing their job as I had no thermal cut outs. The rear motor fan though has worn (paint come off) a very small part of the body shell where it obviously touches and vibrates.
Not a big deal at all but just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was/is considering doing the same set up so they have all the facts.

I think when I buy a new body shell to paint I will add some tough tape or similar there to stop it rubbing through the paint job.
Any suggestions on body tape for that sort of thing appreciated please?
Aluminium foil tape maybe??
A little Gorilla tape will more than suffice. Congrats on the 77 mph run!

A little Gorilla tape will more than suffice. Congrats on the 77 mph run!
I thought of Gorilla tape but I wondered if that might wear through easier than aluminium tape?

Thanks ~ 83mph is my current PB but I know mine has a lot more in it (geared for 130mph odd :devilish::LOL: ). Whether the stock motor/ESC combo is capable of that though we'll hopefully find out.

Fans look awesome..??

I would be tempted to cut holes in the body above the fan intakes so as not to restrict the flow..?
Cheers Brian.
I do already have a plan in mind for more airflow, ...I'm hoping to get a new clear Typhon body shell at some point this year to paint and I've already bought some body scoops which I will be using one or two of to allow more air under the body.

Today I modded my droop screws, test ran it and also did some speed runs setting a new PB for me so pretty good days fun with the Typhon. :D

My droop screws were pretty close to the edge of the metal so I decided to try to rectify it before it became a problem. As it was (sorry for the poorly focused photo).
76.JPG

I tried a few ideas before I settled on using some M3 nylock nuts which I fitted upside down in order to give them more surface area on the chassis plate (picture below). I'm still using the standard droop screws FYI but just with the nylocks on them now.
79.JPG

The nylon should stop them from coming loose too which is an added bonus. I then readjusted my ride height to go slightly lower at the front then I was before also adding more rake to the angle.
78.JPG

I felt a bit more confident in going lower on the front now with the added stiffness my heavier weight shock oil and Hot Racing Nero springs afford me. Then I went out for testing.....
New PB achieved of 97mph. ?
82 New PB of 97mph.JPG

Very pleased with that especially as I'd already done a fair few runs before hand so the battery wasn't even half charged at a guess.

I then forcibly got my Mrs to film one of my runs much to her dismay. ?
Honestly though she's great, didn't moan really and puts up with me so I'm happy.

Hope you're enjoying the thread so far all. Feedback always appreciated. (y)

Last edited:
I got to get out and do some runs. Did a test yesterday in front of my house, battery dead on Dynamite. Could only get one decent test run, before Mamba X did a overheat shut down. Came in and mounted up an extra fan for the ESC. Shimmed the front wheels, adjusted the servo position. Might test later today. I have a MXLX to try, but not much room, and that thing is huge! I'm thinking I may have to go to a slightly larger spur gear, to help with the heat issue. Now running a 34. Anybody have any links to a larger spur for the HR hub?:)

I'm thinking I may have to go to a slightly larger spur gear, to help with the heat issue. Now running a 34. Anybody have any links to a larger spur for the HR hub?:)
So you're running a 34T spur gear then?

I'm running a Hot Racing 38T spur gear. I bought it from Power Hobby, USA and had it imported to the UK so I'm happy to recommend them.
Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Raci...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Another spur gear I was watching on eBay made by Hot Racing is a 42T version in case you wanted more teeth.
Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Raci...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Both of those will work with the Hot Racing centre spool. (y)

Today I modded my droop screws, test ran it and also did some speed runs setting a new PB for me so pretty good days fun with the Typhon. :D

My droop screws were pretty close to the edge of the metal so I decided to try to rectify it before it became a problem. As it was (sorry for the poorly focused photo).
View attachment 37390

I tried a few ideas before I settled on using some M3 nylock nuts which I fitted upside down in order to give them more surface area on the chassis plate (picture below). I'm still using the standard droop screws FYI but just with the nylocks on them now.
View attachment 37391

The nylon should stop them from coming loose too which is an added bonus. I then readjusted my ride height to go slightly lower at the front then I was before also adding more rake to the angle.
View attachment 37392

I felt a bit more confident in going lower on the front now with the added stiffness my heavier weight shock oil and Hot Racing Nero springs afford me. Then I went out for testing.....
View attachment 37393

Very pleased with that especially as I'd already done a fair few runs before hand so the battery wasn't even half charged at a guess.

Honestly though she's great, didn't moan really and puts up with me so I'm happy.

Nice run... Looks like you had lots more in the tank!

Nice run... Looks like you had lots more in the tank!
Thanks. Was a really good day and lots of fun.

Don't know about "lots more" but I don't think it's fully peaked with the standard motor/ESC combo just yet. ;)
I'd already done a load of passes before I got my Mrs to film so the battery was depleted and the motor/ESC hot by that point, ...not sure if I'll get a chance to run it again next weekend although I'm so close to the 100mph milestone now that it is getting really exciting.

View attachment 37390

View attachment 37391

View attachment 37392

View attachment 37393

Congrats on the new PB! I like what you've done with the wing! Looks great!

Congrats on the new PB! I like what you've done with the wing! Looks great!
Thanks I'm really chuffed with it as it's not far off triple digits now.

The wing is one of my favourite parts that I've modded, ...wasn't sure how well it would work with it being from another R/C but thought it was worth trying to do. It's lighter than the Arrma one it replaced and I'm sure it's there to stay now. (y)

Just out of curiosity more than anything else but also because someone did mention it on another R/c forum I'm on I thought I'd weigh my Typhon.

According to the advertised specs a standard V3 Arrma Typhon 6S weighs 3.27kg/7lbs 3oz (without a battery).

My Typhon currently weighs in at 3.42kg/7lbs 5oz (without battery).
Bear in mind that is including everything I've added like the Traxxas 5446 modified wing, Dynamite speed meter, GRP tyres, heat sinks and WTF fans including wiring so not too bad really.

With my 6S Turnigy Nano-Tech Plus battery the Typhon weighs in at 4.22kg/9lbs 3oz.

@ninadada @cootertwo and any other Typhon owners reading be interested to know what your Typhons weigh in at. (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back