Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Liberty.
I'll have a go at a redesign then of the rear wing and definitely add something to the front ~ it will only be something small to stay within the ROSSA rules but should help I hope.
Will post in here what I make. (y)

FYI that's an old record as we've beat the Aussies since. :p:LOL:
152.53mph is the "Open Wheel" world record at ROSSA currently set by Martin Peace.

Many ways to build the wing, but I had designed something to be 3d printed at one point that might inspire some ideas.

Features:
  • Countersunk screw holes for smooth surface
  • Rounded wing end plates for low drag
  • Airfoil with an angle of attack and camber curve.
  • Tucked a good bit of the mount inside the wing

PETG Wing Capture.JPG

under wingCapture.PNG

Sadly I cannot find the files for this one as it was nearly 2 years ago.

Many ways to build the wing, but I had designed something to be 3d printed at one point that might inspire some ideas.

Features:
  • Countersunk screw holes for smooth surface
  • Rounded wing end plates for low drag
  • Airfoil with an angle of attack and camber curve.
  • Tucked a good bit of the mount inside the wing
Sadly I cannot find the files for this one as it was nearly 2 years ago.
Thanks and definitely giving me ideas. ;)
My original wing was my first ever carbon fibre made wing and I have since made what I feel are better improvements on my own manufacturing process & designs. For example I didn't even round my edges before whereas now I always round my edges especially on leading edges.

Lots to do but as soon as I've time I'll be getting right on the design. (y)

Love the paint job!
Few things you might look into.

1. See how you can move the front shocks in some and bring their overall height down. Could you go without front springs/shocks or is the pavement there too rough?

2. Streamline the arms. For some inspiration check out my crazy new project https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/project-aero-max-arrma-6s-based-speed-runner.56513/
Cheers buddy.
Your new project looks fantastic. Going to be very interested in seeing how that goes for you.

Last time we talked about the wings and I'll definitely be doing something different with them as well as looking at what you've mentioned above. I could run no shocks I'm sure yes so will look at that whilst I am coming up with my front wing idea/mounting location. :) ;)

Cheers buddy.
Your new project looks fantastic. Going to be very interested in seeing how that goes for you.

Last time we talked about the wings and I'll definitely be doing something different with them as well as looking at what you've mentioned above. I could run no shocks I'm sure yes so will look at that whilst I am coming up with my front wing idea/mounting location. :) ;)
Good luck man!
Looking forward to it

@LibertyMKiii ~ tuned the suspension today.
Cut my front carbon fibre tower down, added fixed tierod front suspension and put the front shock absorbers on the rear adding new limiters.
202 New ride height.jpg

203 Front shocks now fitted to rear.jpg

205.jpg

Pretty happy now with the way it sits.
Need to sort out the revised wings still and going to try to lower the height of the rear wing some but getting there. (y)

@LibertyMKiii ~ tuned the suspension today.
Cut my front carbon fibre tower down, added fixed tierod front suspension and put the front shock absorbers on the rear adding new limiters.
View attachment 252979

View attachment 252980

View attachment 252981

Pretty happy now with the way it sits.
Need to sort out the revised wings still and going to try to lower the height of the rear wing some but getting there. (y)

Looks great! I assume on those events they remove 99% of all the lose pebbles/rocks so you can afford to run that low.
Any plans to make a nose for the car?

Looks great! I assume on those events they remove 99% of all the lose pebbles/rocks so you can afford to run that low.
Any plans to make a nose for the car?
We remove as much as we can see but no chance of getting rid of everything. Being close to the seaside it's more sand, rabbit droppings and dead slugs than anything else though. :LOL:

Yep still got ideas for the aero ~ want to try to use the original front bumper mount to fix some type of front wing/nose in place just not quite sure yet on the design. (y)

@LibertyMKiii took my time getting around to it but finally finished the mods to my Typhon for this year.
No idea how it's going to run but that's part of the fun ~ raised the front a little from my last post, added front splitter and wing, new rear wing (slightly further forward) & an LED light bar for more visibilty.

207 Front splitter & wing set up.jpg

211 New rear wing & LED lightbar.jpg

212.jpg

@LibertyMKiii took my time getting around to it but finally finished the mods to my Typhon for this year.
No idea how it's going to run but that's part of the fun ~ raised the front a little from my last post, added front splitter and wing, new rear wing (slightly further forward) & an LED light bar for more visibilty.

View attachment 291278

View attachment 291279

View attachment 291280
Should be plenty of front downforce now. I like that the front is modular so you can remove it and try with just the limitless front wedge.

Should be plenty of front downforce now. I like that the front is modular so you can remove it and try with just the limitless front wedge.
Hope so and I had the Limitless front wedge left over from my Limitless so made sense to try it.

Always interesting trying new ideas. (y)

Just read through this whole thread as I'd somehow missed it. Interesting to see the whole journey and find someone else in the UK.
Do you have any plans for a wider front wing that could throw air up and over the front wheels?

Just read through this whole thread as I'd somehow missed it. Interesting to see the whole journey and find someone else in the UK.
Do you have any plans for a wider front wing that could throw air up and over the front wheels?
Not permitted in the open wheel class per ROSSA rules.

Not permitted in the open wheel class per ROSSA rules.
That's not how I'd interpret the rules
"Custom or commecial bodyshell that must not cover the wheels"
As long as the wing is in front of the wheels and not covering them wouldn't this be fine?

That's not how I'd interpret the rules
"Custom or commecial bodyshell that must not cover the wheels"
As long as the wing is in front of the wheels and not covering them wouldn't this be fine?
They have this side note posted to clarify it:

"Note: The Open Wheel classes are for buggy type cars rather than F1 style chassis. Technical inspection will decide if the entry qualified for the open wheel class or should be entered into any of the above classes. This is to promote fair competition. For the open wheel class you can add aerofoil devices to the body or chassis as long as the wheels are visible from the top 100%, wheels on the right side when viewed from that side 100% , wheels on the left side when viewed from that side 100%, front wheels when viewed from the front 100%, rear wheels when viewed from the rear 100%."

This means nothing can be in front of the wheels basically...

Glad you enjoyed the thread. (y)
There are a fair few UK members on here but obviously we are a minority on here. :LOL: I had no idea how far I would go with the Typhon when I started the thread but it was purchased purely for speed running so I wanted to document my journey.
Hopefully it will help others wishing to try speed running, giving them some inspiration or help with set up ideas.

Thank you @LibertyMKiii for answering the question regarding the front wing. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back