2 Broken Spektrum Transmitters in 1 Week

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a DX5C.
In retropsopect I wish I never invested in Spektrum or any of their Rx's. AVC feature sucks and their Rx's are finicky and expensive, compared to Radiolink and Flysky Rx's.
I am very happy with the Radiolink RC6GS. Best long range. Full featured. RC4GS will save you a bit more coin. Same performance. Just 2 less channels.
I also have Flysky Noble NB4. These are both great radios at extreme different pricepoints.
Why would you even consider buying another Spektrum Radio, after all this? I hope it's not because you are enticed by the whole Smart Eco thing.(n)
Cut your losses with Spektrum... You have other way better options out there.
Thanks for your input & experience. I only have the specktrum batteries that came with my very first charger/battery combo. Since then I haven't bought anything from them. Always felt overpriced for what I'm getting. The "smart" features do nothing for me except make it harder to find compatibility with other products (understand, specktrum wants their stuff proprietary).

At First, all I was thinking of going with a new rx/tx for all my vehicles moving forward.

The only thing leaning me more toward a DX5 is ease of hooking up to all my RTR Arrma's. Only modifications I've made to my vehicles is what breaks up to this point. Maybe you can sway me with how easy the swap of a RX is? As of now I would only have to this for my Mojave & Infraction. Electronics have always been my technical weakness, but anything mechanical I understand pretty well.

If you can find the DX5C by itself, no Rx, for $100..00, go for it, since you are all in with the Spektrum Rx's. I get it. That is what sucked me in with my DX5C. Just I regret doing that. RC6GS clearly blows that away. Hands down, IMO. The DX5C Power button can fail easily. Either won't turn On or Off, Sometimes Powers On by itself sitting there on the shelf. Or shuts Off on you while bashing. Intermittently. A PIA. Happened to my first DX5C under warranty.

I own a DX5C and a DX5 Pro. Both are good radios, but the DX5 Pro really is worth the difference in price. The build quality is better, and its power button isn’t infuriating lol. It’s a super sensitive button, in a location that allows literally anything near it turn the radio on.

But with that being said, I legit am thinking about selling both of them. The DumboRC DDF 350 is better than both in my opinion, and is like $75 brand new with receiver. New receivers are like $10-$15, and have gyros. I absolutely love this thing.

What rebrand is this dumbo from.

Clipboard01.jpg

Everything I’ve read, it’s just a subsidiary of radiolink. I’m pretty much convinced that they’re a legitimate threat to the big brands.
Im not kidding. I had to use my DX5 Pro today because both trucks I ran were set up on it, and I was legit bummed. That Dumbo is so much nicer to use, and feels more solid.

Everything I’ve read, it’s just a subsidiary of radiolink. I’m pretty much convinced that they’re a legitimate threat to the big brands.
Im not kidding. I had to use my DX5 Pro today because both trucks I ran were set up on it, and I was legit bummed. That Dumbo is so much nicer to use, and feels more solid.

I'm getting a feeling that a Dumbo is in my future...
baby animals elephant GIF by Disney

Ur paying for the name

^^^
Yeah the whole benefit of a Multi-model/memory radio is basically one radio and done. That next new Rig only needs a $15.00 Rx, and you are golden. How its done. A thing.
Some guys want that extra RC with its very own radio. I get that. Having a friend RC along with you. Just I would never upgrade to a single model memory Radio. With no radio features. Makes zero sense. Not much of any upgrade when you think about it. Even the RC4GS is a great multi-model radio for even less $$.
Collecting another RTR radio for that next RC gets crazy. Storing Radios and dealing with all their dead batteries gets tired quick.

Lil late to this thread but I switched to Flysky Noble a year ago and love it! Perfect for me as a basher. I had the rugged and I think the spektrum stuff literally feels like child's toys compared to the Noble. Only issue is range if you get the receivers without antennas. The larger ones are fine.

The only thing leaning me more toward a DX5 is ease of hooking up to all my RTR Arrma's. Only modifications I've made to my vehicles is what breaks up to this point. Maybe you can sway me with how easy the swap of a RX is? As of now I would only have to this for my Mojave & Infraction. Electronics have always been my technical weakness, but anything mechanical I understand pretty well.
Getting a DX5C, you still have to Bind all your Spektrum Rx's to it anyway. Nothing easier about remaining with Spektrum at all. Spektrum marketting will have you think otherwise. And their Rx's are stupid expensive. Makes no sense, in the long haul. A Spektrum AVC/Telem Rx for instance is like $90.-$100.. More than a DX5C radio itself costs. A rip off. A Radiolink Rx has a Gyro built in and costs 1/4 the price. You can even disable the Gyro if you don't want that feature.
Why not just toss all that Spektrum RTR Rx stuff, sell it off or whatever. You really need to embrace RC electronics well enough. Just part of this hobby. And not that hard once you do it a few times. And I never felt the DX5 Pro was all that much better performance wise. The DX5C and Pro both run the exact same identical RaceWare F/W anyway. Same features. Same radio performance. Pro= Costs more. There is nothing Pro about it except for its Name and a few aesthetical things so it looks "Pro" to play the part.
Want a real Pro radio , look to $Futaba$ and the rest.

Last edited:
I have a used dx5 pro I don't use that came with a rig off the forum..just remembered 🤔

Lil late to this thread but I switched to Flysky Noble a year ago and love it! Perfect for me as a basher. I had the rugged and I think the spektrum stuff literally feels like child's toys compared to the Noble. Only issue is range if you get the receivers without antennas. The larger ones are fine.
The RX with no Antennas are only good for running at a Track.
With Wide open bashing, you need the better Rx for the NB4. Been there. Know what you mean. TBH, you cant compare an NB4 with a Spektrum. Different price points.
I stand firm... The DX5 Pro is absolutely a rip off at its pricepoint.
Also, I would never buy any Upgrade radio that has Analog knobs. You are selling yourself short.
All digital with a screen and multimodel makes the most sense when dropping coin on radio's.

Last edited:
The RX with no Antennas are only good for running at a Track.
WIth Wide open bashing, you need the better Rx for the NB4. Been there. Know what you mean. TBH, you cant compare an NB4 with a Spektrum. Different price points.
I stand firm... The DX5 Pro is absolutely a rip off at its pricepoint.
Also, I would never buy any Upgrade radio that has Analog knobs. You are selling yourself short.
All digital with a screen and multimodel makes the most sense when dropping coin on radio's.
I can’t remember what I paid for my rugged(way too much) and noble right off the top of my head. But I just looked them up and the rugged cost more now. It felt like a toy to me so I sold it. Noble comes with 2 rx’s..

So the power button on my Mojave decides to break randomly during a bash session. I take it apart amd decide it's not worth fixing.

Next day I take my infraction out for a quick spin and the trigger decides to get shifted to one side.

Not sure how either of these happened, but rather than direct replacing I'm thinking of upgrading.

As of right now I'm looking at 3 options:

- Radiolink Rc6GS
-Dumbo RC X6
- DX5 Rugged looks overpriced but I like the look

Budget less than $150 including a few receivers. This will be my first transition away from original radios, but looks like installs are relatively easy?

I appreciate anyone's input for installs or recommendations on radios.

View attachment 331607

View attachment 331608
I had one so the same thing, at least it's covered under warranty.lol

The switch also broke on my Notorious TX and I didn't get to play the third or fourth time I went to use it. The switch is supported by two pins soldered to the board, and every time it is pressed, it creates something like a lever that forces the Pins and finally they break. I didn't change TX, I just bridged with solder on the board and now I take out one battery.
VERY bad design!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back